Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #11

Ha just happened to.me.this weekend, never camped this early. Yup outside hose frozen, I have an outside filter , that froze with the quick disconnect. The rig one was fine. So there i was with the hairdryer heating them up. Worked fine. I was wondering why the campsite store had sooo many electric heated hoses. You live you learn. I know now I just disconnect from pipe let drain then in am hookup. Mine attach into a locked compartment so theft not a big worry.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #12

Camping in freezing temperatures

If your furnace and / or additional electric heaters are on you shouldn't worry too much about freezing water lines inside the trailer overnight unless its really below freezing. You could pour some RV (plumbers) antifreeze down your toilet and into a drain so it sits in your grey water tank next to the drain valve with the valve closed. Take your outside hose connection in for the night or put a few stripes of foam pipe insulation over the hose. Keep cupboard doors open where water lines run behind. Crack open a window and roof vent to keep condensation from forming on windows. Turn on the tank heater if so equips. Run a little hot and cold water from time to time to keep water moving in the lines, keep hot water tank running and if it gets really cold crack open a cold water tap and let a tiny dribble of water stream through to the tank

Old 03-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
Never Stop Exploring

Golfnbike13: BTW, did you rely on your furnace or some other form of heat in your 195BH? If just the furnace did it work well? and was the blower fan noise an issue when sleeping?

We have same trailer but don't use the 19K BTU furnace at all. We use a portable oil filled radiator for hookups and plan to use our 3K BTU catalytic converter for dry camping. We just replaced our single propane tank with dual 20lb tanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #14

We disconnect hose and filled fresh water tank for the night and all was fine. Tonight's low is 35 but they have a freeze warning out so my sure what to do.
We always rely on the furnace only and it's just fine. It is a little noisy but we get used to it. I usually turn it down a little more at bed time and put extra blanket on bed so it doesn't cycle on as much. I don't like space heaters and wouldn't be comfortable leaving those on all night in such a tight space. The furnace uses very little propane so I don't see why you wouldn't want to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #15
Never Stop Exploring

Thank you. I think it is just more our prefrences. I'm more sensitive to sounds at night when sleeping and the furnace blower is a bit too noisy for me.

We have used an electric Delonghi digital oil filled radiator with an automatic thermostat for 8 years in both our home bedroom and in two trailers. Dead quiet, even heat and never a problem with this type of heater.

Our propane catalytic heater for dry camping is a Camco Wave 3. We have used it in our last trailer 2 years, quiet, even heat and never any problem.

A good thing is we both have an LP/carbon monoxide detector for our propane appliances.

Appreciate hearing how your furnace worked for you. Stay warm!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #16

Also, don't leave your sewer hose connected with any stuff in it. I turned a perfectly good hose into a poopsicle one night in VA.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:16 AM   #17

We use our 3-season Georgetown year round and made some modifications and take precautions to prevent problems in cold weather.

First, the advice about disconnecting, draining and storing all hoses if exactly what you need to do to prevent them freezing and breaking. Plastic water filters that screw onto the end of the hose should be drained with the hose. Next, you need to find out where your water lines run in the unit. If they are under the floor, they will be more prone to freezing than ones that run inside the unit. Closet doors to areas where lines are behind false rear panels can be left open to keep those areas warmer.

Our water filter, pump, and water heater are in a basement storage compartment that isn't heated except for waste heat from the water heater. I bought an indoor/outdoor thermometer and placed the outdoor remote on the wall of the plumbing compartment so I can monitor the temperature in it. I also bought a 300W gutter heating strip and zip tied it to all of the pipes. Additional wraps around the water filter housing and pump impeller help prevent freezing. During the winter, we stay overnight where there's shore power to run the gutter heater and the electric heaters for inside the rig. When we're driving, the inverter I had installed for the fridge also provides power for the heating strip. We.ve been out in areas with overnight lows below 17F without problems. Another simple approach for a plumbing compartment is a 60-75W light bulb - not an LED or CFL type.

Never fill your water tank in the evening. Fill it in the morning to give time for the water in the hydrant to drain back so it doesn't freeze. I saw the results of not doing this when another unit has a water fountain in the morning when the pipe defrosted. The park owner planned on charging the RV owner the $1000 repair cost. It's expensive to dig out a broken pipe when the ground is frozen.

If you have an arctic pack (heaters for your tanks and drain valves), don't forget to turn it on at night. This is a DC powered heater which requires shore power because it will easily drain your batteries when used in conjunction with the furnace.

Phil
Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #18

Chesterbershire

Just a heads up. Once a filter is frozen, it is probably trash. When the water expands, it makes tiny holes into larger holes, negating the purpose of the filter.

Wind chill does affect inanimate objects. It draws the heat away faster. If there isn't any wind, a 100 watt lightbulb left on under your trailer will help to keep things from freezing.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
We are camping right now in TN and cold front moves through with some sleet/snow we didn't expect. Got lows of 29 tonight. What should I do for freezing temps? We aren't usually in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should be fine for a couple of hours. If you are really worried find the end of your water line and let the faucet closest to it drip over night. Do you have heaters on your tanks? If not empty them. Probably not necessary but if it is going to be staying at that temp for a day or two it might be better to be safe. Oh, put your hot water on electric and let it drip also, the faucet closest to your hw heater. Hot water freezes quicker than cold believe it or not.

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote