Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Adding pass thru lights?

Howdy,

Just got a new 24QBXL and thinking about breaking up the Pass Thru storage somewhat. Looking to block off one/both sides so I can keep sewer pipe and such on one side and grill, camping stuff on the other side while still leaving large area under the bed.

Is it possible to purchase 12v/120v lights to ADD to those areas since they do not currently have any lighting?

Any special thing I should WATCH OUT for or just easy tap into existing lighting (if there is one, haven't even looked yet) and run to where I want to install light?

Or just purchase those battery tap type of lights for those areas?

I know enough to watch out for output wattage and not to make it higher than what breaker would be.

Maybe upgrade to LED for this occasion as hope some time in the future to upgrade ALL lights to LED to save wattage.

Thanks.

Hope ALL have a wonderful 4th of July.
Scott
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #2

I was going to mount some until I looked up and found out there are some already....

Found these.

Surface Mount Mini Dome Light with Switch | eBay
Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #3

Didn't see any lights. Don't want to cut into new trailer so plan on getting good battery type light.
Just placed new weather outlet box near camper using 10/2 & 30 breaker in its own panel. So slept first night out in driveway. Lol.
Fun personalizing everything to fit want we need.

Enjoy the long weekend.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

I can understand being cautious about cutting or drilling holes.

The back of the one I posted looks flat enough to use some Command Velcro strips to hold them in place.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Do you really want to store your sewer hose and grill in the same compartment? Rather than dividing up your pass through consider putting the "fence post" mod under the trailer. Took me about two hours to install mine (and I'm not mechanically proficient).

Lots of good info and pictures here in this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ose-97811.html
Old 07-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #6

Pass through light

This dome light could be used for the compartment.
I installed a light similar to this above the door in my Sunseeker and wired it to a switch beside the porch/scare light switch by the door. That way we don't have to stumble across the rig to turn a light on. Northern Tool had one in the store here in town that I used. I can't find it on their website now.

Single 12-volt Dome Light, White - Husky 51235 - Light Fixtures - Camping World

I've had my eye on this LED light I found in the boating section of Wally World for putting a pass through light in for those rare night time arrivals. Amazing what can be repurposed...

Shoreline LED Utility Strip Light, White - Walmart.com

Neither one would take much effort to obtain or mount. Finding a hot 12v source and ground shouldn't be too hard.

Good luck.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #7

Completed Project :)

I did break the huge under bed/pass thru space to a couple of different spaces. Just placed several different battery lights under there for now. LED and Normal lights to see which one works better for future purchases.

One being for outside stuff needed (hoses, tools, boards, stuff like that). Another being strictly for under bed stuff and created angles & also a 6" wall so DW can pack shoes and such within that area along with bed blankets, pillows and such. Third being from the other outside and will hold grill, chairs and even goes all the way to the other side for umbrella's or LONG items.

Going to mount sewer pipe within Fence Post underneath the rear bumper secured with screws/bolts.

So all is good, except maybe my back crunching down in that tight space with the bed lifted and propped up. Will need to get some gas shocks to help hold that bed up when needing to get under there.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #8

There is one advantage of having the lights you install in those compartments using their own battery source. That is if you leave one on by mistake (which would not be known till you went back in that compartment) it would not drain the coach battery.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #9

My 24qbxl has rear bumper with removable cap for sewer hose storage.
surfingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #10

My bumper cap also comes off but my Rhino does not completely fit in there. So going to create one to mount underneath the bumper. I did this for my last camper and worked wonderful.
Thanks.

Tags
light