Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

Anyone with the power awning can you help

So, I picked up my new camper and honestly did not pay close enough attention to what the awning should look like when it is closed, we ran it out today and when I put it back in,,,, it just doesn't look right.... I ran it out and in a couple times but it does not look flush up against the camper at the top.. Is this normal and the way it is supposed to look? Or is something messed up, if so any clue on how I fix it without driving 2 hours back to the dealer?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1537865459.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	32010
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2008659864.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	32011   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-788843077.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	32012  

Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Run the awning back out and center it on the tube and pop rivet it to the tube on both ends thru the hem of the material.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

It that what is causing it? The material is off center? I tried to guide it with some sideways pressure on the rail as it was coming in, but that still didn't help. I'll try centering it and see if that does it, thanks for the reply!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #4

If I keep pressing the awning switch "out" it will extend and come back the wrong way, i do not now how to explain that but it does, lol.
Maybe that's the problem?
http://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdz300 View Post
It that what is causing it? The material is off center? I tried to guide it with some sideways pressure on the rail as it was coming in, but that still didn't help. I'll try centering it and see if that does it, thanks for the reply!
Just make sure you measure it and get it centered exactly. You might want to mark the edges of the material and try to stow it and if it stows good, then deploy it again check to make sure it is centered and then rivet both ends.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #6

It may be that the arms aren't closing properly. Ive had that happen. I just pushed on them some and then it would close all the way.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

If your awning is not pop riveted to the roller, a windy day can move the awning down the roller. Even 1/2 inch out is enough to prevent full closing.

Get on a ladder and look for the "dirt mark" and (while lifting the roller) "flap" the awning material till it lines up with the dirt mark. If all works well drill and pop rivet the awning material like Old Coot's photo.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
If I keep pressing the awning switch "out" it will extend and come back the wrong way, i do not now how to explain that but it does, lol.
Maybe that's the problem?
My Carefree power awning does the same thing, which I am told is normal. Just retract it slightly and it will tighten up. I don't think this is related to the original problem you discussed.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #9

I had the same problem after I hit the arm in the up position it stacked together correctly. I found that they didn't line up on 1 side only.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If your awning is not pop riveted to the roller, a windy day can move the awning down the roller. Even 1/2 inch out is enough to prevent full closing.

Get on a ladder and look for the "dirt mark" and (while lifting the roller) "flap" the awning material till it lines up with the dirt mark. If all works well drill and pop rivet the awning material like Old Coot's photo.
This is a fairly common issue. The fix is as Herk described, however, if you have a long awning (ours is 21') it is quite difficult to persuade the lower end of the awning fabric to be re-located in the tube. It is a two-person job. One on a ladder at the end of the awning towards where the fabric has to be moved. #2 person lifting the tube to relieve the tension on the fabric. The "ladder" person then tugs the fabric towards himself until the fabric is lined up. This procedure may have to be repeated several times, until the arms nestle properly when retracted. An alternative to riveting the fabric in place is to mark the awning tube at both ends with a permanent black marker when the fabric is located properly. This will allow you to see when it is becoming mis-aligned, and where to re-align it to, when required.

I do not recommend living with the misalignment and forcing the arms to nest properly, as suggested elsewhere. Just my humble opinion.

...VTX-Al