Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Axle or suspension causing uneven tire wear, Salem Cruise Lite 185rb

Ughhhhhhhhhh, bigger problems now. Got three Maxxis M8008 radials to replace the crappy Vail Sport bias tires that came with my '14 Salem Cruise Lite, but, when I pulled the Vails off the trailer, I noticed extreme wear on the insides of both tires, and the left tire seemed to have some extra wear on its outside also. Since the trailer is still under warranty , I called my local Camping World (bought the trailer at Camping World Panama City, Fla. last Jan.) These tires have about 1700 miles on them. I had almost nothing in the trailer for all of those miles, so, couldn't possibly be an overloading issue......I travel alone and with very little or no water in the tanks . The Camping World service manager can't look at my trailer til Dec. 8, ugh, scheduled to leave for Fla. day after Christmas. I'm stressing big time. Axle or suspension issue ? Any thoughts guys ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1577.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	66919   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1580.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	66920  
Old 11-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Done with this

Looks like axle alignment issues.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

I had that problem and I took my RV to a truck alignment shop. They heated and realigned the axles. They used lasers to insure accuracy. I watched the whole process and it was very professionally done. In Orlando I would recommend JOSAM.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
Looks like axle alignment issues.
Not sure what that is ? Quick fix ?
Old 11-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 84 View Post
I had that problem and I took my RV to a truck alignment shop. They heated and realigned the axles. They used lasers to insure accuracy. I watched the whole process and it was very professionally done. In Orlando I would recommend JOSAM.
I'm in Mass........trailer is still under warranty, so, ..hopefully Camping World can fix the issue.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

Don't waste your time or money at a RV dealer. They don't have the expertise or equipment to do a proper 3 axis alignment. First off they'll tell you that you hit a curb and knocked the alignment out..quite possibly the truth. Next they'll tell you it's not covered by the warranty and sell you a new axle which may or may not be straight from the manufacturer. Save some time and agony by going to a big truck alignment shop and have it aligned there correctly. The cost will be under $200.00 and it will be done correctly..I don't think Camping World can fix anything correctly.....
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

I think I agree with you about Camping World, sadly, ughhhh.......
Old 11-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Don't waste your time or money at a RV dealer. They don't have the expertise or equipment to do a proper 3 axis alignment. First off they'll tell you that you hit a curb and knocked the alignment out..quite possibly the truth. Next they'll tell you it's not covered by the warranty and sell you a new axle which may or may not be straight from the manufacturer. Save some time and agony by going to a big truck alignment shop and have it aligned there correctly. The cost will be under $200.00 and it will be done correctly..I don't think Camping World can fix anything correctly.....
I think I am going to follow your advice, now to find a big truck alignment shop in my area. Thanks for the straight advice, makes a lot of sense.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #9

Jack up tire and see if wheel bearings is loosen up. Easy fix and have seen it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Jack up tire and see if wheel bearings is loosen up. Easy fix and have seen it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Trailer is with Camping WOrld now to fix, as its under warranty........but, will talk to them monday to make sure they have checked bearings. Thanks !
Old 12-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #11

Let me guess....Camping World is going to tell you that you hit a curb and bent the axle. Then they have to pull the axle and send it to mfg to see if they will warranty it. The axle mfg. will turn it down. Camping World will sell you a new axle. New axle may not be straight. This whole process will take about 6 weeks and cost you about $1,000.00.... or you can bring it to an alignment shop and get it fixed tomorrow for under $200.00...Never saw a loose bearing do that ever. If it was loose enough to cause that much tire wear it would have fallen apart by now...Good luck
Old 12-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Let me guess....Camping World is going to tell you that you hit a curb and bent the axle. Then they have to pull the axle and send it to mfg to see if they will warranty it. The axle mfg. will turn it down. Camping World will sell you a new axle. New axle may not be straight. This whole process will take about 6 weeks and cost you about $1,000.00.... or you can bring it to an alignment shop and get it fixed tomorrow for under $200.00...Never saw a loose bearing do that ever. If it was loose enough to cause that much tire wear it would have fallen apart by now...Good luck
I appreciate your input, and I may, in fact, do what you recommend, as I have campground reservations in florida beginning jan. 1. So, the alignment shop makes sure my axle is to specs............ok, good, but, could the unusual tire wear be due to something else (other than the axle or bad tires).........like something in the suspension or anything else.........and, if so, would an alignment shop be able to deal with those issues?

thanks
Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #13

I spent years in the automotive business. I have never seen a bad tire wear on just one side. There is nothing going on with your suspension that a good heavy duty truck/trailer alignment shop can't fix. This is what they do. RV dealers do not have the equipment nor the expertise to do a proper 3 axis alignment. A quality alignment will check the camber (The amount the tires are tilted in or out) the toe (the amount the tires are pointed toward or away from each other) and the tracking (whether the axles are square with the frame and each other). Keep in mind these trailers are not aligned when they come from the factory. The axle mounts are welded onto the frame. There is nothing on them that is adjustable like a car. To align it a shop will chain it down and using hydraulics, push or pull the axles into alignment. Simply replacing an axle is no guarantee it will be aligned. My trailer had both axles out of square with the frame by 3/8" from the day it was built. Bring it to an alignment and get it done correctly. It will be the best money you can spend....
Old 12-07-2014, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
I spent years in the automotive business. I have never seen a bad tire wear on just one side. There is nothing going on with your suspension that a good heavy duty truck/trailer alignment shop can't fix. This is what they do. RV dealers do not have the equipment nor the expertise to do a proper 3 axis alignment. A quality alignment will check the camber (The amount the tires are tilted in or out) the toe (the amount the tires are pointed toward or away from each other) and the tracking (whether the axles are square with the frame and each other). Keep in mind these trailers are not aligned when they come from the factory. The axle mounts are welded onto the frame. There is nothing on them that is adjustable like a car. To align it a shop will chain it down and using hydraulics, push or pull the axles into alignment. Simply replacing an axle is no guarantee it will be aligned. My trailer had both axles out of square with the frame by 3/8" from the day it was built. Bring it to an alignment and get it done correctly. It will be the best money you can spend....
Thank You, I will try to locate a truck/trailer alignment shop who can do a proper 3 axis alignment in my area tomorrow. Not sure how to find one , but, I will try to google in my area, yellow pages, as well as asking a couple mechanics I know. Any other suggestions as to how to find ?

I will keep you informed! Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #15

Called a local big truck repair shop (half mile from my house). They said bring your trailer in today. They do 3 axis alignments, and also put my new tires on rims and balance and mount. Called Camping World, leaving to pick up my trailer now.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsip View Post
Called a local big truck repair shop (half mile from my house). They said bring your trailer in today. They do 3 axis alignments, and also put my new tires on rims and balance and mount. Called Camping World, leaving to pick up my trailer now.
I Gay-ron-tee you will be one very happy camper by the end of the day! Go over the before and after specs with them when you pick it up and see how far off it was.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #17

Quote:
I Gay-ron-tee you will be one very happy camper by the end of the day! Go over the before and after specs with them when you pick it up and see how far off it was.
Just got back from picking up the trailer at Camping WOrld and bringing it to Upper Cape Truck Repair in Pocasset, Ma. And ya, I think they will do a good job, the owner said he "certainly does" do 3 axis alignments......and yes, i will go over the before and after specs!. I was impressed, very professional truck shop, the owner had me back my trailer right in front of a big bay, think they may actually do the job today. Plus he is gonna put my new Maxxis radials on my rims, balance, mount. (another thing Camping World can't / won't do is tires). I have to say the Camping WOrld service manager agreed that I was doing the right thing also. He said the back and forth with Forest River, the manufacturer, often takes time.

Can't thank you enough.! Will keep you informed.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #18

I camp on the Cape almost every summer. Let me know the outcome and I'll take it there next year.
Thanks
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I camp on the Cape almost every summer. Let me know the outcome and I'll take it there next year.
Thanks
Sure will, I will post here the outcome! BTW, where do u camp on the cape. ?
Old 12-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #20

We've been camping at Peter's Pond Park (Sun RV resorts) in Sandwich and Sweetwater Forest in Brewster. We plan on being back to Brewster in May.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, salem, suspension, tire