Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Angry axle/tire problems

I have a 2012 Forest River Salem 27DBUd 27ft travel trailer. I have less than 2000 miles on the tires. They were installed at the factory and filled with nitrogen. The tires on the passenger side have all the tread worn off on the outside edges only, 1 had to be replaced already, the other side is cupped. I took it to the dealer, they did a laser alignment, said the rear axle is 1/4" out of alignment, I would need a lift kit and 4 new tires and have it set to my truck again, at a cost of over $1200.00. Does this sound normal? and should this not be a factory issue ?
Thanks
brnfrrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #2

If you bought the trailer new yes. if your in the first year or if you got the 2nd year also. If you bought it from a second party then NO they are nontransferable. I would also call lippert the frame manufacturer. I do not understand why you need a lift kit?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #3

Were the tires Vail Sports?
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #4

Reply to Great Laker

No they were not...I don't remember the manufacturer right now, but it was not vail
brnfrrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnfrrst View Post
No they were not...I don't remember the manufacturer right now, but it was not vail
Well what happened with your unit? Was it covered under warranty? Should have been if you bought it new. Where you able to get it repaired? I hate problems we pay a lot of money for them but some stuff is pretty common, but your problem is not.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #6

I just noticed the same problem with my tires on my unit.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Traveling Two

I have the same problem but only on the back tire on the passenger side. The outside edge is wearing off. We are on an extended trip so just rotated the tires until we get home. I am between my first and second year, but no second year warranty.
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #8

Axle/Tire issues

I have a Salem Cruise Lite 195 trailer. It had vail sport bias ply tires on it which showed abnormal wear right off. At 2000 miles the tread on the passenger tire was scrubbed completely off on both the inside and outside sections. The other tire was not much better. I replaced the tires mid trip with Carlisle radial trail tires and put 2431 miles on them by the time I got home. They both show a bit of extra wear on the outside tread sections only and some scrubbing on the outside of the passenger tire. The original tires did not appear to have been balanced at all. The passenger tire measures a lot of toe in just measuring the front and back of the tire to the frame with a tape measure. I am also finding a lot of other poor quality craftsmanship and quality control issues with the trailer that I hope can be resolved before my warranty runs out.
Caddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddo View Post
I have a Salem Cruise Lite 195 trailer. It had vail sport bias ply tires on it which showed abnormal wear right off. At 2000 miles the tread on the passenger tire was scrubbed completely off on both the inside and outside sections. The other tire was not much better. I replaced the tires mid trip with Carlisle radial trail tires and put 2431 miles on them by the time I got home. They both show a bit of extra wear on the outside tread sections only and some scrubbing on the outside of the passenger tire. The original tires did not appear to have been balanced at all. The passenger tire measures a lot of toe in just measuring the front and back of the tire to the frame with a tape measure. I am also finding a lot of other poor quality craftsmanship and quality control issues with the trailer that I hope can be resolved before my warranty runs out.
If you bought the trailer in august 2013, call FR and and get them to add the second year at $150.00. If you were not offered it at time of purchase from the dealer. They okayed mine 8mos after i got it, my dealer never mentioned it to me. It will be worth your piece of mind...I saw you joined the forum in August that is why I thought you bought it around then. They will give it to you even through you are past the 2 week period, If you weren't offered it. Then you would be covered about the same as the 1st year.

Tags
axle, tire