Old 07-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #1

Battery

We have a 2010 Salem Cruise Lite. Up until this point we have only taken it to places with full hook-ups. For the first time ever we will be going without hookups to the California Coast. My current deep cell battery I think is a goner. Any recommendations on what to buy and how long will it hold a charge for to run lights and charging devices? We are bringing our generator. Will this charge the battery during the day for night time lights, etc? I am getting nervous about going somewhere without hookups.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:33 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

As a former long time California resident, I suggest you go to a two battery setup.
Either 2 6v golf cart batteries or two 12v deep cycle batteries.

Since less than 1% of California State Parks campsites have any hookups, dry camping is a necessity.
Hope you have an inverter generator for the campground.

Another thing is that FW and gray water needs to be considered if camping for more than just a weekend.
We camped almost exclusively at California State Parks for over 25 years, so we got good at dry camping.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #3

No Dump stations either? So (You take It In and You Take It Out) Leave (No Footprints) type of C/Gs! What is the Average $$ of a (NO Hookup) C/G in Cally? Youroo!!
Old 07-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
clr

I would suggest the two 6v golf cart type batteries over the two 12v deep cycle type batteries. Golf cart batteries are made for repeated deep discharge and even marine deep cycle 12 batteries are not built for as many or as deep discharge as the golf cart batteries. Of course you have to connect the two 6v golf batteries in series to provide the 12v you require.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #5

Yep, you are correct. We will be at a California state park with no hookups. How much life would I get out of 2 golf cart batteries? We are taking our generator to charge the battery. Is that the same?
Old 07-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

Youroo, we are going to bodega bay dunes. I paid $140 for 4 nights.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
clr

Well 6v golf cart battery capacities are about 185 AH to 205AH or so at a 20 hour rate. If you put two 6v golf batteries in series to get 12v you do not increase the capacity over the single battery rating. That number of AH should easily last you a couple of days, but that depends upon load. If you are only using 12v for lights at night the water pump and DC for the control board of the frig you will have no problem. If you run 24 hour video games and TV that is another story.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
No Dump stations either? So (You take It In and You Take It Out) Leave (No Footprints) type of C/Gs! What is the Average $$ of a (NO Hookup) C/G in Cally? Youroo!!
average range is Cali state parks is $45-$75 for hookups, nearly all are W/E only.

average cost for basic developed campsite, no hookups, is $35. you can find some cheaper sites but they are usually in deserts or way inland.

many of the campgrounds' dump stations have been closed. you may have to drive 20 miles to the next state park to dump.

for example, from what i remember last, the 3 SPs north of Santa Barbara, El Capitan/Refugio/Gaviota no longer have dump stations.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeytojosh View Post
Yep, you are correct. We will be at a California state park with no hookups. How much life would I get out of 2 golf cart batteries? We are taking our generator to charge the battery. Is that the same?
not sure what you asking about "Is that the same?"

the biggest eater of battery power is the furnace. but you shouldn't need much heat camping on the coast.
two 6v golf cart batteries are the best for dry camping/boondocking. but i went with two 12v deep cycle batteries for two reasons.
one, i had clearance issues since 6v batteries are taller. two, if one of the 6v battery goes bad, you're dead in the water battery-wise. if one of the 12v goes bad, you can still keep going.
i will say that it's rarer for a 6v to go bad, over a 12v.

but i have a Honda 2000 so we can go 4-5 days without needed a 2-3 hour recharge from it.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #10

Before you jump on the 6V train, consider this shortfall. If, you have an issue with one of your batteries, you lose the ability to supply 12V to your RV. Just buy two good quality true deep cycle 12 volters. I say that because as your batteries age, the individual cells which hold 2+ volts ea. Will start to give your problems getting to 12V+. The 6v systems become more flexible (forgiving), when you have more than a two coach battery tray. Just sayin'

Tags
battery