Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #21

axle installed with the bend the wrong way

I have a salem, not your model, but the same problem on the tires on the back axle. After some research and some help from this forum I jacked the trailer up, put a straight edge under both axles and indeed found that the bend on the good axle was about 3/8 inch with the bow up in the middle and the bend on the tire-wrecker axle had the bow in the middle pointing forward. It was done wrong at where the axles were made because they welded the little pad that goes against the springs 90 degrees off - a guaranteed problem.

I had to take out the axle, cut off and move the pads around the 90 degrees, rotate the brake guts 90 degrees, and then reinstall. Seems to have fixed the problem. Had to but 4 new tires. The only way I could get back from Kansas back to California was to rotate tires.

Ken
kernst52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:38 AM   #22

Trailer at dealers, awaiting new microwave, expect it in about 3 more days. Will have some other dealer inspect it. Spoke to a Salem employee when we first got trailer, hoping to get an IPB (illustrated parts breakdown) of my 195. He said no such animal, that all trailers were built pretty much the same and they just put'em together! For info, the studs in the walls are generally 16" centers. We'll lay a straight edge across the axle ourselves and either side of it. Not sure how the pads are to face?
jclayjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #23

so we changed out our tires for a D load tire and the tires look straighter due to the stiffer sidewall. they dont make the kuhmo 195r14 any morw so ended up with a hankook RA08195r14 which is basically the same tire as the kumho with the same 2094 lbs rating and 99 mph speed rating made in korea. also changed out the stock wheels for aluminum ones that are rated to 2040 poundsClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415555291.491162.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	980.5 KB
ID:	66103Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415555314.948722.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	669.7 KB
ID:	66104
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #24

sorry its model RA08 size 195R14
Old 11-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #25

Dealer told me to change tires too. Still waiting to hear about the other problems it has.
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #26

final finding

Finally our dealer checked the axle and said the manufacturer said it was "within tolerance", but that he was trying to get me some new tires (they were wearing on the inside).
Not satisfied we went to another RV dealership to get someone to inspect the axle. They don't do it but we can go to the alignment business that does all their axle work. We did and when looked at, the alignment person not only noted the tires but said our axle camber was upside down. We were able to get it fixed that day. Not only does it tow smoother but the bounce of a single axle has been reduced. In all fairness to the dealer we purchased it from, they did find that one break was dragging and fixed it.
It is in inside storage for the winter and first thing next Spring I'm changing to load levelers on the hitch. Hoping it'll be smooth sailing from then on!
jclayjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by libslowmo1 View Post
Our Salem Cruise Lite 185RB FS Edition original factory installed tires showed major tread ware on the inside of the tire (both tires). With less than 1200 miles on them and worn as badley as they were I was sure there was something wrong with the axle or that it was installed incorrectly. Our trailer mechanic took all the measurements and contacted Lippert who said everything was within spec. Well, I rode on those tires this summer for approx 1600 additional miles from home to Glacier with no issue. In Glacier MT I purchased 2 new "radial" tires. Put approx 2100 miles on the new radials and they show NO tread wear. I think your issue could be "cheap" factory tires more than bad axle. Just my opnion.
Hopefully, that is my problem too. Same trailer as you, same issue, 1700 miles, extreme inside wear.......under warranty, taking back to Camping World in a week. My tire pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1577.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	66921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1580.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	66922  
Old 11-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #28
Rivnut

I had the same problem, Found that I hit a culvert, and with the light axles they put under these trailers, it bent it and ate up one of my Maxxis tires to the cords. My local rv mechanic(does only repair work, no sales) at Creston RV in Crossville, TN.
replaced the axle and did laser alignment. Good to go.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #29

I have the exact same tires on my Salem. I have 2 axles so less weight on each one but we have about 7000 miles on the tires and they look better than yours. They still don't look great but we went 6000 miles on one trip this summer and it looks like your tires would not have made the whole trip at that rate of wear.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivnut View Post
I had the same problem, Found that I hit a culvert, and with the light axles they put under these trailers, it bent it and ate up one of my Maxxis tires to the cords. My local rv mechanic(does only repair work, no sales) at Creston RV in Crossville, TN.
replaced the axle and did laser alignment. Good to go.
don't think i hit anything, but who knows! just bought three maxxis , which i will put on when the axle issue is fixed!
Old 11-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
I have the exact same tires on my Salem. I have 2 axles so less weight on each one but we have about 7000 miles on the tires and they look better than yours. They still don't look great but we went 6000 miles on one trip this summer and it looks like your tires would not have made the whole trip at that rate of wear.
I'm not even too keen on driving on those tires somewhere to get my axle problem fixed! Hopefully I can find somewhere close......hesitant to take it back to camping world, even though its still under warranty.......leaning towards taking it to a big truck axle alignment place locally. not sure though
Old 11-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #32

lotsip, the pic you posted looks identical to the factory ones I spoke of earlier in this thread. In fact I kept one in the event FR or the tire manufacturer every comes out with anything.
Loyal Companion - Lucy our ever vigilant rescue.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by libslowmo1 View Post
lotsip, the pic you posted looks identical to the factory ones I spoke of earlier in this thread. In fact I kept one in the event FR or the tire manufacturer every comes out with anything.
wow, really, so, you just replaced the crappy tires with better tires ? damn....so, u think get the axle checked , if ok, put new tires on ?
Old 11-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #34

yeah mine to. i looked under the tire and the inside edge was not even touching the ground when the trailer was on level ground. wonder if its not the tire rolling on itself because of the way its made, the new tires are not wearing funny at all even though we only put about 100 miles on them but the little nubs on a new tire are still there and seem to be only wearing in the middle of the tire
Old 12-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #35

Mine is still at the dealer for the warranty water leak, but I was told to buy radial tires and they would wear much better.
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #36

Great weather here the past two days, so, i got under the trailer and had a good look. The axle seems to be perfectly bowed as its supposed to be.( top of bow next to floor of trailer) Tires are certainly not sitting on the ground on their insides, both look perfectly flat. 4 leaf springs on both sides looked perfect..... No idea how those tires both wore so badly on an unloaded trailer with 1700 miles of highway driving. Hopefully, it was just the tires. I'm dropping the trailer off at the Camping World in Berkely, Ma. on Saturday. Service manager told me they will look at on monday. I'm a bit worried about driving on the highway at 55 mph on those two crappy tires, hopefully I won't get a flat or blowout.........will bring a spare. Also , i already bought 3 Maxxis m8008 st radials, will not put vail sports back on that trailer , even if they offer to to give me new ones free! Stressing a bit, as i have already made camping reservations at 4 camprounds in Florida for Jan. 1 to 28. and have heard some horror stories about the service at Camping World.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #37

I had the same problem with the Vail Sport tires after about 1,000 miles.. Dealer initially thought the axles. After Lippert sent them a spec sheet all the measurements were good. Lionshead replaced all 4 tires. So far so good after about 2000 miles. I did not think it would be the tires, but it was. The Vail Sport are bias type tires...I guess I am up in the air about that, but I will keep an eye on them since they are new. The Vail Sports are also having problems with the side walls cracking. Good luck.
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
I had the same problem with the Vail Sport tires after about 1,000 miles.. Dealer initially thought the axles. After Lippert sent them a spec sheet all the measurements were good. Lionshead replaced all 4 tires. So far so good after about 2000 miles. I did not think it would be the tires, but it was. The Vail Sport are bias type tires...I guess I am up in the air about that, but I will keep an eye on them since they are new. The Vail Sports are also having problems with the side walls cracking. Good luck.
Interesting, I saw a little cracking on the side wall of one tire, pulled it off to replace it which revealed the extreme inside wear. If not for that little crack I would probably have had never seen the inside wear and had a flat or blowout on I 95 on my way to Florida. My gut tells me the axle is fine, so, that leaves the tires........actually hoping thats the case, obviously. Thanks for the imput!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #39

I am trading my Salem Cruise Lite on a bigger trailer in the spring. If I was keeping it I would just go and buy new radials. I think its the tires not the axle. I had some vail sports on a boat trailer a few years ago too and they wore out on the edges in no time.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
I am trading my Salem Cruise Lite on a bigger trailer in the spring. If I was keeping it I would just go and buy new radials. I think its the tires not the axle. I had some vail sports on a boat trailer a few years ago too and they wore out on the edges in no time.

More and more guys here are telling me its the crappy Vail Sport tires, and am starting to think they are probably right......Hopefully, camping world will tell me axle and suspension are all according to specs, don't want my trip delayed waiting for a new axle to be ordered and installed.

Tags
2013, axle, bent, salem