Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

Bent Axle? 2013 Salem Cruise Lite 195BH

Let me paint a picture for you... we are driving with the trailer on the MA turnpike in the rain and have already been through two major traffic jams earlier in the day. We just get out of the second when pop - we've popped a tire on our trailer.

We immediately pull over and inspect... it's totally gone. We make some calls and wait an hour plus. The tire guy comes out and takes the tire off and says we have a bent axle. The inside tread of the tires is threadbare and popped because it was worn all the way through, the other tire is not far behind.

We end up getting both tires replace and continue home.

Last week we dropped the trailer off at the dealer for repair - fortunately we have the "platinum" extended warranty and the guy who checked us in is certain it will be covered.

While driving the rest of the way home hubs and I were sort of freaking out, we were told that these tires are going to wear away too unless we got it fixed and he said it was some sort of welding error - that the trailer was too new and the wheels were worn severely. We did some internet searches and found that other people had in fact had the same exact problem with the same year/model as us. One person had their brakes catch on fire after the axle was fixed.

Sooo.... my question is - how is your trailer holding up if you're a Salem Cruise Lite owner? We love our home on wheels and were returning from our longest trip yet - 7 nights. But are now worried that there are more problems to be had and/or the same thing will happen again.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Team

I brought my 2011 Cruise Lite trailer in September 2010 and haven't had any problems except needing to replace propane regulator which was covered in the 2nd year warranty.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #3

hmm wonderung the same thing. do u have any pics of the tires or of the bent axle?
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #4

mine have been fine since being replaced. (3rd season since replaced) typically all axles are installed with a slight upward bend in the middle, and when they are loaded, they will flex to straight. Problem is, they are installed bend down in the centre, so when loaded, they bend down even more.
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #5

Our Salem Cruise Lite 185RB FS Edition original factory installed tires showed major tread ware on the inside of the tire (both tires). With less than 1200 miles on them and worn as badley as they were I was sure there was something wrong with the axle or that it was installed incorrectly. Our trailer mechanic took all the measurements and contacted Lippert who said everything was within spec. Well, I rode on those tires this summer for approx 1600 additional miles from home to Glacier with no issue. In Glacier MT I purchased 2 new "radial" tires. Put approx 2100 miles on the new radials and they show NO tread wear. I think your issue could be "cheap" factory tires more than bad axle. Just my opnion.
Loyal Companion - Lucy our ever vigilant rescue.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #6

2012 salem 26rks here, no issues with tires or axles so far. I check my pressure few times every trip.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

While not an issue with our camper TT, our gooseneck cattle stock trailer was wearing the front set of tires in the exact same way. Yep, bent axle. We had it replaced the axle for about $200, and bought 2 new tires.
While not known exactly why, I believe it was from possibly cutting too sharp at a gas pump island or parking lot.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

27rkss two new axles and four new tires and all is reasonably well. lippert problem from the start
rr retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #9

bad/bent axle?

Second camping trip out in newly purchased 195BH Salem Cruise Lite (bought on 7 August, 2014)and returning home in dark with wife following (she was towing boat) when she noted that tires were not riding straight vertical. Stopped and used long level on each tire- with level against bottom of tire, we had to push top away from tire to get bubble to middle- this on both tires. Less than 500 total miles on trailer. Calling Quietwoods RV, Appleton, WI. Monday.
jclayjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #10

ours is the same way let us know what u find out
Old 10-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #11

Will do.
How long have you had your 195? We also plugged up holes in bottom of subfloor- found them by looking thru tub and lower cabinet panels (saw daylight thru cheap tarp on bottom, plus had rips in it and debris from wood floor structure. Very poor quality comtrol. Be careful, dangerous fumes can get into trailer. Also, is your outside compartments key number 751 and entrance door key number 326? Very common keys used for numerous (and many) camper trailers.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclayjim View Post
Will do.
How long have you had your 195? We also plugged up holes in bottom of subfloor- found them by looking thru tub and lower cabinet panels (saw daylight thru cheap tarp on bottom, plus had rips in it and debris from wood floor structure. Very poor quality comtrol. Be careful, dangerous fumes can get into trailer. Also, is your outside compartments key number 751 and entrance door key number 326? Very common keys used for numerous (and many) camper trailers.
That's funny, the 751 was issued as a "skeleton" key at least 25 years ago.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #13

we have had ours for a little over a year. we noticed the open area also. ut i didn't fill it in. I do keep an eye on holes on the black tarp and use gorilla tape to seal up any holes. not sure about the keys have to look at them
Old 10-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #14

Going to Kansas (w/o trailer) for a short stay at daughters. Have appointment the 21st at Quietwoods to look at axel. Seems to me that with non vertical tire alignment, there would be wear on the inside tread edges from the slant?
_______
| |
|195BH|
/------\
Old 10-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr retired View Post
27rkss two new axles and four new tires and all is reasonably well. lippert problem from the start
27RKSS here also, 2 new axles, 4 new leaf springs, 5 new wheels and 5 new tires. Lippert problem also, thankfully warrantied and the leaf spring did not let go while my wife was towing, it was down to 1 leaf and it looked like a pretzel, 100 miles from home.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #16

No problem so far on our trailer. We bought it this year and been out 4 times. Going again next weekend.
tomngo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #17

We have 300 miles on our xlite 195 and both tires are worn weird on the inside. And noticed this weekend that the front wall has a lot of bumps on it. Waiting to hear from the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1413162837201.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	64639  
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa11y757 View Post
We have 300 miles on our xlite 195 and both tires are worn weird on the inside. And noticed this weekend that the front wall has a lot of bumps on it. Waiting to hear from the dealer.
Sure looks like moisture coming from the opposite surface, not good news, should be dealt with pronto.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #19

The dealer says the bend is intentional and will straighten out with a loaded trailer. Fact is, ours did not!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #20

Dealer confirmed it was water damage but couldn't find the source yet.
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, axle, bent, salem