Old 11-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

Black water tank misreading

Just setup my 195bh at campsite and was putting a little water in the black tank but when I checked the gauge it's reading 3/4 full. I emptied it after last trip and had barely put some water in it so I'm 98% sure it's wrong. Is it there any way to verify?

Any suggestions on how I can fix or accurately gauge the level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #2

You can do 3 different things.
#1 You can keep screwing around with the cheap stock sensors which will get fouled time and time again. You can find all kinds of methods to clean them but the only sure thing is they'll get fouled again. More likely sooner rather than later.
#2 You can change out the sensors to "Horst Probes" which are a little better but not perfect.
#3 You can drop a couple of hundred and buy this. https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/

Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #3

or shut water off, flush toilet and keep trap open and visually see the level in the tank....might need flashlight.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #4

Why can't you just open the black tank drain valve, stick your eye up to it and have a look
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #5

You can hear when the tank is getting full as the water goes into the tank, it will change pitch. Also ours did that last weekend but didnt worry about since i know i just drained it and know how long it takes to fill up with five people
Old 11-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #6

All 3 of our RVs have had this problem. Tried many things. I know it's empty but still reads 3/4 full.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

keeper clean

First of all when you camp,NEVER leave your drain valve open.Always let it fill up to at least 3/4 before emptying...after you empty run at least 3-5 gallons of water in before using....now when you leave a site drain the tank,close the valve and run at least 6-7 gallons of water in it and let it slosh around while your driving, this usually cleans you sensors,if they're really bad throw in a couple bags of ice in with the water and i always use odorlos in my tanks to dissolve the crud.......good luck....
Old 11-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
You're going to have that problem with just about any RV you have. Those sensors inside the tank hardly ever get clean and they'll lie to you about the level. Disregard them and learn when the tank gets full,,,and drain it out. If you have a built-in douche,,,,that helps, but you're not going to get rid of the problem. It's the nature of the beast.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #9

My old Road Ranger had an externally mounted sensor on the tank. It wasn't perfect but it seemed to be fairly consistent. Unless the interior of the tank is coated with gunk it should work pretty well.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawga View Post
You can hear when the tank is getting full as the water goes into the tank, it will change pitch. Also ours did that last weekend but didnt worry about since i know i just drained it and know how long it takes to fill up with five people
Yep, that is exactly how I tell when my tank is full. I am on my second RV and both sensors showed between half and three quarters full all the time. I tried every trick in the book with my first RV because I wanted the sensors to work correctly. They never did so I just gave up and started listening. Now I go by sound alone. I never use my sensors at all. You will get used to hearing the change in pitch of the water going into your tank. As the tank gets fuller, the water sounds closer. Doesn't matter if the toilet sits directly over the tank or is piped into the tank.

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank