Old 07-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
Happy Camper

Blu ray upgrade?

Has anyone found a more modern unit to replace the DVD player that came with the camper? I would like to have an HDMI interface and the ability to play blu ray discs. I could buy a small external player, I suppose, but I'd rather replace the one that is there.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
Has anyone found a more modern unit to replace the DVD player that came with the camper? I would like to have an HDMI interface and the ability to play blu ray discs. I could buy a small external player, I suppose, but I'd rather replace the one that is there.
My old IRV unit was intermittent from the beginning and only played DVDs, I replaced the main unit with a nice car stereo and bought a separate small blu ray player. I have good sound, bluetooth so I can stream music from my phone, and have an aux input that I hook to the TV to get TV sound through the speakers.

heyboom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyboom1 View Post
My old IRV unit was intermittent from the beginning and only played DVDs, I replaced the main unit with a nice car stereo and bought a separate small blu ray player. I have good sound, bluetooth so I can stream music from my phone, and have an aux input that I hook to the TV to get TV sound through the speakers.
Does a double Din fit?
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyboom1 View Post
M...I replaced the main unit with a nice car stereo......
I SOOO want to do this but have not found a car stereo that supports 3 sets of spkrs.

BTW, just replaced the DVD player...eyeing a new Samsung 4K TV...the main reason is the horrible Remote control interface to control the DVD. On two occasions we spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to turn subtitles off.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I SOOO want to do this but have not found a car stereo that supports 3 sets of spkrs.

BTW, just replaced the DVD player...eyeing a new Samsung 4K TV...the main reason is the horrible Remote control interface to control the DVD. On two occasions we spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to turn subtitles off.
What did you replace it with?
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post

I just left the outside speakers disconnected, seldom used them anyway. I like it quiet when I sit outside. A double din would have fit but I found a single din I liked and just built a new faceplate and screwed it in.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Much easier to just buy a stand alone BluRay player!

And will probably actually work, too!

I've never once used the built-in DVD player in either of the two new RV's I've purchased.

Plus, those crappy little remote controls they come with...what a nightmare!

The only thing I use the built-in stereo for is sound from the TV and to listen to the radio.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #8

It was just a $30 Sony (no hdmi) from Amazon.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #9

There's nothing about the iRV Stereo, DVD player that came with my Micro Lite that I like. Nothing but a PITA to work with.

Rather than an "All in one" I may end up replacing it with a modular setup. A car stereo with CD/DVD player and a stand alone Blu-Ray player.

Most importantly, the OEM speakers have got to go. The word I would like to use to describe the quality of the ones FR put in my trailer would be censored before I could hit the "Submit" button.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #10

I said earlier I installed a single Din stereo, I must have been drinking, it's a double din, I don't have the exact model, but it's similar to the JVC KW 925BTS. Double din is a little different size from the IRV. I bought a double din radio mount and installed it with a new thin wooden plate to cover up the gaps. It even makes the crappy speakers in the TT sound better.

Tags
upgrade