Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 01:07 AM   #1

Camera

Got a 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Light T241QBXL and I need a good backup camera. The trailer is 24' long plus the tongue, 26
' all together. Pulling it with a 2015 Ram 1500. On the back öv the trailer I can see there is a place to hook up a camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There are a gazillion cameras on ebay and Amazon, but I'd like someone's honest opinion who's got one. As you know wireless outreach is paramount.
Thanks in advance.
FZ1Rider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1Rider1 View Post
Got a 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Light T241QBXL and I need a good backup camera. The trailer is 24' long plus the tongue, 26
' all together. Pulling it with a 2015 Ram 1500. On the back öv the trailer I can see there is a place to hook up a camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated. There are a gazillion cameras on ebay and Amazon, but I'd like someone's honest opinion who's got one. As you know wireless outreach is paramount.
Thanks in advance.
They are usually prewired for furrion cameras. Sometimes others but mostly these.

My TT is 30ft. I tried a cheapo wireless backup camera on Amazon and gave up on it even after running the transmitter to the front of the trailer. It kept cutting in and out while driving so I ended up switching to the furrion and it has never failed me. I wish it had a video out but now I just suction the screen to the rear view mirror. Works well and is usually just plug and play as long as you have the parking lights on.

Should you go the furrion route get the observation and not the backup camera as it is more powerful. The backup was a first generation. Part numbers are listed on the cover usually.

Others have used some old gopro to their phone and some have hardwired as well. I have seen one person who had a different wireless camera on the forum but I am waiting to hear a specific brand from them. Most seem happy with the furrion.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
They are usually prewired for furrion cameras. Sometimes others but mostly these.

My TT is 30ft. I tried a cheapo wireless backup camera on Amazon and gave up on it even after running the transmitter to the front of the trailer. It kept cutting in and out while driving so I ended up switching to the furrion and it has never failed me. I wish it had a video out but now I just suction the screen to the rear view mirror. Works well and is usually just plug and play as long as you have the parking lights on.

Should you go the furrion route get the observation and not the backup camera as it is more powerful. The backup was a first generation. Part numbers are listed on the cover usually.

Others have used some old gopro to their phone and some have hardwired as well. I have seen one person who had a different wireless camera on the forum but I am waiting to hear a specific brand from them. Most seem happy with the furrion.
Thank you for the quick reply.
I checked it out on ebay and Amazon, red some of the reviews. Sounds good, but they're not exactly giving it away. A decent Observation goes for $ 350. That's a big chunk of $. Would be nice something between a cheapo and this one, maybe around 150 and 200.
I'll keep on looking. Thanks again [emoji1]
Old 12-02-2017, 02:26 AM   #4

I bought one off of Amazon and yes it does cut in and out while driving, but for the most part I'm pleased at what it does for the price. When I looked at them it pretty much seemed that they were a lot a like. No real name branding on any of them. My trailer is 31' and TV has extra cab with an 8'bed. I had a back up camera years ago when aftermarket one came out, and it to would also cut out or some something other than what was behind me. It would show some near by where house every day I went by. What I have works real well when backing in at home or at a site. I spent less than $100 and it came with a 7" screen that I could add an additional camera to. If I remember correctly at the time I bought it Furrion's screen was smaller than the 7". I would buy the same thing if I were to do it again. It has been a little over a year and it still works the same. It did not fit in the Furrion mount on the back of the trailer so I mounted it at the top center strip. It might be worth the extra money to you to get the Furrion if you really want it not cut out. Another thing that influenced my decision was what I read about the quality of Furrion products. Had to have my Furrion DVD player replaced right off the bat. On the other side it now works better than it ever did before and I am well pleased with it. I hope you find and enjoy whatever you decide on.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:17 AM   #5

I think you will find that for the 100.00$ difference the Furrion Model# 48 Observation Camera that will be "Plug & Play" for you is the way to go,and No Drop Out! We like ours,it paid for itself the 1st time a "Bumper Humper" was behind us in the "Blind Spot" that we All have,regardless what Towing Mirrors you have! Youroo!!
Old 12-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply.
I checked it out on ebay and Amazon, red some of the reviews. Sounds good, but they're not exactly giving it away. A decent Observation goes for $ 350. That's a big chunk of $. Would be nice something between a cheapo and this one, maybe around 150 and 200.
I'll keep on looking. Thanks again [emoji1]
I bought the furrion wireless observation system off amazon in the spring, around $350...I put it on my 42' fifth wheel, which I pull with a crew cab 8' box gmc. This system is awesome, never once did it fade out or lose signal. It was easy to install myself and the trailer was already wired for it. Only thing I had to change was the bracket, which was no issue...just 4 screws. Works great for seeing where traffic is around you on the highway and works well for backing up. Spend the money once and get one that you will be completely happy with. Good luck!
Pigpen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen29 View Post
I bought the furrion wireless observation system off amazon in the spring, around $350...I put it on my 42' fifth wheel, which I pull with a crew cab 8' box gmc. This system is awesome, never once did it fade out or lose signal. It was easy to install myself and the trailer was already wired for it. Only thing I had to change was the bracket, which was no issue...just 4 screws. Works great for seeing where traffic is around you on the highway and works well for backing up. Spend the money once and get one that you will be completely happy with. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice and sharing your experience. It means a lot knowing that you have a solid connection. Yes, it's 350 on Amazon, but like you said it's worth it if is a good quality product.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #8

Well, you guys sound very convincing about the furrion and you're right. Instead of exoerimting with the cheapos and spending 70 here 100 there, better by the tru and tried especially if is a plug and play.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #9

Yes, furrion actually works great if you get the observation version so you can see behind you at all times. It does fade out on me with a 35ft trailer when we get near a very busy wifi area, but only briefly.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #10

Great.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #11

We are using the 4ucam quad view 7" screen with a license plate camera and a camera that fits into the back of our 26' FR trailer. 4ucam has made a bracket that fits into the Furrion camera holder at the rear of the TT.
Total cost for monitor and two cameras was $400.
This wireless system works great!
lonsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #12

Thank you. I will check it out. So far I'm focusing on the Furrion observation.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you. I will check it out. So far I'm focusing on the Furrion observation.
Unfortunately, if your 2017 241QXBL is anything like my 2017 241QXBL then the Furrion will not work. Forest River decided to wire them for a different camera, a "CL-718W-C" from Way Interglobal. There a few threads on here about it.

Do yourself a favor and pull off the rubber cap on the mount on the camper and see what wire is there first before buying anything.
For example, see this this:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lp-130652.html
jp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:14 PM   #14

The furrion Observation camera was plug and play for our 2018 201bhxl.
MoCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCamping View Post
The furrion Observation camera was plug and play for our 2018 201bhxl.
Did you have to do any alterations to make the observation workable or was it just plug and play?
Sharthor65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #16

My only complaint about the Furrion is the holder for inside the truck is a POS.
It doesn’t bend properly to fit anywhere. But the camera works very well
Dodger454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger454 View Post
My only complaint about the Furrion is the holder for inside the truck is a POS.
It doesn’t bend properly to fit anywhere. But the camera works very well

What are you towing? A fifth wheel or a travel trailer? I have a fifth wheel and use two black hair ties and attach the screen to my rear view mirror...since I don't use the rear view mirror while towing.
Pigpen29 is offline   Reply With Quote