Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #1

Can I walk on my roof?

Just bought a Salem FSX 177bh. Want to get up on the roof to install vent covers. Dealer said I could go on the roof using plywood but didn’t elaborate. Wouldn’t plywood scratch the rubber roof? Do I just need a 3 foot by 3 foot piece and I can sit/lay (stand?) on it?

Thanks in advance.
Grimble27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

I can not vouch for your roof but i can safely walk on mine without any further support. You may find it hard to find enough space to put plywood on the roof to begin with, let alone it being heavy and having sharp edges. A good alternative would be to use 2" thick rigid foam insulation board (usually pink or blue). It will help spread out your weight among a wider area, as well as being light weight, easy to cut, and soft on the edges so it won't damage your roof. you can get it in 2x8 foot pieces that will be easy to cut to 2 smaller pieces that you can easily leap frog to get around your entire roof.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble27 View Post
Just bought a Salem FSX 177bh. Want to get up on the roof to install vent covers. Dealer said I could go on the roof using plywood but didn’t elaborate. Wouldn’t plywood scratch the rubber roof? Do I just need a 3 foot by 3 foot piece and I can sit/lay (stand?) on it?

Thanks in advance.
I have a FR VIBE 28RL and over the week I washed the roof, yes i was standing on it and a few months ago I mounted a vent cover, I can not tell to do it and its safe but I did it and I could feel the soft spots, I walked bare foot and walk as soft as I could, no problem
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof