Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 04:27 AM   #1

Can you use a REAL mattress?

Why don't people get real mattresses for these things? Is there any reason I cannot use a regular queen mattress like a posturepoedic inner spring type? I have a a 29fkbs travel trailer with a queen mattress which is about 8" short of being full size, so I'll deal with the overhang. Any thoughts? or experiences with real mattresses by someone here? I hate memory foam.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 AM   #2

If it will fit and the slides will still clear and you support the Over hang,Go for It! Weight might be a issue? Your call! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #3

we have one in our TT. with a 4 inch memory foam topper as well.
DW has to run and do the high jump to get into bed but ... what the heck its worth the price of admission.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #4

X2. If you can get it to where you are satisfied with the fit then go for it.

No reason at all other than they make them small to give the appearance of a larger room.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #5

We had one made for our 5er. It was made to our measurements and is the same model as the queen size one we have in the spare bedroom. Costly, yes but much much better than the junk we had before.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Tt is stationary, large slide out room supported, so should have plenty of room. Thanks
Wacipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #7
Happy Camper

O.k., this is related. I am sleeping fine on the mattress in the bedroom of my 262BHXL, but the dinette and especially the bunks could use some extra padding. What are people doing to alleviate the pain? We will often have 8 people or more in the camper and I want them to be comfortable.

I guess I could buy some foam and cut off the corners for the bunks. And I was thinking of an air mattress for the dinette bed (I don't know if it will fit). If you are using an air mattress, what size is best?

What does the wisdom of the forum say?
Tonylmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If it will fit and the slides will still clear and you support the Over hang,Go for It! Weight might be a issue? Your call! Youroo!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacipi View Post
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feedback. Tt is stationary, large slide out room supported, so should have plenty of room. Thanks
I think one point youroo is making- make sure that the mattress will still fit with the slides closed. While it's stationary now, you may have a need to put slides in and move it. Watch clearances or have a plan. For instance, my bed comes within an inch of our dresser with the slide in- if I bought a long mattress, I could possibly lift it onto the dresser to put the slide in. (But, I'm mobile and would never do that to myself. )

As for the slide supported... that's a whole can of worms but not what you asked about. Longest story shortest, most manufacturers don't recommend supporting the slide itself.

I think what youroo meant for weight is the overall camper's weight. Other than penny pinching, I would expect that most manufacturers claim they use the mattresses that they do in order to save weight.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #9

I've had several RVs. Had to replace the mattresses in about half. Currently have a "Ultimate Dream Latex Mattress" in our "C". Can be ordered via Amazon in several different levels of firmness, toppers, etc. Our "5r" is a Montana, and factory mattress is great. For grandkids, we put air mattresses on floor, on foldout couch (original failed) and over the dinette cushions (not even they could handle the thin cushion comfort). So far we've had good luck with the Intex Comfort series, available from Amazon or Walmart. Just don't buy the really cheap ones as they give up quickly.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #10

We put a full size queen mattress in place of a smaller mattress. I used ABS plywood and made a new mattress platform on top of the old one. I also hinged the new platform so it could be raised and locked in place so when the slide out was retracted the mattress and frame would not hit the dresser. It sounds weired but it work great. I am 6'5" and now sleep comfortably
BenMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

Replacement mattress

I had had several foam made and they are lighter then the ones that come with the unit. I went to place that the highway truckers use when they upgrade theirs. The king that I have now cost less then 500 and it the best sleep that I have had in years.
2016 Ram3500 4x4 SRW 6.7 68RFE 3:42
2014 Blue Ridge 3125RT
PullRite Super Glide
149252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
jkoenig24

Sadly, the RV industry seems to have locked themselves into modifying BOTH the length AND width of almost all the mattresses they use. The Dynamax DX3 I bought was advertised as having a King bed. The tag on the mattress more accurately labeled it as a "wide queen". At 69" wide by 76" long, only king fitted sheets will fit and, fit so loosely as to be sloppy. If Forest River had to skimp on the length, they should have kept a standard queen width of 60". Then, I could have used standard queen linens with only a 4" over on length (and I'd have a bit more floor room on the sides to move around easier). The Serta mattress than my DX3 came with is horrible. Dynamax tells me that they won't swap it as a warranty issue. After the FROG Rally, I'll look into getting a COMFORTABLE mattress.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #13

We've dumped the flimsy mattresses in our last three rv's. The trick is to find one that fits your space without interfering with the slides. Not all mattresses are created equal, so look for a fit and you will enjoy your sleep!
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

We used a full size IKEA foam mattress on top of the short queen in our old Jayco. Slid the short one down 6" and put the foam on the top. Worked so perfect, we kept the foam IKEA mattress and put it on top of the Serta mattress in the Flagstaff, so nice
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #15

A friend offered me the mattress out of their Wildwood 195 but I didn't find it very comfortable under my queen - and I had a hard time crawling in and out of the bed with it so high. (Bad enough my Salem CruiseLite isn't a total walk-around bed). I'm still trying to see if maybe a pillow topper mattress pad would give me just a little more padding but not as much as a foam topper.
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
We used a full size IKEA foam mattress on top of the short queen in our old Jayco. Slid the short one down 6" and put the foam on the top. Worked so perfect, we kept the foam IKEA mattress and put it on top of the Serta mattress in the Flagstaff, so nice
Maybe that would be the answer for me. A pad that is larger and put it on top. Thanks!
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #17

Daughter couldn't stand the slim padding on the dinette in our TT. Bought a 2" feather bed that we store under the queen (it is bulky). to use on the dinette when she sleeps there.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #18

Thank you all. Our TT is staying stationary for a couple of years and we will be doing fulltime. I am partial to spring mattresses, my old body is just so used to them. I will try to find one on the lighter side. As for room at the foot of the bed, I have atleast 4 feet between the bed and the dresser/desk when the slide is out so I should be plenty good there for another 8" of length over what is currently there. My current mattress is 60 wide x 72 long, just 8" short of a full size queen mattress. But it is very uncomfortable and no way could I sleep on that. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #19

I got an excellent mattress made to measure at Sterling Mattress Factory in Southern IL. They measured in the PM and the next AM I picked it up. Campground is nearby. Pocket springs with memory topper. They said they have made all shapes and sizes. Mine cost $500. Review companies and quality at The Mattress Underground. That is where I found them.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #20

I've had many different configurations of mattresses through the years and I recently stumbled across the mattress collection at Ikea. Take a look, you may find the solution you are seeking there. I recently bought a Queen mattress there that can't weigh 50 lbs along with a comfort top to make it a little softer for me. They have all different comfort level and the beauty is they are sold rolled up and tied, easy to transport and it actually gets more comfortable as time goes by and the foam expands. I can't say enough for their selection. Something for everyone. They are not cheap but nothing good ever is.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote