Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

COLD weather camping

We are thinking about doing some cold weather camping and was looking at the forecast for some of our "local" camping places. During one of the nights we are looking at, the temperature is predicted to be around 25 degrees.

My question is --- would there be enough heat emanating from the TT to keep the water pump from freezing ? I am not sure where the pump is physically located in the TT. Of course I would disconnect from the city water that night just to keep the hose from freezing but are there any other considerations of which I should be mindful ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance !

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
2017 Ford F250 XLT 4x2 6.2L 3.73
alarge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
WFD

25 degrees??? Thats not cold, thats just cool ...we think about firing up the furnace at that temp!
You will have heat on at that temp, which will send some heat into your storage area as well as protect your inside plumbing. Your pump should be inside somewhere, close to your hot water tank and your bypass valves. Wise to disconnect from outside water tap...are temps forecast to get back above freezing during the day?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #3

As an alternative, you can just leave the tap in your kitchen sink on at a trickle (and put a washrag under the tab so you do not hear the dripping in your sink all night )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #4

I would be more concerned about tanks and gate valves and water lines outside the tt. Most water pumps are inside under a step or in a cabinet or behind an access panel. 25 is awful cold.

Without a heated enclosed underbelly you are running a risk I would not take. Even with that, still a risk for those outside areas. I wouldn't even mess with a hose, would fill fresh tank and call it good, or leave it winterized and camp dry.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #5

25 isn't that bad, especially if that's your overnight low as it's likely to warm up during the day. I've camped in that with no issues by just filling the freshwater tank and not having any outside hose. Pump, FW tank and lines are inside on my 195bh so no issues especially since you will have heat inside.
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
25 isn't that bad, especially if that's your overnight low as it's likely to warm up during the day. I've camped in that with no issues by just filling the freshwater tank and not having any outside hose. Pump, FW tank and lines are inside on my 195bh so no issues especially since you will have heat inside.
Agreed, we get that all the time in late fall trips prior to putting trailer in storage...big factor will be what the forecast is for daytime and how long you will be in the 25 degree range.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarge1 View Post
We are thinking about doing some cold weather camping and was looking at the forecast for some of our "local" camping places. During one of the nights we are looking at, the temperature is predicted to be around 25 degrees.

My question is --- would there be enough heat emanating from the TT to keep the water pump from freezing ? I am not sure where the pump is physically located in the TT. Of course I would disconnect from the city water that night just to keep the hose from freezing but are there any other considerations of which I should be mindful ?

Thanks in advance for your assistance !
I would suggest you do a little sleuthing and find the pump.

Looking at pics of your unit online, it appears that your grey and black tanks are behind the axles and the fresh water tank is forward or above the axles. I would expect to find your pump in the rear left hand quarter of your unit, either under the linen closet in the bathroom or under the fridge, stove or sink.

Once you find it, you can figure out a way to keep it warm. Some options: open the cabinet door it is in, if it has a cabinet door; put a 100 watt light bulb next to it, aim your electric heater (if you're using one) at wherever it's at.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:43 AM   #8

I got a tip for the hose that works. I was lucky enough to be in a park with a couple who are 16 years full time. I followed his lead and got some piping insulation at Lowe's along with a couple of rolls of electrical tape. Slid the insulation over my hose and water filter and made it through several nights of temperatures of 24 degrees without problems. I did put antifreeze in all but the freshwater tank and made sure that it was empty. The only problems I had was with the waste valves being stuck till the afternoon.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I don't even winterize my rig until the temps are going to be in the 20's for sustained periods. Like others have said, if you're just dipping into the upper 20's overnight and have 40's during the day, I wouldn't worry so much. Chances are you'll only be below freezing for a few hours and not long enough to freeze your pipes hard. Emptying the holding tanks and adding antifreeze might be a good idea if your valves are external, mine are not and I do have the polar pack which helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:52 AM   #10

Thanks for the tips guys !!! I really didn't think it would be a problem as the highs for the day of and after will be in the mid-50's. Still looking at a week away and the forecast has gotten even warmer now.

If you can't tell ... we have camping fever BAD !!!

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
Old 02-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarge1 View Post
I am not sure where the pump is physically located in the TT.

Hey Allan,

Your water pump is located directly beneath the sink, on the floor. It will be ( should be, as mine is ) behind the 2nd panel cutout to the left. Remove the 2 screws and behind there you will see your pump.

No cold weather camping here, although the temps have been pretty nice lately. Have fun!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #12

Weather is looking better for the trip !!!

Lowest temp from Thursday through Sunday of next week is 32 on Thursday with high on Saturday of 73 !

YAY !!! our first trip of 2017 is about to happen. Good thing too .. cabin fever is raging at our house.

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
Old 03-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

I have a campout this weekend and they are calling for 1-3inches of snow. This is the first full hookup test for me before a trip south next week and I have not tested the plumbing yet since we bought in winter.

I have a 26rlws and I am wondering if we should go. Weather is 25 at night and 40s during the day. I planned to disconnect the water at night and just use the tank (they are heated). The snow never lasts long here amd will be gone before I leave on sunday. I have heat tape to use if needed. The pump is in an external storage compartment with no inside access. I like the light bulb idea as well but think the heat tape would be better.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #14

I don't think you'll have trouble. Sounds like you've thought things pretty good. You dump valves may freeze. Don't force them if they do. Wait till sun warms them or use hair dryer.
Have a good trip.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #15

Good news on the weather! But just to be aware, even in the water pump and FW tank are in side the heated zone, there are probably other lines and fittings that are not. Typically this includes the external sink or sprayer line (ours is always under pressure so can't be separately drained, and also the blank tank flush line that also may hold water - and while the black tank itself might be heated with an Arctic Pak (hopefully, to prevent a frozen mess!), the spray line is not heated.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #16

The other option is to just keep it winterized and dry camp...the point was to find any possible leaks and fix them before a week long trip but now that may have to happen on the road if I don't dewinterize.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #17

Currently living in our Hemi in Central Jersey. Low this morning was 20, high for today is 27. Chill factor of 8. I do have a heated fresh water hose, a tower electric heater and the TT furnace. Been here all winter, not had an freezing yet...... The Hemi is not consider four season, but does have an enclosed underbelly as well as the tank drains are enclosed. Impressed with unit so far.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping