Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #1

Considering a Salem

We are looking at a 2016 Salem Cruise Lite BHXL 26 foot. The trailer is the perfect floor plan and the right price. It looks beautiful. I started reading reviews online and there's a lot of negative reviews. Can anyone share their experiences with this trailer please. We want to make a wise decision and we don't know anyone who owns one.
LCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #2

Our first tt was a 26' Salem LE. It was a pretty good camper for us and we never had any major problems. That was several years ago though.
With about any brand of new camper you will have a break in period where things are going to need repaired or replaced. After finding the camper that works for you and is within your budget, finding a good dealer and manufacturer that work well together and work well with you is the most important thing to do.
Good luck and happy camping.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Happy Camper

Unfortunately more than one camper fits your description. You might want to list the actual model designation. We are very happy with our camper. Mostly what you will read about in forums is when people have problems. Just FYI, the same company makes a whole lot of different camper brands.
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCowan View Post
We are looking at a 2016 Salem Cruise Lite BHXL 26 foot. The trailer is the perfect floor plan and the right price. It looks beautiful. I started reading reviews online and there's a lot of negative reviews. Can anyone share their experiences with this trailer please. We want to make a wise decision and we don't know anyone who owns one.
I bought that exact model (261bhxl) at the end of April, and we promptly took it on s 5k-mile trip to the Southwest. Needless to say, we broke it in well, and it performed satisfactorily. With that said, however, there have been a couple of issues that have had to be dealt with. This applies to almost all RVs however, not just this model. All-in-all, I've been pleased with it and would buy it again. It's a lot of value for the price. I've seen more expensive trailers with lesser build quality and fewer amenities.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

I bought the 2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BXHL which is about 29' including the hitch. Is this the model that you purchased or are considering purchasing?

We love the trailer but have just used it three times. For the money it's a lot of trailer with options that more expensive ones do not have. I especially like the power awning, jack, levelers, LED awning lights. I had the disconnect switch installed and added a second 12 volt battery next to the single battery on the hitch.

The only issues I have had so far is water leaks from water hoses and drain pipes that were not tight. I'd check them by hand before turning on the city water. That's the only issues we have had so far. It's a good trailer for the money but after 4 RV's there isn't a 'perfect RV or floor plan. LOL

If my rig would pull about another 500lbs I would have gotten the model with the single slide, that gives so much more room in the living area.

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:09 AM   #6

Thank you for your input. I am glad to hear you say you would by one again. We were going to trade our older Wilderness in, but decided to sell it ourselves so we haven't taken the plunge yet. I forgot to put the number 263 in front of the BHXL. So a little different model, but starting to feel a little more confident in our choice.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #7

Thank you. Feeling better knowing people are liking the Salem model. It is a beautiful trailer with exactly what we want. We hope to be signing paperwork soon. The one we chose is the 2017 Salem 263BHXL because the 2017 is the same price as the 2016.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #8

Oops! Forgot to add the number.....263BHXL
Old 07-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #9

I have the exact same model in a 2015 and love it , have many nights of camping with it .
the only problems i had was the ac unit was bad and stopped cooling on my 2nd night out , dealer took care of it asap .
and the awning motor went out .
it has been a great camper for the $$$$

Dave s
Switta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

Thanks Dave. We went back and looked at it again and decided to sell our old trailer on our own instead of trading it in. Unfortunately now we have researched a little more as to whether our 2001 F150 suprecrew can pull the weight (I know we should have done this before we looked at trailers!). I am a little bummed that this might be the case. Maybe someone has a suggestion for a little smaller trailer that weighs less, but still has a slide out. I know we will have to give up some of the features of the 263BHXL because we just can't afford a new truck and a trailer.

Lisa
Old 07-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCowan View Post
Maybe someone has a suggestion for a little smaller trailer that weighs less, but still has a slide out. I know we will have to give up some of the features of the 263BHXL...
The feature you're probably going to have to sacrifice is the slide. When I was shopping, my limiting factor (besides money of course) was also my 1/2 ton TV, and I was told that slides really add the weight. This was a HUGE dealership with dozens upon dozens of models and not a single one with slides that I could tow. That's why we settled on the 261bhxl, which is basically the 263 without a slide. Between 4-5k lbs. dry. Last time I weighed, I was about 6500 lbs. loaded. Still 3500 lbs shy of my truck's theoretical tow rating, but I honestly wouldn't want to tow anything heavier with this truck. IIRC, there isn't a smaller model in the Cruise Lite line with slides.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #12

We had this same unit pulled it with our 1500 Ram crew cab with 5.7. We upgraded our truck and trailer this summer. The only issue we had with the trailer was the lack of storage. But we had zero issues with the unit. In fact we liked it so much we bought a Salem Hemisphere 300BH
Buffalo2VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
Happy Camper

Ours is currently at the dealer where they are resolving some minor issues under warranty. I think with any camper, you are going to have to plan to spend some money from time to time. Not a huge deal, since it was so inexpensive to begin with. After you run the slide in and out a few times, check the gaskets around it for damage. And the switch on one of my stabilizers doesn't work most of the time.

One more thing. The battery will run itself down after a week or two if it is connected, so I'm having them install a disconnect switch. It should be standard equipment.
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #14

I would be very wary of Forest River. I bought a new Salem in June and it is at the dealer because they sold it to me with a diamond in the frame. 300 miles and it needs new tires. Not sure what they are going to do to try and repair the frame. I don't expect a happy ending.
boat603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat603 View Post
I would be very wary of Forest River. I bought a new Salem in June and it is at the dealer because they sold it to me with a diamond in the frame. 300 miles and it needs new tires. Not sure what they are going to do to try and repair the frame. I don't expect a happy ending.
What's a "diamond in the frame?" I'd be pretty happy if I discovered a diamond I'd take it straight to the appraiser without telling DW...

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2016, 03:31 AM   #16

We have the 346QBUD bunkhouse. Love it. Have lived in it for three months at a stretch. Only issue was the driver side wheel skirt was not bolted correctly and it bent itself backwards while traveling down the road. We were an hour from destination when this happened so we bent the skirt to fit correctly and duct taped it into place. Brown finish on camper and yellow tape; very stylish. After arriving at destination, we called the dealer and since the camp ground had a repair person on sight, the dealer had him fix the prob and we were on our way a few days later; continuing our journey. And as for the "China bombs" every one chats about - I caught myself tooling along at 80mph and didn't realize it - lucky me the tires held up quite well on our last trip. Maryland, Florida then on to California then back. I've learned to use cruise control.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem