Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #1

Cracked skylight at delivery?

Have 2 yr old Salem 27RKSS. Had multiple issues not fixed prior to delivery including a rubber seal on the wall above the slide being off of the track and sagging down noticeably and caught day after delivery while polishing trailer near slide. Also pins on power cord were bent significantly like trailer was moved without unplugging it. And corners of the wipe seal on the slide were badly torn before I even got the trailer.

Now after "close" inspection of roof, mainly to check sealant for cracks, etc found corner of skylight cracked all the way to its edge. Almost a certainty that it occurred at install. Trailer was stored indoors last 2 winters from Nov 1 to near end of April.

Any guess if Forest River should have caught this or dealer? Will likely get a tube of Dicor and cover it up.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crackedskylight.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	205053  

huskylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Lifesylers

Cracked Skylight

From my experience and others postings, FR QC really does not meet standards for QC..Slap them together move em out. I have 40 MH so does not matter if TT or MH

Old 05-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

Same issue. Brand New ROO 21SS

Just emailed the RV dealer. Waiting for a response but still disappointing. The trailer is 2 weeks old.
We did the pre-delivery inspection but did not climbed on the roof.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1201.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	205108
Cowpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskylover View Post
Have 2 yr old Salem 27RKSS. Had multiple issues not fixed prior to delivery including a rubber seal on the wall above the slide being off of the track and sagging down noticeably and caught day after delivery while polishing trailer near slide. Also pins on power cord were bent significantly like trailer was moved without unplugging it. And corners of the wipe seal on the slide were badly torn before I even got the trailer.

Now after "close" inspection of roof, mainly to check sealant for cracks, etc found corner of skylight cracked all the way to its edge. Almost a certainty that it occurred at install. Trailer was stored indoors last 2 winters from Nov 1 to near end of April.

Any guess if Forest River should have caught this or dealer? Will likely get a tube of Dicor and cover it up.

Thank you.
Okay, I'm confused. This 27RKSS is two years old and the complaint is that it has multiple issues that were not fixed prior to delivery?

I'm just having a hard time understanding that two years have gone by, but now these are manufacturing issues?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm confused too.
Cowpath has a 2 week old trailer and huskylover has a 2 year old trailer.
Cowpath, are you highjacking huskylover's thread?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #6

Its sad, but all over the internet, RV owners are complaining that the manufacturers are letting poor quality go out the door, and dealers are letting it slip by as well.

IMHO, it's up to the buyer to carefully inspect their new RV upon purchase, before taking possession of the rig. It should NOT be this way, but that is the state of the industry.
NC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #7

[QUOTE=huskylover;2100036]Have 2 yr old Salem 27RKSS. Had multiple issues not fixed prior to delivery including a rubber seal on the wall above the slide being off of the track and sagging down noticeably and caught day after delivery while polishing trailer near slide. Also pins on power cord were bent significantly like trailer was moved without unplugging it. And corners of the wipe seal on the slide were badly torn before I even got the trailer.

Thank you.

You have a 2 year old unit and are complaining that FR didn't detect a crack in the skylight? That crack doesn't appear to be recent as it's filled with dirt.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #8

We purchased a 2019 27rkss. Yes it went back to dealer for cracked skylight. They apparently over torqued the screws and even had extra screws where then shouldn't be. That's just one of several problems that I found. Being 2 hrs from the dealer I took care of all but the skylight. Now if it molds or has other issues I have a record of the work. The TV antenna wasn't connected in the ceiling under the crank. The kitchen faucet leaked( Amazon $81). The stabilizer were floppy since they broke the heads off the self drilling screw and never tried to replace. Bad crimp on water tank hose let water leak out on ground. Battery box was full of water and no drain holes. There are taillight wires hang down. My wife said take it back and have them repair but it's not worth the 4hr round trip◊2 to just take care of it and use what I paid for. Now battery wont charge so I cant hook/unhook unless its plugged in.
Deere97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #9

I started the thread

Had multiple issues on my 27RKSS before delivery. Two seals issues including clearly torn wipe seal tears in corners. Did not find cracked skylight til 2 yrs later. Near delivery dealer service manager said did not need to fix seal issues as they likely will not result in leaks. At that point lost all confidence in that manager. (By the way there was complete turnover in service staff.) I decided to fix seals myself. Just had issues not caught before delivery and a service manager saying issues did not require service. A torn wipe seal in both corners is ok?
huskylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
NXR

Check out the attached PDF.

"Alpha Systems, LLC is alerting you to a potential issue involving the Alpha Systems polycarbonate outer dome skylights (Clear/Bronze/White), installed on units manufactured between 12/1/2018 and 4/19/19.

What is the issue?

A limited number of outer dome skylights (V1422CLOD/V1422BROD/V1422WHOD) have displayed cracks soon after installation. Cracks may originate at the flange of the skylight and extend outward. This issue has been known to occur within 2 weeks of installation."

Unfortunately it does not say which Forest River models use those skylights but your description seems to match up. FR apparently has distributed this PDF to their dealers.

HTH,

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CrackedSkylightAlphaTSB.pdf (255.6 KB, 9 views)
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #11

My old travel trailer had the same cracks in the corners. I used DICOR to seal it up. Likely either sun damage or over-tightened screws. If you have a new RV you really do not want to scrape back the self-leveling sealant just to inspect the skylight. I guess we are all SOL if they crank down on the screws at the factory.

2019 Hemisphere GLX 314BUD with Goodyear Endurance tires
2016 Ford F-150 3.5 L Ecoboost /Air Lift LoadLifter 5000
Husky Centerline WDH/Anti-sway
TST 507 TPMS
Dual Honda EU2200i w/extended run tank
Mad_River is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, light, skylight