Old 03-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #41
Never Stop Exploring

Pawntan: Great to hear your new 195BH went 1,600 miles with no major problems. Sounds like your eaz lift sway control is working well for you. In May we will tow our trailer 2,000 miles through UT, CO, NM, AZ and NV. This will be our first long trip over two weeks.

Sorry to hear about your issues with your water heater/showers, furnace and propane tank during your trip. Here are some things that may help:

BTU input of our 195BH gas appliances:
1. 19K furnace.
2. 12K water heather
3. 6.5K each gas cooktop burner (two burner).
4. 1K refrigerator.

What we did:
1. Furnace (19K BTU). "Never" use it. It is the only gas appliance in the trailer that not only draws (wastes) the most propane, but is too noisy for us when the blower fan cycles on all night. We learned from our former 2014 hard side pop-up trailer w/same furnace how useless it was for us.

Hookups: We use an 120v Delonghi EW7507EB portable oil filled radiator. It is digital with three heat settings and adjustable thermostat. It is QUITE....absolutely no sound and nice even, steady heat. Our bathroom door is always closed when heater is on.

Dry camping: We have a 3K BTU Camco Olympian Wave 3 catalytic converter. It has direct spark ignition (manual striker) and has two heat settings. Very quite, even, steady heat and only 3K BTUs. This is where a 2nd propane tank comes in and routing the hose connection back to trailer. I installed this in our former hard side pop-up and it worked great. For our 195BH I plan to run the propane hose up into one of the dining room seat storage boxes and set the catalytic converter on the dining room table at night. I have a quick disconnect at the cat. converter to remove it from the table. This cat. converter can be either wall mounted or sit on legs. Not installed yet so I don't know if our 3K BTU Wave 3 is big enough for our trailer. If not, the next size up is a 6K BTU.

2. Water heater (12K BTU)/showers. Keep the switch turned off when not using. We turn the water heater on and let the 6 gal tank get fully hot before we take a shower. Between each person's shower, let the heater reheat the tank fully. The tank takes about 15 min to reheat. When we do this, each shower (hot to warm) lasts about 6 min. before the tank needs to reheat. The water heater is turned off all night and on in the daytime only when we need hot water. Keeping it off as much as possible will help save propane.

3. Two burner gas cooktop (6.5K BTU each burner). We primarily use the cooktop (both dry camping and hookups) for boiling hot water for instant coffee and making soup. We do most of our cooking outside with a 2nd 20lb. propane tank.

4. Refrigerator (1K BTU). Propane when dry camping, electric when on hookups.

Your gray water tank should not have filled up after 4 two minute showers. Could your use of the kitchen sink (over the week) nearly filled your grey tank?

FR should never have put a single 20lb. propane tank on these trailers. The furnace and water heater will use up the tank fast if not conservative. Our former 2014 hard-side pop-up (much lighter weight) had two 20lb tanks and we had plenty of extra propane after two week trips (using our furnace changes above).

Last week I changed our single propane tank to dual propane tanks and modified the battery tray to accept two Group 27 12 volt batteries. Will not travel with two 27s on the tongue (to much weight) but will hook them both up when dry camping for long periods. The dual propane tanks will sit just fine on the tongue frame. In my next Post I will send photos of these two modifications. Very happy now to have dual propane tanks on our trailer.

ST205/75/R15/D trailer tires
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #42
Never Stop Exploring

Dual Propane Tanks and Battery Tray Modification

Last week we replaced our 195BH single 20lb propane tank with dual tanks and modified the battery tray to accept two Group 27 12 volt batteries. Our neighbor had a portable welder which saved us from taking the trailer to a weld shop. I finished the job with a primer two top coats over the entire tongue frame and trays. Be sure to mask over all labels on the frame before painting.

Dual Propane Tanks: Grind frame and tray contact points to bare metal and spot weld the top of the tray to the frame.
Parts: (all on Amazon).
Dual propane tanks tray kit.
4 ft. supply hose.
Two 12 inch pigtail hoses.
Regulator (ours is a Cavagna).
20lb tank (we already had and extra one).

Battery Tray: Removed the two short angle iron supports at each end of the tray and spot welded 4 metal straps. Also added spot welds under the frame for the two long angle iron supports. The tray will now accept two Group 27 batteries by themselves. Group 27 battery boxes will not fit in the tray without cutting and gorilla taping the two boxes together. We were unable to find two smaller 27 boxes or one single box for dual 27s to fit in the tray.

We do not travel with two Group 27 batteries on the tongue (we feel it is too much weight). When dry camping for a long time we connect up (in parallel) the second 27 Group battery.

Our trailer tongue weight will support dual 20lb propane tanks. FR should have built these trailers with dual tanks.

Any questions/feedback/thank you are appreciated.

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	102499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	102500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	102501  

Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #43

I have the WDH and wouldn't even think about towing with my AWD SUV without it. Without it the TT sags in the middle. I'm right at my weight limit and I feel so much safer with it. I also use the Prodigy 2 electric brake controller.

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #44

My 2016 261BHXL Salem lite came with dual LP tanks on the front. I did add a 2nd battery in parallel to the front however.

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
I do not have a sagging problem since I have a a heavy duty shocks.
However I do feel the sway on windy conditions.
is it possible to just install the sway control without the distributing hitch bars and chains ? Because all I need is to control the sway, not the sagging.
I'm ordering eaz lift, and looking at the following video it seems like the sway control and the weight distributing are two separate independent system
Old 03-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #46

Glad I found this thread, thanks Camp4two, as I have a 2014 model.
As I've been using this model for two years we love it for a family of 4, the two toddlers love the bunks.
Saw a post about the propane and furnace. I've been meaning to upgrade to two tanks but never had a problem with one and enjoy keeping the trailer lightweight. We camp a lot in the spring and fall and utilize the furnace on a daily basis keeping the interior around 62 degrees. I think it works great and only fill my propane tank a couple times a year. Here's a few upgrades I made.
1. Electronic thermostat for furnace to more accurately control heat and reduce propane used.
2. 19" lcd TV installed on cabinet beside microwave. Used a swing out swivel arm bracket so the tv can be viewed from bed or bunks.
3. 6 speed Vent fan in bathroom
4. Upgraded showerhead to Oxygenics Bodyspa. MUCH better shower and actually uses less water.
5. Replaced the main bed mattress with a real one
6. Portable stabilizer jacks under front end. It's the kind that aren't attached to camper because I found a pair on sale cheap. Just throw in back of truck and get out when setting up. It was a much cheaper alternative then installing front stabilizer jacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2016, 02:03 AM   #47

Golfnbike13,
You mentioned that you upgraded to an electronic thermostat; can you provide some details? Thanks
Old 03-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #48
Never Stop Exploring

Golfnbike13,

Glad you like this thread. Thank you. Trying to use this thread as sort of a reference library for 195BH owners/potential buyers and anyone who may find the posts here helpful.

WDH: You have some good points. Good for everyone to know that maybe just a sway control hitch is all that may be needed for their tow vehicle.

Propane: A single tank will work fine and propane does last a long time. We changed to dual tanks to get more options from the second tank. We cook outside when dry camping so I move the second propane tank to our outdoor propane stove (we don't use the small Coleman propane bottles). We also have a fire bowl so in the evening we can connect the second tank up for a fire. At bedtime I just move the tank back to the trailer and connect via a separate regulator & hose that runs to a 3K BTU catalytic converter that we prefer to use. And (less importance) just having a backup tank.

Great improvements you made too. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have some more details (make/model) about the 6 speed Vent fan you put in the bathroom?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chcooper View Post
Golfnbike13,
You mentioned that you upgraded to an electronic thermostat; can you provide some details? Thanks

Check out this thread and let me know if you have questions.
Installing digital thermostat
Installing digital thermostat

Old 03-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
Golfnbike13,

Glad you like this thread. Thank you. Trying to use this thread as sort of a reference library for 195BH owners/potential buyers and anyone who may find the posts here helpful.

WDH: You have some good points. Good for everyone to know that maybe just a sway control hitch is all that may be needed for their tow vehicle.

Propane: A single tank will work fine and propane does last a long time. We changed to dual tanks to get more options from the second tank. We cook outside when dry camping so I move the second propane tank to our outdoor propane stove (we don't use the small Coleman propane bottles). We also have a fire bowl so in the evening we can connect the second tank up for a fire. At bedtime I just move the tank back to the trailer and connect via a separate regulator & hose that runs to a 3K BTU catalytic converter that we prefer to use. And (less importance) just having a backup tank.

Great improvements you made too. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have some more details (make/model) about the 6 speed Vent fan you put in the bathroom?

Makes sense on the second propane with all that external stuff. I just use the little Coleman bottles for everything outside.

My trailer didn't have fans in the ceiling vents so I added one in bathroom. It has speeds in both directions and can be an exhaust fan, or a fan blowing air in. It's pretty powerful and creates a great breeze inside to cool things down without using AC and runs off 12v. Going to add a second in other vent eventually. Here is a link from other thread about it.
Customizing my Camper
Customizing my Camper

« Winterizing | - »