Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHeffernan View Post
Good information . I have a wildwood xlite 185rb and looking to add a generator for boondocking. I looking at this one
which should be enough power and runs off propane or gas. Do you carry it in your tow vehicle or you have mounted somewhere?
I'm thinking of building a bracket underneath camper to mount it. its not very big and then run a line from propane Bottle.
Any suggestions ?

I actually just borrowed the generator for a trip so I left in back of my truck for transporting, but that's what I would do anyway. I'm not sure there would be enough room under to transport one but DO NOT run a generator under your camper. They produce toxic carbon monoxide and I've heard of several tragedies from family who ran it under their camper while sleeping.

FYI - there is nothing as quiet as those Honda inverter generators, hence the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #102

That's a good point . I hear a lot mount them on bumper hitch in back but need that area for bikes.
Yeah I looked at Hondas but they're double the cost of this one and I believe this is 50db which is not any louder than dishwasher in home
DougHeffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #103

It says sound is 59db at 23 feet. That means your gonna have to keep it over 23 feet away to sound like a dishwasher...

Old 06-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #104

How easy is it to replace the non fan vent with a fan vent in these trailers?

Harveyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyfamily View Post
How easy is it to replace the non fan vent with a fan vent in these trailers?

Not that hard, I did it in our bathroom and it's the best mod if you don't have any fans. Hardest part was getting my hands in the small area between roof and interior ceiling to splice into power. It's somewhere in this thread Customizing my Camper

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t

Old 06-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #106

Does anyone have the EZ Lube axles and if so where are the grease ports (zero fittings)? I have the 2014 model and never been able to find them.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:28 AM   #107
Explore

We have them on our 2016. Gently remove the rubber dust cover the end of the wheel hub with a small screwdriver. The grease zerk is behind it.
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:56 AM   #108

Is there any way to swap the 120v fridge out with a 2 way elec and LP?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyfamily View Post
Is there any way to swap the 120v fridge out with a 2 way elec and LP?

I've wondered the same thing and started the thread below on the topic. I haven't pursued it as its not worth the cost for me. We stock the fridge day before leaving with trailer plugged in and it keeps everything cold while traveling up to 3 hours for us. Then hookup at site with no issues.

If I'm boondocking I'll just use a cooler in back of truck. But I've heard many people say you can put ice or frozen water bottles in the fridge and it works just like a cooler.

Replace 120v fridge with propane version

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t

Old 06-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #110

I'd hate to go through all that trouble and expense. The first trip we did I had the fridge cooling overnight at our house. This next trip will be about 5 hours as we are going to the beach.

I'd love to find a way to run the fridge on an inverter so that its powered while we are driving.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #111

2016 Cruise Lite 195BH

My wife froze a bunch of water bottles before we left and placed inside refrigerator. We drove 6 1/2 hours and everything was still nice and cold.
DougHeffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #112
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHeffernan View Post
My wife froze a bunch of water bottles before we left and placed inside refrigerator. We drove 6 1/2 hours and everything was still nice and cold.
We typically just bring the cold food in a cooler with some frozen bottles of water inside. When we arrive, we start the refrigerator and put half the frozen bottles on the top shelf of the refrigerator to help cool it down. Within a few hours, we transfer the food to the refrigerator. Then we put the partially melted bottles of water up in the freezer for the return trip.
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #113

2 great solutions above from Doug and Tony.
Harveyfamily- I'm sure you could use an inverter to run for 6 hours as long as it had enough watts and battery power.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #114

About to camp for the second time. Full hook ups again and only two nights so I don't know if I will learn much but I will post anything I do learn/decide to improve upon when we return.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13423956_10153563334532021_5372854850292552755_n.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	112084  
Dadeodavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #115

I did find the trailer to be much more stable with the fresh water tank full instead of leaving it empty when I have a water hookup. I knew I wasn't going to be long so I filled fresh water and filled grey and black to 2/3 when I first arrived and I couldn't even make the trailer shake! My pregnant wife loved it, I highly recommend it for short trips.
Dadeodavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #116

So we are at the beach for our second trip in our 195BH. We mounted the tv on a wall mount on the side of the cabinet near the microwave and it's made a world of difference on that side of the counter. We also got external speakers for it so now we can hear it with the AC going full blast. For some reason the AC doesn't seem as loud as before.

I bought scissor jacks for the front to stabilize it since we noticed the front before was wobbly with it just on the tongue jack. It's better but the trailer still shakes a little and we think it's from the wind more than anything as the kids are perfectly still. Would filling the fresh water tank even though we are on park water help? Is there a quick way to empty the fresh water tank when we leave?

I did notice that when I was deploying the scissor jacks for the front that I had to expand one a little higher than the other side. We are on a concrete pad so not sure what the deal is there but both jacks are on the same spot of the frame just past the part that curves up.

This trip is going much better than the first one so I'm thinking readjusting some things on the inside has helped. We really do like the trailer now that we are making some improvements.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #117
Explore

Glad to hear the improvements you have made make your 195BH more enjoyable.

As Dadeodavid mentioned below, filling your fresh water tank (when on a city water hookup) and adding water to your grey and black tanks adds weight in the back of the trailer and it does help stabilize our 195BH. On our last day, we pull away from our campsite, then open the fresh and hot water tanks drain valves (all three) and let the tanks drain while driving. We close up the drain valves when we arrive back home. In addition to our front/rear stabilizer jacks, we purchased Camco's Aluminum Stack Jack Stand (2 pack). They have come in handy when dry camping on uneven ground.

Your concrete pad at the beach may possibly be sloped a little for drainage causing one of your stabilizer jacks to be extended a little more than the other. Main thing is to get the trailer level. I use a torpedo level but any bubble level should do.

Happy camping in your new trailer.
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #118

What a great thread, I love hearing other people's ideas. Done a couple mods myself lately.

Added under awning LEDs:

Added an easily accessible outdoor TV:

I know a lot of people are anti-TV but we normally watch classic movies at night

I also used Eternabond on on the roof seams. No pics but I highly recommend this stuff.
TN_Cruise_Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:53 PM   #119

2016 Cruise Lite 195BH

Unexpected mod for us. The old fridge started leaking freon, the pipes started corroding ?sp? We got three years out of the first one. Its nice having a true freezer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1467604227.170651.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	113007  
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:05 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawga View Post
Unexpected mod for us. The old fridge started leaking freon, the pipes started corroding ?sp? We got three years out of the first one. Its nice having a true freezer
That's was a blessing in disguise if you think about it. I'd love to have a true freezer but not a mod that would be priority, only if like you the fridge needed replacement.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote