Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #1

Detachable tongue questions

Hi all, I'm new to the FR forums. We just bought a 2011 Salem Villa Estate 39XX(something, can't remember). The TT is on a seasonal site. I've discovered that the tongue is removable. I'd like to detach the tongue and do some site improvements. I have a few questions for the group:
  1. How heavy is the tongue once it's unbolted? I'm wondering if the DW and I can handle it ourselves.
  2. How do I relocate the battery box?
  3. What do I do with the propane tanks? There is a 100 lb cylinder there in addition to the factory set.
Thanks in advance.
KyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:13 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forums. I am not familiar with your set up but would be fairly heavy. The worst problem I can see is if you ever want to put it back on it would be a bear to hold & line up to get the bolts back in. Without some type of hoist or jack.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #3

Oaklevel, thanks for your thoughts. I'm hoping to get more inputs on the battery box and propane tank relocates. C'mon folks, I've scoured these forums and haven't found the info I seek. I know there are lots of smart people on the forums.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Best advice is landscape around it and leave it on.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear/see, but it is an honest opinion.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Best advice is landscape around it and leave it on.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear/see, but it is an honest opinion.
X2 what OldCoot said. Maybe put a little white picket fence around it and put some climbing roses or vines of some sort on the picket fence?

Seems a MUCH easier solution than trying to relocate both the battery and the propane tanks.

Do you have skirting around the rest of the trailer?
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. If I'm able to dismount the tongue, then I can relocate a shed to the front of the trailer which will open up the lake view a bit more. There is skirting around the deck but the trailer has this tacky looking plastic picket fencing around it.

July 2012 to June 2014:
2006 Keystone Hornet 31FLS
Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #7

Project completed

We got the tongue removed and the sheds relocated. It was a messy dirty difficult job, but was well worth it as the lake view from the deck is opened up and the front of the trailer has been decluttered and unjunkified. I wish I had taken a before photo of that mess. I'm sure the neighbor will appreciate it. Here are a few observations:
  • There were 12 bolts. Size was 15/16". They were so tight an impact wrench was required. A breaker bar and leverage pipe was not cutting it.
  • I'd estimate the tongue weighed about 100 lbs. Me and the DW were able to manage it. After removing we stored it under the trailer.

• The electricals were easy to remove. The breakaway break unit and tow vehicle connection were zip tied and stored under the trailer near the frame. The battery leads simply fished through a couple of holes on the frame. The battery box was placed on a stack of concrete blocks under the front edge of the trailer. I'm going to place some wood under the box as I've heard that batteries should not set directly on concrete.

• The sheds were relocated to the front of the trailer.

• The propane tank assembly was relocated to the right of the sheds.

July 2012 to June 2014:
2006 Keystone Hornet 31FLS