Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #1

Disconnecting battery

When should I be disconnecting my battery on the TT? Any time it's not in use? Or just over long term storage?I park it in my driveway and can plug in to shore power there whenever needed.
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #2

If you have a battery disconnect, use it. If you don't you can either disconnect the battery or leave it plugged in to shore power. Reason..their are many things that draw 12v power all the time when camper is not in use. You will have a dead battery in about 1-2 weeks. If you choose to leave it plugged into shore power, check water levels in battery to be sure converter isn't over charging battery. The WFCO converter s sometimes do.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Always Learning

If the camper isn't plugged into shore power and I'm not going to use it for more than a day or two, I disconnect the battery.

Basically, my battery dies within days from parasitic loads.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #4

Thanks everyone. If I'm plugged in to shore power at home do I even need the battery hooked up?
I don't have a battery disconnect, are they worth it?
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #5

You should connect battery, especially if you have any slides. Yes a disconnect is worth it, or simply disconnect

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
McCubbies

When mine is not in use...disconnected always. When I go to hook up, it's connected. Not a bad idea to hook up a trickle charger while at the site of you can.
McCubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #7

All batteries self-discharge and lead acid batteries need to be recharged at least once each month. Every 30 days reconnect it and plug in overnight. Do the same thing the night before any trip and again overnight when you get back.
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #8

Absent a phantom load...a lead acid battery will self discharge at about 10% a month. More when the temps are above 75...less when they are freezing.
The best thing to do is to make sure your batt is fully charged...then disconnect it with the $5 switch and you can safely walk away for 90 days before you recharge it. This is better for the battery than leaving it constantly on float charge AND you won't have to worry about checking water levels between charges.

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Absent a phantom load...a lead acid battery will self discharge at about 10% a month. More when the temps are above 75...less when they are freezing.
The best thing to do is to make sure your batt is fully charged...then disconnect it with the $5 switch and you can safely walk away for 90 days before you recharge it. This is better for the battery than leaving it constantly on float charge AND you won't have to worry about checking water levels between charges.
Lead acid batteries self-discharge up to 1% per day; age is a factor, too. They will also begin to sulphate once they get below 95% which is why you don't want to go more than a month - even that is pushing it for an old battery in warm temps.

90 days is way too long, that will quickly kill a battery, with the only exception when it is 20 degrees outside. Then you can go 2-3 months.

I prefer to use an external fuse as a cutoff so I don't have to open up the battery box.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
Thanks everyone. If I'm plugged in to shore power at home do I even need the battery hooked up?
Yes, battery disconnect switch is worth it. My battery didn't last long at all before having an disconnect switch installed. I have the push/pull knob located on the outside of the TT by the battery box.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by techntrek View Post
Lead acid batteries self-discharge up to 1% per day; age is a factor, too. They will also begin to sulphate once they get below 95% which is why you don't want to go more than a month - even that is pushing it for an old battery in warm temps.

90 days is way too long, that will quickly kill a battery, with the only exception when it is 20 degrees outside. Then you can go 2-3 months.
Here is documentation for my assertion proven with a 6 year old battery in storage in a shed in Maine...yes...for the winter but also for spring and summer with shed temperatures getting over 100 degrees.
90 days is perfectly safe except perhaps in the desert.

Really, It Was Not My Fault........... photo - Compass Marine How To photos at pbase.com

If you wish to read the entire test description you need to go to Marine How To - Compass Marine - Boat Repair Free Information and click on "how to articles" and scroll way down to the "Effect of winter on batteries" article for the detailed measurements and set up.

I also note that Trojan's white paper on the subject shows 60% of capacity left after 12 weeks at 75 degrees...so unless it is REALLY hot, 12 weeks is no problem. http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/WP_...orage_0512.pdf

I'll drop this now and people can make up their own minds about what is safe for them.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
Yes they are
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Here is documentation for my assertion proven with a 6 year old battery in storage in a shed in Maine...yes...for the winter but also for spring and summer with shed temperatures getting over 100 degrees.
90 days is perfectly safe except perhaps in the desert.
Yes, I've been to Maine and it isn't the desert. It stays much cooler through the summer months and much colder in the winter months - all excellent temps for protecting lead acid batteries, as I stated in my last post. Just one example of the average temps at Ogunquit: Average Weather for Ogunquit, ME - Temperature and Precipitation

If the battery in that link is supposed to still be used, it never should have been tested down to 10.5 volts (0% SOC), which has done permanent damage.

You must recharge overnight every 30 days, unless it is mid-winter... or you live in Maine.

Tags
battery