Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #1

Dometic Air Conditioners

I had to take my 2018 28RLSS in to have the AC unit checked out. I used the TT one time and the AC was blowing hot. The service department at Camping World (Summerfield FL) said... Well, it's very hot outside..... I said, not at midnight.

Turns out the AC unit had no freon. They ordered a new AC unit.

There are so many listings on the internet about failing Dometic AC units. Years ago Dometic AC units lasted forever. What the heck has gone wrong with this brand?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #2
"On the road again"

We've had Dometic A/C units since our first travel trailer back in 2001 and never had an issue with any of them. I hope that holds true on the three units that came with our current fifth wheel.

We did learn from our first fifth wheel that a single A/C unit is absolutely inadequate here in Texas summers.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:56 AM   #3

My Shasta motorhome back in the 80's had a Dometic AC unit and it would freeze you out. It cranked out the cold air year after year in the south Florida heat. It never gave me one problem.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #4

Dometic Air Cond.

I hear you Buddy.... I from SW FL. I have a 2012 2950RL Blue Ridge. I'm on my 3rd unit. They blew cool for less than 2 seasons & when you consider actual
run time your talking hours...... My dealer said that he's been changing out Dometic units like crazy & that they knows they have a problem with their condensers leaking. Like I said on on my 3rd unit & this one has been getting a real workout.... Been on a 6 week trip & so far so good.......
daveinsinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #5
Insert witty title here

I have a 30A TT which means only 1 AC unit. I'm a little nervous taking my camper out towards the Grand Canyon next August.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #6

I had a thermostat go bad on mine under warranty, it wouldn't stop spewing cold air. No problems since.
Some problems could be induced by mishandling by the manufacturer and/or dealer. They don't hire rocket scientists.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:49 AM   #7

Grande Canyon...August.... I have only 1 unit in a 30 foot coach & it works hard to to keep things barely comfortable, planning on a second unit if for anything else a backup..
Old 07-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcalaGuy View Post
I had to take my 2018 28RLSS in to have the AC unit checked out. I used the TT one time and the AC was blowing hot. The service department at Camping World (Summerfield FL) said... Well, it's very hot outside..... I said, not at midnight.

Turns out the AC unit had no freon. They ordered a new AC unit.

There are so many listings on the internet about failing Dometic AC units. Years ago Dometic AC units lasted forever. What the heck has gone wrong with this brand?

That Camping World Service Department is the worst experience ever. Took my 2018 Salem Hemisphere TT there, not a good experience. Won’t take anything there again.
ladypmff72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I have a 30A TT which means only 1 AC unit. I'm a little nervous taking my camper out towards the Grand Canyon next August.
Something to think about with only one AC (like my rig) is starting your AC prior to your rig interior reaching 80* Which means you may have to have it on starting in early morning. It seems 80* is the magic number with either RV or Stick house to start the unit to ensure it will keep things cool.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #10
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Something to think about with only one AC (like my rig) is starting your AC prior to your rig interior reaching 80* Which means you may have to have it on starting in early morning. It seems 80* is the magic number with either RV or Stick house to start the unit to ensure it will keep things cool.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to fit a small window AC into one of the camper windows and running it's power cord directly out to the power pedestal.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
Retired Navy

The problem with getting your Dometic news on a website is only negative news is presented. Did you ever see a post that said my Dometic is working great? Reading only negative news can slant your view of the world. There are bad ones out there, but do they represent the majority?
Old 07-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
Retired Navy

Easy Start wiring diagrams:
https://www.microair.net/pages/rv-so...-resource-page
Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #13

I think that the mini split system is the future for the RV Manufactures. & its a easy after market install.Watch out Dometic..........
Found this on Youtube https://youtu.be/eFkLrGx6la8 Starting to see this more & more
Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_K View Post
The problem with getting your Dometic news on a website is only negative news is presented. Did you ever see a post that said my Dometic is working great? Reading only negative news can slant your view of the world. There are bad ones out there, but do they represent the majority?

I would have to say it’s probably the majority. I have had my fifth wheel 3 years and it is at the dealer right now getting the 6th dometic replaced. This last one lasted less than 3 months. The dealer told me they are replacing 5-10 of them a week. The old ones were great but the new ones are junk. My dad had a 93 motor home that had both original AC units that I think were dometic on it when he sold it about 2 years ago and it would freeze you.
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #15
Happy Camper

Quote:
Park in the shade if you can. It helps a lot.
Anderson Ultimate Connection 5th wheel hitch
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #16

We have a 2016 270s 28’10”
It has 2 air conditioners (Domestic). We normally run them when hooked in to electricity and no problem. We parked in a Walmart and weather was about 100. Out indoor thermostat said 110! Turned on the generator and switched on the front air conditioner. It started up after it’s usual delay then quit. Won’t start again. Is there a breaker or fuse somewhere that we can’t find to fix this or did it just go kaput? Oh after this tried the 2nd ac and it wouldn’t even start. Had to get a motel room!
rldself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_K View Post
Sorry that's not the case, it's the other way round. They are made in China what else would you expect.
eddy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinsinna View Post
I think that the mini split system is the future for the RV Manufactures. & its a easy after market install.Watch out Dometic..........
Found this on Youtube https://youtu.be/eFkLrGx6la8 Starting to see this more & more
I think you're onto something there. Watched the video, and there was a link in the comments to what they bought - $800 for the system, pretty efficient at 21.5 SEER.

Direct link: https://www.highseer.com/ultra-high-...ys012am22.html

If my Dometic goes south, post-warranty, I may rig up one of these. A 9000 BTU would be just fine for my smaller trailer. I'd remove the heavy parts of the old Dometic, but leave the base & cover on (for roof protection and "camo"...lol)
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #19

Quote:
We just came from Moab, 102 each day. We have 1 15k AC unit on our 35ft TT. First day when we got in it was 90 in trailer, unit struggled to cool it. We have a pedestal fan that helped out. After first night, got down to 74, it was fine the rest of the time. Kept it around 74 all the time.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, dometic