Old 07-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Downsize To Better Tires?

Looking at non ST tires with high load ratings I found the 195/70R15 Continental VancoFourSeasons at Tire Rack ($130). This is an european type commercial tire that has a load rating of 1984 pounds @ 65PSI. This is 164 pounds higher load rating than my factory ST205/70D15 C. So even though this tire has a slighly smaller tread width, it has a higher load rating than my current China Bombs plus they are made in Europe.

Question: Could this tire be a better replacement choice for safer travels?

Old 07-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

I cannot give you a complete answer, just something to consider. The ST, trailer tires are supposed have a thicker sidewall than a conventional (non-ST) tire. ST is supposed to take more sidewall flexing which is caused by the type of turning on a trailer compared to a car turning. Therefore if it were me I would stay with a ST (trailer tire) over a conventional tire (non-ST). I have also heard that ST tires are supposed to last better than non-ST due to UV breakdown and sitting for longer periods which can also effect the sidewalls. Someone with more tire knowledge maybe can give you a better answer.

txredfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

All very valid points, txredfish!
The big unknown with chinese ST tires is the lack of quality control. Back in 2004 my new Cougar TT suffered 3 blowouts within 4 months. The tire distributor replaced all the damaged tires plus the remaining running tire and spare. I haven't had any issues since with almost 7,000 miles of travel on different trailers. But the worry still lingers!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:03 AM   #4

I just got some d load rating 205 75 15's from autogrip. Although made in China, they are radials that stepped me up from a c class to a d rating, we will see how they hold up, but they look pretty solid so far and towing is much better than on the original Bias tires
Old 07-05-2015, 03:15 AM   #5

Sorry I did not see 15 inch...never mind
Old 07-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

ST vs LT Tires

I did a lot of research on this last year because our TT is in its fourth season and we were planning a three month trip north. After all my research, I had decided to go to a Goodyear LT style tire. I went to the guy at the Goodyear store that I've bought from for 20 years and he said NO! Same reasons as stated already.....different side wall construction, which gives you better stability and greater protection against puncture ( if you drag it over a curb) and of course none of us ever do THAT😉 I bought 225-75R16 Goodyear Marathons. Been real happy but only 6000KM on them on this trip. We are doing 800 miles of gravel road in the next few weeks so that will be the test.

Tags
tire, tires