Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

dual battery box

The Cruise Lite 261 came with only a single battery and box. My trade in had dual batteries and boxes side by side. I kept the 2nd battery from my trade it and just assumed the two batteries and boxes would fit on the tongue of the Cruise Lite...wrong! There is insufficient space for two of them side by side.

I want to have two batteries and boxes on the tongue like the trade in TT had. Has anyone found a reasonably priced (less than $100) dual battery box (plastic or otherwise) for this purpose? I'm thinking about cutting the two ends off of my two single battery boxes and joining them together somehow. I'm also considering installing a disconnect switch on top of the battery box to keep them from draining the power. Any comments and or suggestions would be appreciated.

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team

I ran into a space issue on my Cruise Lite too. After pondering about it for a year I finally decided to have the WD saddles welded on so that two boxes would fit. I went into this decision knowing that it would void the warranty on that area of the frame. I know that the guy cut the handles off the ends on one side of the boxes.

I had a disconnect switch installed that is located close to the battery but on the TT. This is a push/pull knob.

Will check pictures when I get home to see if any would be helpful.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #3
OLD DLR

Two small batt boxes and batts work ! Easy and disconnect switch works! Just did it! It works but more than $100
ALLEND55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #4

I decided to cut the ends out of both black plastic battery boxes and lids and connect them back together with gorilla tape. (there was more than enough room for the 2 12volt batteries end to end after doing this) I did it and it works fine. I appears to be totally water proof and is solid as can be with very little room to wiggle in the tongue of the TT.

I also had the disconnect switch installed by the dealer and it works great and saves my batteries from discharging.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Explore

Gary -> I just modified (reinforced) the battery tray in our 195BH and it will now accept two Group 27 batteries for dry camping. My two boxes don't fit the tray so I plan to do the same cuts and gorilla tape - THANK YOU. I had no luck trying to find two smaller 27 boxes or a single box for dual 27s.

Curious: Are your two batteries 27's?
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #6

Yes, I believe mine are 27's.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
Explore

Thank you. Got my Gorilla tape today and ready to do surgery on my two battery boxes.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
Thank you. Got my Gorilla tape today and ready to do surgery on my two battery boxes.

I'd like to see photos and details. I have the same TT and want to upgrade to dual batteries. Sounds like you do a lot of dry camping, what else have you done to the 195bh for that?
Golfnbike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:55 AM   #9
Explore

Go to my thread "2016 Cruise Lite 195BH". I keep most of the information on our 195BH in this thread (a good reference too). Recently posted there some photos of our dual battery tray modification and change to dual propane tanks. Lots of good info there.

When I get the two Group 27 battery boxes cut/taped I'll post some photos to the above thread.

Yes, we plan to do more dry camping this year so getting our new trailer ready to be more self contained.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #10

Can't wait to see your photos! I'm heading out first thing in the Morning for a beautiful RV park on the Snake River close to Twin Falls. It's our maiden run so pretty excited. Bought the trailer in November and have been 'feathering our nest' this whole time with some upgrades and makin it home. I just sanitized the tanks and tried out all the water connections and they seem fine. The water pump is so quiet hardly know it running. I should take a photo of my double battery box. Maybe I will tomorrow and let you see what mine looks like.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #11
Explore

I grew up in Twin Falls and passed through for one night on our way to Stanley, ID last year. We stayed at the KOA just across the Snake River from Twin. Is that the RV Park or another one your going to? We are going back to Stanley again in Sept.

Before I begin cutting on my boxes I would like to see how you did yours. I would get some good ideas from your boxes. PLEASE do send a photo - thank you.

Jim
Old 03-24-2016, 07:27 AM   #12

Jim, we are over nighting at 1000 Springs RV resort just south of Hagerman on the Snake River. It has the indoor pool and hot tubs! It's still cool here, about 50 degrees today with a low around freezing, so my wife and I will enjoy them.

I'll get a couple of pics uploaded before we take off, but it's still dark! I cut the ends of both battery boxes just where the corners begin. I'd use a hand saw or electric skill saw which I think might give a smoother cut and look. I used some metal shears and it looks nice, but it was hard work cutting an inch at a time. I'd think a saw would be much easier. I cut the lid and the boxes both with this. Then I just taped them (battery lids and battery boxes) end-to-end. I taped both the exterior and interior of the lids and boxes. It went quite easy, actually. The completed box fits snugly into the battery frame perfectly. You might measure before you begin to be sure you get them small enough to fit in there, yet long enough to fit both batteries. The lid snaps on, just like the lids did on the smaller battery box as well as the tie down straps. Let me know how it goes. Happy DIYing!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 PM   #13

Jim, here are my photos of my battery box re-make. I simply cut the ends off of the two black plastic single battery boxes and the ends of the two lids and gorilla taped them together on both sides. They fit snugly, are water tight and I think look decent. Know I have the assurance of a bit more battery life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160324_071348248.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	102758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160324_071357067(1).jpg
Views:	258
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	102759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160324_071407011_HDR(1).jpg
Views:	1212
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	102760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160324_071424274_HDR.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	102761  

Old 03-25-2016, 12:46 AM   #14

HI here is a century battery box that may work.
Century Plastics: White Heavy Duty Battery Box - (part#: GCE-G)

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #15
Explore

Tim: Really appreciate your help. I looked at all the Century Plastics battery boxes from your link with no luck. Century does have a nice box for dual 6 volt batteries but it won't fit my dual 12 volt batteries. But a good try and thank you for sending the link.

-My two Group 27 batteries are 25-1/4" long end to end.
-My 195BH modified battery tray is 8-1/2" W x 26" L. It will now accept my two batteries but not the two boxes.
-The two NOCO battery boxes (before cutting) are 30" long.

Gary has found the better solution, to cut and gorilla tape his two Group 24 boxes to fit the battery tray on his larger trailer.

Gary: First, you all must really be enjoying those hot pools at 1000 Springs with your trailer's maiden voyage. Wife and I are jealous. I use to go there as a boy when I lived in Twin Falls. Will have to stop there when our ID trips take us up that way. Have a wonderful time at 1000 Springs with your new trailer.

Your photos are fantastic. I can see clearly how you cut the ends and tops of your Group 24 boxes. The photos and your detailed instructions will help me greatly.

I'll post some photos in April when the job is done.

Jim

Tags
battery