Old 12-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

dual battery box

The Cruise Lite 261 came with only a single battery and box. My trade in had dual batteries and boxes side by side. I kept the 2nd battery from my trade it and just assumed the two batteries and boxes would fit on the tongue of the Cruise Lite...wrong! There is insufficient space for two of them side by side.

I want to have two batteries and boxes on the tongue like the trade in TT had. Has anyone found a reasonably priced (less than $100) dual battery box (plastic or otherwise) for this purpose? I'm thinking about cutting the two ends off of my two single battery boxes and joining them together somehow. I'm also considering installing a disconnect switch on top of the battery box to keep them from draining the power. Any comments and or suggestions would be appreciated.

2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team

I ran into a space issue on my Cruise Lite too. After pondering about it for a year I finally decided to have the WD saddles welded on so that two boxes would fit. I went into this decision knowing that it would void the warranty on that area of the frame. I know that the guy cut the handles off the ends on one side of the boxes.

I had a disconnect switch installed that is located close to the battery but on the TT. This is a push/pull knob.

Will check pictures when I get home to see if any would be helpful.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
OLD DLR

Two small batt boxes and batts work ! Easy and disconnect switch works! Just did it! It works but more than $100
Old 03-19-2016, 12:27 AM   #4

I decided to cut the ends out of both black plastic battery boxes and lids and connect them back together with gorilla tape. (there was more than enough room for the 2 12volt batteries end to end after doing this) I did it and it works fine. I appears to be totally water proof and is solid as can be with very little room to wiggle in the tongue of the TT.

I also had the disconnect switch installed by the dealer and it works great and saves my batteries from discharging.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Never Stop Exploring

Gary -> I just modified (reinforced) the battery tray in our 195BH and it will now accept two Group 27 batteries for dry camping. My two boxes don't fit the tray so I plan to do the same cuts and gorilla tape - THANK YOU. I had no luck trying to find two smaller 27 boxes or a single box for dual 27s.

Curious: Are your two batteries 27's?
Old 03-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #6

Yes, I believe mine are 27's.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
Never Stop Exploring

Thank you. Got my Gorilla tape today and ready to do surgery on my two battery boxes.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
Thank you. Got my Gorilla tape today and ready to do surgery on my two battery boxes.

I'd like to see photos and details. I have the same TT and want to upgrade to dual batteries. Sounds like you do a lot of dry camping, what else have you done to the 195bh for that?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:55 AM   #9
Never Stop Exploring

Go to my thread "2016 Cruise Lite 195BH". I keep most of the information on our 195BH in this thread (a good reference too). Recently posted there some photos of our dual battery tray modification and change to dual propane tanks. Lots of good info there.

When I get the two Group 27 battery boxes cut/taped I'll post some photos to the above thread.

Yes, we plan to do more dry camping this year so getting our new trailer ready to be more self contained.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #10

Can't wait to see your photos! I'm heading out first thing in the Morning for a beautiful RV park on the Snake River close to Twin Falls. It's our maiden run so pretty excited. Bought the trailer in November and have been 'feathering our nest' this whole time with some upgrades and makin it home. I just sanitized the tanks and tried out all the water connections and they seem fine. The water pump is so quiet hardly know it running. I should take a photo of my double battery box. Maybe I will tomorrow and let you see what mine looks like.

Tags
battery