Old 07-24-2016, 08:28 AM   #1
Electric brake trouble

Just had my brake wiring burn up. It could have started a fire. Wiring melted thru plastic on bottom of of of trailer. Also burnt wiring and melted brake away switch when I pulled the cable. Damaged my brake controller. The problem I found was where they routed the wire thru the axle tube the rubber groument was missing. Wire shorted to axle ground. The wire +12 volt when brake was applied was a direct short. Could have been a serious fire on my TT. Will send pictures later of wires and burnt plastic. Check your Brake wiring going thru axle. Could save you many problems.

rrcomand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #2
I can relate to what you are saying. In doing my stem to stern, top to bottom inspection this spring, I found that the hard grommet that would have isolated the brake wire from the brake backing plate was never installed. The grommet was just left hanging on the wire and the wire was routed through the on the metal backing plate. It was kind of a bugger to get worked into position on the backing plate. Would have been your issue waiting to happen.
At that same time, I made a proactive repair. I added a fair amount of the split corrugated plastic wire loom to many wires that not only were unprotected, but went over and around frame gussets, sheet metal and what eventually would wear through the wire insulation and short out. There was a lot of hasty work at FR done securing, routing and protecting the wiring. No harm, no foul... a few bucks worth of tubing, tie wraps and a few hours of effort probably saved me grief down the road

2016 Flagstaff 27VRL Emerald
14K Equalizer
2014 GMC 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Did an top to bottom inspection but missed this.

Yes I did a top to bottom but missed this. My rig has about 8,000 miles on it. did an top to bottom inspection. Even pulled drums and inspected brakes. My brake wiring was routed thru the axle (tube) the feed thru plastic/rubber apparently was brittle and cracked. Looks as if they used #18 awg. Will rewire with #14 awg from plug to brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	115213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	115214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665.JPG
Views:	26