Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
If you've ever had a house built, you may remember that, in addition to any remaining punch list items, the builder also gave you a one year builder's warranty to cover any items that may not be up to par.

RV's are really no different except that, as they bounce along the highways and byways, things come loose and so forth. Plus there's the learning curve of owning new RV and exercising all the systems properly.

I'm on my second Forest River fifth wheel and have never a problem that didn't have a relatively simple fix or was attributable to operator error

Work your way thru the first couple of outings, get familiar with the way the systems are supposed to work (these forums are a great learning tool) and consult with you dealer on the stuff that is warranty work. You chose a dealer that was some distance away instead of working with one nearby, so the travel time is what it is

Breathe deeply and carry on
Thank you very good advice.

The reason I bought this from a non local dealer was because the had the model I wanted in stock, But knowing what I know now I might have been better off waiting for one local.
2016 nights camped so far 120
Craigban157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Respectively I think stove and furnace issue is user error upon not receiving a complete and informative pdi.

Water pump and cd player may be a little different, either way we'll get you going "we almost always" do

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigban157 View Post
I did ask about the 2nd year warranty, but was told they no longer offer it.

I'd find a new dealer to work with.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I totally agree!

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Respectively I think stove and furnace issue is user error upon not receiving a complete and informative pdi.

Water pump and cd player may be a little different, either way we'll get you going "we almost always" do

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
LOL, you could be right. I might have been a little harsh in my original post title. The CD player is not a big deal, the water pump is easy to get to and replace if needed. The oven doesn't really get used much and can wait until I can get it back to the dealer or figure it out myself. The furnace is the big issue, it still get cold at night here in Maine, it would be real nice to have that working.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #26
Site Team

Craig, since these forums are really for the DIY type, you can tell that's the advice you are receiving.

As far as the furnace, do you have a digital thermostat that has zones and such? The reason I ask is this can often times be one simple fix here.

We are all going to try and make you a happy camper.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Craig, since these forums are really for the DIY type, you can tell that's the advice you are receiving.

As far as the furnace, do you have a digital thermostat that has zones and such? The reason I ask is this can often times be one simple fix here.

We are all going to try and make you a happy camper.
Yes it is digital, Dometic, it has a fan/cool/furnace button on the left, and mode/off/ on on the bottom
Old 06-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I totally agree!

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
X3 - and BTW, unless something has changed in the last 6 months, Forest River allows you to purchase a second year of Coach Net at a discount (seems some dealers do not know this though).

Also, in Year 3-on, you can contact Coach Net direct for a basic-comprehensive Coach-Net plan. From what I have seen, their rates are reasonable.

I think you have been misled by your dealer and I am sorry that has happened. You should have had a complete pre-delivery inspection with a technician from the dealership before you drove your unit off the lot.

Oh well...like TURBS said, among the folks on the forums, we should be able to get you going for the camping season.

OC makes a good point, if you take your unit back now (June) good luck seeing in before the Maine camping season is over. One of the best things you can do to help everyone out is post photos of the problem areas (esp the water pump leaking)

For now, if you have a good deal of water leakage on the flooring around the water pump, we will want to get that mopped up and dried as soon as possible. If you have a small space heater with a fan that can be safely used around this flooring, this will speed drying (please do not leave it unmonitored though.)

Ask away, we are here to help!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigban157 View Post
Yes it is digital, Dometic, it has a fan/cool/furnace button on the left, and mode/off/ on on the bottom
Humor me and check the circuit breakers and fuse panel...
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X3 - and BTW, unless something has changed in the last 6 months, Forest River allows you to purchase a second year of Coach Net at a discount (seems some dealers do not know this though).

Also, in Year 3-on, you can contact Coach Net direct for a basic-comprehensive Coach-Net plan. From what I have seen, their rates are reasonable.

I think you have been misled by your dealer and I am sorry that has happened. You should have had a complete pre-delivery inspection with a technician from the dealership before you drove your unit off the lot.

Oh well...like TURBS said, among the folks on the forums, we should be able to get you going for the camping season.

OC makes a good point, if you take your unit back now (June) good luck seeing in before the Maine camping season is over. One of the best things you can do to help everyone out is post photos of the problem areas (esp the water pump leaking)

For now, if you have a good deal of water leakage on the flooring around the water pump, we will want to get that mopped up and dried as soon as possible. If you have a small space heater with a fan that can be safely used around this flooring, this will speed drying (please do not leave it unmonitored though.)

Ask away, we are here to help!
Thanks Guys, good advice. I going to make some call about the warranty.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Humor me and check the circuit breakers and fuse panel...
I did check the fuse, it is good. Just for my FYI if the fuse was bad would the blower still come on?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #32

Sounds like my first six months. Broken Suburban furnace and more stuff. My water pump kept cycling on for a fraction of a second until I discovered where a worker put a screw through a hot water line. Unit's going in this week for its second set of repairs. I'm sure they'll have it again for three or more weeks.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
PDI by customer, sorry you are having such problem but lay the blame mostly on the selling dealer for not doing the PDI where most of these issues would have been caught by a real dealer.
Thanks, you are correct. If I had known them what I know now from this forum I might not be having these problems, I guess I have myself to blame also.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #34

So let's focus on the furnace for a second.

The blower comes on, so it's not a fuse, but only stays on for ~ 30 seconds. How's the temperature in the RV when you're turning the furnace on? Is it close to the temperature set on the thermostat?

While I'm not intimately familiar with your model, I have an idea - - if the temperature is close to the set point on the thermostat, is it possible that there's a heater vent blowing on the thermostat? I know in my unit the furnace blows HOT air, and if its close to the thermostat it could be tricking the thermostat in to thinking the unit is warm enough.

What happens if you raise the temp on the thermostat to encourage the heater to stay on longer?

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
So let's focus on the furnace for a second.

The blower comes on, so it's not a fuse, but only stays on for ~ 30 seconds. How's the temperature in the RV when you're turning the furnace on? Is it close to the temperature set on the thermostat?

While I'm not intimately familiar with your model, I have an idea - - if the temperature is close to the set point on the thermostat, is it possible that there's a heater vent blowing on the thermostat? I know in my unit the furnace blows HOT air, and if its close to the thermostat it could be tricking the thermostat in to thinking the unit is warm enough.

What happens if you raise the temp on the thermostat to encourage the heater to stay on longer?
I should given more details. The blower comes, but the furnace does not light, I do not smell any propane and I do not hear any clicking like the pilot is trying to light. I have turned the thermostat up to 90 to over come the inside temp.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #36
Site Team

If you shut off the propane and do not turn the thermostat down, it may call for heat but will not start as propane is off. If this happens, you need to shut furnace off ( not just down) and give it a few minutes then try again. Usually this will reset it. On the general subject of quality/warranty, I buy from the lowest priced dealer and assume that most if not all issues will not be covered or I am not willing to give up s summer of using my RV waiting for the warranty game so I fix it myself or pay a reliable local RV service center to fix it. Over the years this has resulted in a positive cash balance and experience and little or no downtime.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #37

Campers helping campers-I love it. This truly is one big family.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #38

Can you access the back of the furnace to see if the ignition wire is attached?

I don't recall if there is a valve on the furnace that can be turned to allow the flow of propane or not (like the refrigerator), if so, is it on?

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #39
Somewhat right of center

As for buying another PT product again, jury is still out.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #40

Don't know about yours, but some ovens do not have pilots & must be manually lit every time. Good luck & take advantage of all the knowledge you will find here; they sure have helped me a lot.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river