Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
Don't know about yours, but some ovens do not have pilots & must be manually lit every time. Good luck & take advantage of all the knowledge you will find here; they sure have helped me a lot.[emoji106]
Has to have a pilot no?
Never seen a oven without a pilot on a 5th wheel or tt.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you shut off the propane and do not turn the thermostat down, it may call for heat but will not start as propane is off. If this happens, you need to shut furnace off ( not just down) and give it a few minutes then try again. Usually this will reset it. On the general subject of quality/warranty, I buy from the lowest priced dealer and assume that most if not all issues will not be covered or I am not willing to give up s summer of using my RV waiting for the warranty game so I fix it myself or pay a reliable local RV service center to fix it. Over the years this has resulted in a positive cash balance and experience and little or no downtime.
Thanks for the tip, I will try this.
2016 nights camped so far 120
Craigban157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
Can you access the back of the furnace to see if the ignition wire is attached?

I don't recall if there is a valve on the furnace that can be turned to allow the flow of propane or not (like the refrigerator), if so, is it on?
There is no outside access to the furnace, only the intake and exhaust. I have to remove the couch to get to the furnace. I don't see any valve, it look like it is piped direct from the propane tanks
Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigban157 View Post
I did check the fuse, it is good. Just for my FYI if the fuse was bad would the blower still come on?
Probably not...I am just trying to be methodological in figuring out your furnace problems.

I'm with Flyboy, time to check the furnace and make sure something was not switched off or turned off at the factory/dealership.

I would think the igniter would work off the electricity though even if there was no propane flow.

TURBS & OC, ya'll are whizzes at this - any idea?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Has to have a pilot no?
Never seen a oven without a pilot on a 5th wheel or tt.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
Yes, it has a pilot. the oven does not have a sparked like the stovetop, it has to be lit for the oven to work according to the manual.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Yes, it has a pilot. the oven does not have a sparked like the stovetop, it has to be lit for the oven to work according to the manual.
Get the model number from furnace. ....
I know I know behind the couch.
Suburban has a really good diagnostic trouble shooting guide on there website.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
Campers helping campers-I love it. This truly is one big family.
yes it is, not feeling so down about my first RV purchase now after reading this forum, I guess other have as many or bigger problems than I do.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #48

Quote:
Furnace will lock out after 3-4 try then you'll have to shut it down and try again. I think you need to work out the air.

Quote:
Get the model number from furnace. ....
I know I know behind the couch.
Both of these, it sounds like the it starts (the furnace) to light, the blower comes on and blows air across the coupler this causes the relay to let gas come in and calls for spark, so I assume there is something wrong with the back end of the process. No gas being sensed so it fails to spark, then after trying 3-4 times it goes to lock out mode and needs to be reset......

For the stove not lighting you may need to re-adjust the thermocoupler. There have been a few posts relating to this issue lately, some just tweak it and make sure it lines up with the flame. For the pilot light (lighting the pilot) you have to push the knob in to light the pilot, and you light the pilot with a stick lighter.

Hope this helps, we will try and get you going so you dont have to spend so much time at the dealer waiting, consider what I said though and see if the dealer can order parts while you keep the trailer and somewhat enjoy it, obviously the first things you will want to do ASAP (water pump and furnace).

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #49
Site Team

Have someone outside the Furnace access panel, You should be able to hear the igniter clicking trying to ignite the propane. If no clicking, try the reset procedure.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:

TURBS
Or our library here on FRF. We try to keep a copy of most common things.

Forest River Forums - Downloads

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
Both of these, it sounds like the it starts (the furnace) to light, the blower comes on and blows air across the coupler this causes the relay to let gas come in and calls for spark, so I assume there is something wrong with the back end of the process. No gas being sensed so it fails to spark, then after trying 3-4 times it goes to lock out mode and needs to be reset......

For the stove not lighting you may need to re-adjust the thermocoupler. There have been a few posts relating to this issue lately, some just tweak it and make sure it lines up with the flame. For the pilot light (lighting the pilot) you have to push the knob in to light the pilot, and you light the pilot with a stick lighter.

Hope this helps, we will try and get you going so you dont have to spend so much time at the dealer waiting, consider what I said though and see if the dealer can order parts while you keep the trailer and somewhat enjoy it, obviously the first things you will want to do ASAP (water pump and furnace).
Bingo on the oven, I was just turning the knob to pilot and not pushing it in when trying to light it. The furnace model is SF-Q, I will check the suburban web site for the trouble shoot, I can't expect you guys to do all the work for me. But I will take any help you guys are willing to offer to get things working.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #52
Cyber Phrenologist

I, too, have bought my first and last Forest River product.

When I have finally finished wearing it out, I'll probably be too old to camp much anymore, and very likely not financially able to buy a new one.

So I'll just make what I have, last. Every time I go to a State Park some old guy comes in with a 1970's vintage "Terry Resort" or "Spinter" TT. His truck is the same vintage as his camper. The only thing new are the grandkids and their bikes. That's probably the same camper he took their parents out in years ago when it was new.

If that old guy can get that much time out of a stick and tin trailer, I'm sure my Rockwood is the only camper I will ever need. Yes it has issues. But it's issues are the same as any other RV. It seems it has fewer issues than some, some of which cost much more than mine did. Sometimes they get the best of my patience, but I generally get over it and get things fixed.

I'm going to make this trailer last a long, long time. It is the first, and last, I will ever own.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #53

The first time I used my furnace after a long period of non use I had to turn it on and let it go through its three attempts at lighting at least 7 or 8 times to purge all of the air out.
I thought it wasn't going to work but it eventually did.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Samaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #54

You are probably correct on the pilot light Turbs, just a thought. I did have a 2008 Model Salem that had no pilot; had to be lit every time. I'm sure things have progressed beyond that now.
If all you folks keep helping Craigban157, he won't even need his dealer for repairs. Keep up the good work!! You are all great.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You have a decision to make then, swallow the fact that either you fix it and go camping this summer or take it to the dealer and sit home and brood about it being under warranty and having to miss a summer camping. JMO
You are right about making a decision, I decided to try an fix things myself and use it for the summer, what I can't fix I can take to the dealer in the fall for warranty. Thank You.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #56

I've fixed a few things and am building my list for when I can stand to be without it for a bit.

My slide quit working and I called into my dealer for an appointment...SIX WEEKS out they tell me! Geez... I continued to troubleshoot and figured it out. Otherwise, I'd have lost my first spring camping.

Hang in there. After the first round of fixes, you'll likely use it for years without trouble.

BTW, I did the same thing with my oven pilot light. I was on my knees and cursing the dealer...then I discovered that it presses inward.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #57
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
You are right about making a decision, I decided to try an fix things myself and use it for the summer, what I can't fix I can take to the dealer in the fall for warranty. Thank You.
There you go!

My trailer is 8 years old and the furnace has NEVER worked quite right. Big deal. I went to electric heaters and saved a bundle on propane. If it's above freezing, I'm good.

Someday I'll get that furnace fixed. Right now I'm going camping.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
I've fixed a few things and am building my list for when I can stand to be without it for a bit.

My slide quit working and I called into my dealer for an appointment...SIX WEEKS out they tell me! Geez... I continued to troubleshoot and figured it out. Otherwise, I'd have lost my first spring camping.

Hang in there. After the first round of fixes, you'll likely use it for years without trouble.

BTW, I did the same thing with my oven pilot light. I was on my knees and cursing the dealer...then I discovered that it presses inward.
LMAO, I went thru a new Bic lighter trying to get mine to light, Thanks to someone on here telling me the right way to do it, it works fine. Still working on the furnace but with all the great help from here I am sure I can get it to work.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
There you go!

My trailer is 8 years old and the furnace has NEVER worked quite right. Big deal. I went to electric heaters and saved a bundle on propane. If it's above freezing, I'm good.

Someday I'll get that furnace fixed. Right now I'm going camping.
Good idea, I can use electric heat until I get the furnace fixed, thanks.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #60
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Good idea, I can use electric heat until I get the furnace fixed, thanks.
I do. I carry a heavy extension cord and run it out through a slide seal to the pedestal and run the heater with that. The trailer breakers will handle the heater fine. But they won't handle the heater AND the coffee maker!

Tags
forest river