Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Happy Camper

First time camping with no hookups

I am a fairly seasoned camper. However this weekend I am camping for the first time with no hookups. Any tips or suggestions? I know I will have to watch my battery level. I will have a generator for occasional use. The other thing is I will need to fill up my water tank for the first time. Usually we just hook up to a water hose. At least the weather should be mild I will be close to Birmingham Alabama.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Depending on your fridge model, you -might- have a "environmental" heater
in your fridge. If you do, it's job is to warm that little strip of metal
that's between the freezer and fresh food doors to keep it from gathering
condensation.
The problem is that heater is a battery HOG. Some have a switch to
shut off the heater.
Others of us have disconnected the heater just so we can camp off
the grid and not have dead batteries in a day or 2.
There has been much discussion here about this heater.
I disconnected mine and we never miss it, off the grid or on.
IF all your camping was in Florida you might need it. Me, not so much...
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
CP3

Make sure you're very conservative with your water usage. I don't know the size of your tank but my wife and daughters managed to go thru 46 gallons in two days our first time out, after I repeatedly warned them about it. Now that we have some experience with it, we can go 4-5 before running out.
CP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

Off the grid can provide some great camping with little or no inconvenience from what you are used to. Start out with empty waste tanks, at home put 3-5 gals down your back tank so you don't waste your on board water. Fill potable water full, ensure propane is full, turn lights off when not in use, use paper plates. No need to shower every day.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

First time camping with no hookups

Full fresh water tank full propane full batteries. If your worried about water go to Walmart and buy some of the portable water totes found in the camping section. We bought two six gallon cans. Extra 12 gallons will go a long way. Make sure your hot water tank is full also so you don't have to use six gallons to fill it when you get there. You'll be fine just learn to be conservative with everything and all will go well.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Site Team

Our essential items for dry camping or boondocking:

Generator
Tote tank for gray water
Dual battery setup
6 gallon water jug
400w inverter
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
I am a fairly seasoned camper. However this weekend I am camping for the first time with no hookups. Any tips or suggestions? I know I will have to watch my battery level. I will have a generator for occasional use. The other thing is I will need to fill up my water tank for the first time. Usually we just hook up to a water hose. At least the weather should be mild I will be close to Birmingham Alabama.
You may want to check your distilled battery water to make sure they are full.
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #8

I would add: use a voltage meter to accurately measure the health of your batteries. I installed a permanent meter next to my switches for easy reading.

---------------
Ram2500 diesel, 4x4, 6 speed manual tranny
FR251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
jkoenig24

When was the last time you SANITIZED your water system?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:26 PM   #10

As a long-time and avid boondocker (dry camper) I will tell you the responses you've received are excellent. Because I boondock a lot I also carry a portable jump starter (charges at home on AC) just in case. I've never had to use it for myself but have made more than one stranger happy that I had one.

If you find you enjoy it, and believe me, it is much more relaxing than an RV park or campground you should consider solar. Mine keeps my batteries at full charge all day and gives me adequate reserve to run the propane furnace on those cold nights in some of the places we camp.

You just made me want to jump in the RV and take off for a week! Enjoy.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
When was the last time you SANITIZED your water system?
Me? Yesterday. Did the HWH as well. White vinegar and water
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Me? Yesterday. Did the HWH as well. White vinegar and water
I'm not sure white vinegar will actually sanitize your tanks. I use white vinegar to remove the chlorine taste after santization.

Here are my procedures based on US Public Health Service sanitizing procedure that are in conformance with the approved procedures if RVIA and ANSI A119.2 and the U.S. Public Health Service.

The ounces and gallon references are based on my tank sizes. For your tanks: "Use one of the following methods to determine the amount of common household bleach needed to sanitize the tank:

Multiply “gallons of tank capacity” by .13; the result is the ounces of bleach needed to sanitize the tank.

The standard solution must have four (4) hours of contact time to disinfect completely. Doubling the solution concentration allows for contact time of one (1) hour"

1. Remove In-line Water Filter
2. Drain the Hot water tank, flush with city water running
3. Replace hot water tank cap
4. Add some fresh water to tank
5. 6 Oz of Bleach; 12 Oz will reduce wait time to one hour (41 gal Fresh Water + 6 gal hot water=47 gal x .13=6 oz or 12 oz for one hour
6. Fill Fresh Water tank
7. Turn on water pump
8. Turn on hot water faucet until hot water tank is full (pump will stop)
9. Add 6 gallons of water to replace water in hot water tank
10. Turn on hot water faucet until air bleeds out and smell bleach. Turn off hot water faucet and turn on cold faucet until smell bleach.
11. Let sit for 4 hours; 1 hour if used 12 Oz of bleach
12. Open all faucets hot and cold and pump out water. Pump is 2.8gpm so should empty in about 15 minutes.
13. Add one Gallon of white vinegar and fill tank
14. Turn on all hot and cold faucets; let run until dry.
15. Install Water Filter (new every 12 months); flush with about 40 gallons of water
16. Add Fresh water as needed

lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #13

Our favorite place to park for the last 15-20 years has been Assateague Island National Seashore, in Maryland. No hookups. We usually stay for the last 2-3 weeks of their reservation season.

Their are no hookups but there are dump and fresh water stations in each camping area. So, we bring a portable generator to charge things during the day (no generators allowed after about 10 p.m.) and a way to cart off waste water and bring in fresh water.

The waste tank at Thetford SmartTote2 LX 4-Wheel Portable Waste Tank, 35 Gallon - Thetford 40519 - Holding Tanks - Camping World works well for us. It comes in several sizes, depending on the strength of your back. I use the 35 gallon model.

The folding fresh water tank at Portable RV Fresh Water Tank: 45 Gallon - New World CW1605 - Fresh Water Tanks - Camping World works well for me.

Jerry
2011 Cardinal fiver
2012 Ford F250 4WD Diesel
JerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

Excellent advice all. We often camp at campgrounds with limited or no services, but some have water bibs within less than 100 feet of your site. We can usually avoid the added weight of carrying full fresh water tanks by bringing extra hoses and hooking up once we get to our site.

Also, I would recommend a generator such as Honda which operates as an inverter and is ultra-quiet. We've been using hours for 20+ years with zero complaints from ouir camping neighbors.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #15

Siphon

Take a couple of jugs of extra water, and a hose to siphon them into your fresh water tank. I can't believe how long it takes 5 gallons of water to empty when you're holding it up against the side of the trailer. I set mine on the tailgate or on a step ladder and let it siphon into the trailer. My sister-in-law practically emptied our water tank with one shower. I carry lots (30 gal.) of extra water.

I always sanitize my tank at the beginning of the season. About 1/2 cup of Clorox for 30 gallons, run all faucets, let sit overnight, fill and flush twice.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacamastraveler View Post
I'm not sure white vinegar will actually sanitize your tanks. I use white vinegar to remove the chlorine taste after santization.

Here are my procedures based on US Public Health Service sanitizing procedure that are in conformance with the approved procedures if RVIA and ANSI A119.2 and the U.S. Public Health Service.

The ounces and gallon references are based on my tank sizes. For your tanks: "Use one of the following methods to determine the amount of common household bleach needed to sanitize the tank:

Multiply “gallons of tank capacity” by .13; the result is the ounces of bleach needed to sanitize the tank.

The standard solution must have four (4) hours of contact time to disinfect completely. Doubling the solution concentration allows for contact time of one (1) hour"

1. Remove In-line Water Filter
2. Drain the Hot water tank, flush with city water running
3. Replace hot water tank cap
4. Add some fresh water to tank
5. 6 Oz of Bleach; 12 Oz will reduce wait time to one hour (41 gal Fresh Water + 6 gal hot water=47 gal x .13=6 oz or 12 oz for one hour
6. Fill Fresh Water tank
7. Turn on water pump
8. Turn on hot water faucet until hot water tank is full (pump will stop)
9. Add 6 gallons of water to replace water in hot water tank
10. Turn on hot water faucet until air bleeds out and smell bleach. Turn off hot water faucet and turn on cold faucet until smell bleach.
11. Let sit for 4 hours; 1 hour if used 12 Oz of bleach
12. Open all faucets hot and cold and pump out water. Pump is 2.8gpm so should empty in about 15 minutes.
13. Add one Gallon of white vinegar and fill tank
14. Turn on all hot and cold faucets; let run until dry.
15. Install Water Filter (new every 12 months); flush with about 40 gallons of water
16. Add Fresh water as needed

Isn't bleach a known carcinogen?
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Isn't bleach a known carcinogen?
Everything on Earth is a known carcinogen. That's why I quit paying attention to that kind of info
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:59 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
As far as sanitizing the water system. We only use municipal treated water, There is enough chlorine in it to kill anything. I sanitized when I first bought the trailer and that was it. I do run some bleach through my water softener after winter storage though.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #19

NO HOOKUPS? THATS LIKE STAYING AT A MOTEL WITH NO POOL AND b&w TV
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #20
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

To help out with water use, we bring a 5 gal carbouy of "home" water for drinking, use the fresh water tank for other uses.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, first time