Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

First time set up of water heater

We bought our first TT last month and can't wait to use it now that it's warming up! I've flushed all the anti-freeze out, charged the battery, got the furnace going...but I can not remember how to get the hot water heater going...

I remember the tech at the dealer showing me something about screwing some long rod into the water heater before I light it??

There is also no pilot, on/off position, just two black, rubber buttons that say "reset" or something. Does anyone have the same set up?

Thanks!
Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Site Team

See if this helps, as your questions is common, since dealers fail to properly explain the Suburban water heater during the initial PDI:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

The rod is an anode rod. You remove this rod to drain the Suburban brand water heaters. You must make sure it is reinstalled/tightened prior to filling the water heater.

Also pay close attention the the bypass/crossover valves proper handle positions in post #3 of the link above.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #3

I see wmtire beat me to it. The long rod is an anode rod. It fits into the bottom of you HW tank, on the outside of your trailer. If you have the plug in now, take it out to make sure you have an anode rod and to drain possible anti freeze in it. If the pink stuff is in there, you should flush out the tank real good. There really shouldn't be any anti freeze in there if it was drained properly. Now if the anode rod is there, screw it back in fairly tight. Don't overdo it. Fill it up with water. You should have a rocker switch at your control panel that you turn on to light the HW heater, making sure the propane is turned on. It might take a bit for the air in the line to be forced out by the propane. Be patient. It might turn red when you turn it on and may blink a few times. You might even hear a clicking noise, which is the heater trying to light. Just make sure you have water in the tank before you try the electric side of the tank or you will burn out the electric heater in a matter of seconds.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Site Team

This video may help you in the anode rod understanding/installation/removal

Hopefully all of your other questions are answered in the previous link posted.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, heater, water, water heater