Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

First time TT owner 171rbxm

We are first time TT owners ... Well almost. We pick it up this Thursday. We plan on taking it on its maiden voyage over Labor Day weekend to a local camp ground. I am a little perplexed as to why there are very few posts related to the 171rb. Could it be that it is just that good ?

Seriously... We are just looking for tips for our first time ... Things to watch for or do on our shakedown.

Thank you in advance !!!

Allan
alarge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Explore

Welcome to this forum and congratulation on your new trailer.

There is a lot of information that will be covered during your walk through. Suggest you have another person video tape it. My wife used her iPhone video feature and I took notes. This worked out great for us to refer back to the video. Take your time and ask lots of questions when unsure about anything.

Be sure you are connected to shore power and turn on all appliances. Have them fill your fresh and water heater tanks the day before your inspection. Also the city water inlet is connected by their hose the day of your inspection. Check plumbing under sink for water leaks and under trailer for leaks. Check there is hot water delivery to your sink and shower. If you have a spare tire, check to be sure it is the same tire and wheel size as your trailer tires/wheels (our spare was not the same).

Enjoy and with your new trailer.
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #3

Thanks Camp4Two .... I had planned on using my gopro to record the walk through with my wife as my backup. She's pretty good at remembering things better than me !

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
2017 Ford F250 XLT 4x2 6.2L 3.73
Old 08-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #4
Explore

Your welcome. Good luck with your walk through today. Please share any issues you find with your new trailer.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
I go RV'ing not Camping

Just really take your time with the walk thru...Don't let them rush you out of there. Make sure everything works, use every item/machine in the trailer. If they try to rush you tell them to pound sand, and definitely don't give them any money till you are 100% happy with everything on the trailer.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #6

Congratulations! Enjoy the trailer and camping!

Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

walk through

Make sure to light all gas app.. Got our MH home and had a sticky regulator.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

You are already ahead of the game by taking a shakedown trip. In addition to finding issues with your new TT, it will help you refine the list of stuff you need to bring with you, and the list of stuff that you brought and don't need. Part of the adventure of RVing is dealing with the unexpected, follow the Boy Scout motto and "Be Prepared". Also, don't be shy about asking fellow RVers about anything you're unsure of. In general, we are a helpful bunch, very willing to lend a hand. Best of luck with your new TT.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #9

I agree with those B4 me...make them take their time in going over all points of your new RV. We had to pay$$$ first before our run-through.
rhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #10

Congratulations on your new travel trailer! Enjoy!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarge1 View Post
We are first time TT owners ... Well almost. We pick it up this Thursday. We plan on taking it on its maiden voyage over Labor Day weekend to a local camp ground. I am a little perplexed as to why there are very few posts related to the 171rb. Could it be that it is just that good ?

Seriously... We are just looking for tips for our first time ... Things to watch for or do on our shakedown.

Thank you in advance !!!

Allan
Congrats on your new TT. I think you may be referring to the 171RBXL. I am not seeing any 171RBXM units, unless it is this years newest addition to the Cruise-Lites, which is possible. There is also a Wildwood "sister" to this unit.

If you do have the 171RBXL, the reason you are not seeing much information on them is due to their being a NEW model production for 2016. They are mainly a couples TT. Perfect size for a couple with plenty of space, IMO. We also have one. Love it very much. Haven't found anything we dislike about it. Love the storage space. Plenty of it for whatever you have to carry. We are are still amazed at how much space we have still left over. And the BATHROOM..... perfect layout with plenty of room to move around in.

On our initial "shake-down" we didn't find any defects, or non-working items, which is always a plus. Everything works as it should with no problems. Seems to be a very well made TT. An easy tower as well.
A lot of little perks that came with this unit. We are still having fun experimenting, exploring and enjoying it. Especially with the outdoor built-in rope lighting, and its many colors. Which interior did you get? Ours is the Camel interior. I know they come in Camel and Onyx.

A suggestion would be to invest, if you haven't already, in a surge protector. This was a must for us before we even took it out on its maiden voyage. Like a new parent here protecting its young. Just extra protection for your newby.

As others said, do a thorough walk through, take notes, take it out on a maiden voyage, get the feel of it, explore, and if you need other input the forum is here at your disposal.

Most of all

( edit: before too long you too will be joining the "mod" squad! It's a disease. LOL)

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #12

For a first trip, make sure you have long enough power cord if needed with water hose. We plug-in and turn on fridge at home on electric before switching to gas for trip. Fly swatters and a simple volt-ohm meter will be good investments along with a first aid kit (to help others). Enjoy your new unit.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the advice. There was a typo in my Subject Heading -- our TT is a 171rbxl.

We did the walk through and I videoed the process so we will have a place to go back and reference. I am glad we did because I had already forgotten some things but my wife remembered !!! We had one issue during the walk through that was caused by the service guy shorting out the thermostat which they replaced before we left. Everything else seemed to be fine.

We brought it home from the dealer and spent the weekend checking it all out and getting to know the trailer. I sanitized the tanks even though they told us they had already done that. I just wanted to go through the process myself and for my own peace of mind.

The only thing I am concerned about was the fridge. Since we don't have a 30 amp receptacle at the house, I used an adapter given to me by the dealership to convert the 30 amp plug to connect to 15 amp outlet in the garage. I turned the fridge on (turn AUTO off to make sure it ran from electric and not propane) and it would never come on. I am not sure whether it was because it was I was plugged into a 15 amp source or if there is a problem with the fridge. It does work from propane as I verified that.

The A/C had no problem running from the 15 amp source.

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
Old 08-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
Which interior did you get? Ours is the Camel interior. I know they come in Camel and Onyx.

Most of all

( edit: before too long you too will be joining the "mod" squad! It's a disease. LOL)
BRIORICK -- ours is the "mineral" color .. which is basically a dark brown.

And I agree with you -- this TT is great for just us. Lot's of space in the bathroom. The wife would have liked a bigger kitchen area but we can make do just fine. Right now, we are loving it. This model seems perfect for us.

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
Old 08-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
Explore

Glad to hear your walk through went well. Your 15 amp house receptical should run your refrigerator fine. It takes 6-8 hours to cool your refigerator, longer than propane. Turn your Auto button to ON (light on), make sure your refrigerator is level, let it sit overnight and check it in the morning.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #16
Site Team

alarge, did you know it takes hours for fridge to cool down?
Most of us let it cool overnight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarge1 View Post
BRIORICK -- ours is the "mineral" color .. which is basically a dark brown.

And I agree with you -- this TT is great for just us. Lot's of space in the bathroom. The wife would have liked a bigger kitchen area but we can make do just fine. Right now, we are loving it. This model seems perfect for us.

Oops, my mistake. Yes, you are correct, it is "Mineral". Thanks for re-jogging my brain.

The kitchen area isn't too bad. I love that it has a full size dinette with wider bench seats. Lots of elbow room. The double fridge door is super nice, and very spacious as well. Another plus. A lot of great perks for a smaller unit. And I already stated, "I love the bathroom".

Leave your fridge on Auto when you plug it in. It will automatically use the AC when plugged in. And when using the LP push the "gas" button in ( turn off AUTO ). Make sure when you use the LP you have your battery installed / connected as well. The spark ignitor needs the battery to lite.

We first cooled our fridge down using LP to see how long it would actually take. It took roughly 4 hours and it was ready to go. This was definitely a plus, as our other TT generally took overnight plugged into the AC. You are going to love this unit.

Happy camping.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #18

I did leave the fridge on for 8+ hours and it didn't even cool down in the slightest. It was still as warm as when I first turned in on.

After that failed I turned it on AUTO and it reverted to using propane (I could hear the burner on outside) and within an hour it was already cooling down. So with that said, I am thinking there may be a problem with it running on electricity.

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
Old 08-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #19
Explore

Check your breaker for the refrigerator at your trailer's power distribution panel. Just maybe it might be in the off position.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #20

On most fridges auto automatically switches to electric when the RV is plugged into shore power. If you've done the checking suggestions offered above, you may have a faulty fridge.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time