Old 05-23-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
Thumbs down Forest River Quality

I recently purchased a 2015 Salem 261BHXL with the show stopper package. (Power awning, power tongue jack, power stabilizers, LED lights). I have had nothing but problems with my unit.

We first camped at the beginning of May and immediately I we found that our Water Pump was bad. (When hooked up to city water connection our fresh water tank was filling)

We started camping yesterday and now we have even more problems. Microwave has 2 screws that backed out and fell to the floor, speaker inside decided to fail. (Not a huge deal)

We went to move our camper to a new campsite (to be closer to family) and our rear stabilizers quit working. This is only the second times we have used the camper! The worst part is that they are stuck in the extended position. Our camper didn't come with a manual override ratchet to get them to come up. I had to crawl underneath the camper and with a set of channel lock pliers turn the nut 1/8 turn at time. Took me about 2 hours. We were so frustrated we decided to end the trip early and come home.

Why in the hell would you not have a manual override socket tool in case this happened. My wife already left a not so nice message to our dealer. (I understand that they don't build them). She won't take anything less than them refunding our money for our camping trip since we had to come early.

Anyone else have any of these issues?

A very unhappy Forest River Owner

hockeyzebra27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Very sorry for your troubles and early ended trip. Our old travel trailer didn't come with the manual wrench either. I think a 3/4" (or close to that) socket worked on ours, but I never tried. The water pump is an easy to replace item, and may not be forest rivers fault, as it is an item bought by them and installed. I empathize with you, our brand new Sabre fiver has a few minor issues and some bigger ones (leak in the fresh water tank) and will get these kinks worked out. Hate to miss camping trips, but try and be a bit patient and look at the long term. Fix things right, decide if it's worth it first, and look to happy times ahead. Good luck with your dealer. I hope they are able to repair these items quickly and get you back out there.
Happy Campin!!

Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
^^2 try to remember this is a house on wheels. Make the most out of each trip, being with family is what matters most.
palominoryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
We bought a 2013 Wildcat and FR DOES not come close to the quality of our old 2003 Alpenlite! Mostly small things but still just adds up to poor workmanship. Ie..leak at base of toilet....fuse for slide being located where it cannot be reached if the slide does not open..(dumb)...a few other small things ...but love, love the fireplace!
Charley Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
I feel your pain as our 2015 Wildcat is back at the dealer for repairs for second time. They had it 2 weeks the first time and have had it over 2 weeks with no end in sight. If you think your wife is pissed now wait until you try to get it in for repair. The fun is just beginning between getting it into dealer and they keep telling you they ordered parts that never seem to show. You will find this is normal with quality of build and dealer charging you for a PDI that is a joke. Most people on here will say YOU failed to do a proper PDI. So I wish you luck and just grin and bare it and watch your blood pressure as life is to short.
1967 Barracuda fastback
2015 Wildcat MK 333
2010 Ram 2500 Mega-cab
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
Site Team
I feel your pain but in the grand scheme these are relatively minor issues. My Sabre has had multiple slide failures, cracks in the shower, and a propane leak as well as close to 40 other issues. We bought it last July and most of these issues were apparent pretty quickly. We are still resolving some but for the most part everything is resolved. It took it being shipped back to the factory twice, multiple trips to the dealership and management involvement from both palomino/forest river and the dealership. I will tell you forest river cares and will stand behind their product. I can also say getting nasty will get you nowhere fast with this. A whole lot of patience and thank yous will go a long way. Be persistent but understanding. Also understand that these issues are industry wide and not just forest river. It doesn't excuse it but it is a sad fact.

As for your city water/fresh water issue it is probably a bad check valve, easily fixable. For the stab jacks it sounds like a blown fuse. We have learned to keep extra fuses of all necessary sizes in the trailer(learned this the hard way). I wish you luck.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Well said, 67cudafb and asquared!

Been camping in RV's for 44 years and still love it!
2015 FR Salem 27RLSS
2004 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Hemi
DAF44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #8
I have seen a difference in quality within Forest River. Some Forest River products are just better than others. Don't know why this is, but for sure it is. I do know FR has absorbed other brands into their line, but they have not necessarily improve the quality in them all; sad to say.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Some additional perspective.

My 3rd RV was a 1990 Volkswagen Westfalia camper. Talk about German engineering! The biggest headache was the A/C. The compressor was replaced twice under warranty and then a third time after warranty. The electrical wiring supplying the A/C almost burned the camper down if I had not caught it before it did. But I still loved my "Westy"
2015 FR Salem 27RLSS
2004 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Hemi
DAF44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
Couch Not Secured

We have owned our 2015 Salem 241QB for almost a year and have actually learned to like it after accepting the fact that it was poorly made - until today. In getting ready to take it out for the weekend, I laid the couch out to make sure it was working properly. I sat down on the edge and it about fell off the platform it was supposed to be attached to. Upon inspecting the bottom of it, I found only one screw was used to fasten the frame to the platform. The installer apparantly used a screw with too small of a head for the holes in the metal frame and had not screwed it tight. He/she didn't try to get the right screw and just left the remaining screws laying beside the frame.

For you that have continued to state this is normal workmanship in this type of industry, you must be willing to accept an vehicle that has only one bolt securing the drivers seat. I will keep this trailer until Fall and then gladly get rid of it never to purchase anything else from Forest River!

gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote

forest river, quality