Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

Forest River - Warranty Woes

We have owned our 2014 Hemisphere 366BH for approximately 3 months now. Have used it several times and will be taking it out again this weekend. Of the 3 months, it has been back at the dealer on 3 occassions to have warranty work done. I am very happy with our dealer, just wish FR wasn't so slow or busy to get the parts needed to make some of the repairs. Most of the items we need are 8 weeks or more just to get the parts. Luckily they are not anything that would keep us from using the camper. Here is a list of a few parts we are waiting on:

- New fridge panel. Dealer ordered this at time of delivery due to one panel being cracked.
- New driver side plastic fender. On the second outting, fender ripped off bolts holding it to the body.
- Missing air mattress. Dealer ended up taking one out another camper but we had been waiting for 6 weeks.

Just a little frustrated with warranty claims from FR. I hope they improve but don't hold my breath.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #2

I am going thru some of the same problems. Seems their workmanship has gone downhill. I have had more problems with my Heritage Glen in 9 months than I had with my 08 Sandpiper in 7 years. Seems no one hold them accountable. The RV industry is self regulated and I use that term loosely.
1SG(Ret) (1987) US Army Aviation

Days/Nights Camped 2016: 34
dogwood36322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
Krusing Since 1975

Send a message via Yahoo to skydoctor
FR Warranty (Extended)

In 2013 I purchased a 2014 37BH fifth wheel. After going thru the check list we saw everything working and signed the papers.We have been RV'ing for 40 years and broke a golden rule, try it out local first before the long trip.Within 3 days after purchase we decided to take a trip from Indiana to South Dakota. Along the way on the trip we had issues, microwave did not work, refrigerator would not hold temperature, two serving tables broke, trailer decals started to peel, support bracket on fiber glass wheel well came loose, water leak by docking station, and misc. cabinet and door problems.
How discouraged we were with the new camper. When we got back and took it to a dealer, they said they would take care of it but, only to sit at dealers for several months and to only replace my microwave without any other action of repair. I let the dealer know how I felt and ask for the FR DM for Cedar Cheek – Silverback. He readily gave me the number. I talked to The DM and explained the problem with the dealer. After having a conversation with him he gave me a number to call. Please understand, I made no threats only that I was very unhappy with my purchase and needed to be taken care of. I called the young lady in Topeka (Denise) and set up an appointment (warranty) to have items repaired. The appointment was set up 6 months in advance (you must be patient) and I took my RV in on the date. It was no big deal because it was 6 months in the future because it was going in winter storage. I had purchased the extended warranty for an additional year.
It took 2 months to resolve my issues at the factory but, the trailer is like new. Not only did they repair the items that I requested but, they went thru the entire RV to insure that no other problems exist. I was totally amazed at what they did. I read all the negative issues that we all have and give but, I thing if you have the time and patients, FR Cedar Creek – Silverback will take care of you.
I am sure some people will say bull, I expect that but, I got great service from FR Cedar Creek – Silverback. Denise said that I should give her name out and phone number. Remember this is for Cedar Creek & Silverback warranty only.Her name is Denise (she will be at the Goshen Rally representing Cedar Creek and Silverback) for repairs. Her telephone number is 260.593.3018 x2425.
skydoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #4

I agree with sky doctor. I had the same experience with Forest River warranty. To all those that say quality is bad, I ask you to hook your sticks and bricks up to a truck and tug it down the road. See what happens. When you want expansive floor plans and a towable weight you end up with light weight materials that will require repair and maintenance. If you don't want that, then go pick yourself up a couple million dollar coach. But for me, I expect what I paid for...lightweight, cheap stuff that looks nice and has new technology, but isn't going to hold up without maintenance and work.

In the end, those that are frustrated will become happy owners once their issues are solved. Takes patience.
jjvallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #5
Go Pack Go!!

My wife was signing some papers last Thursday for our new 4092BFL (which will not be ready for another couple weeks due to MFR defects). I will be signing the final papers when it is fixed and ready.

The finance gal for the RV dealer talked about a 5 year extended warranty for around $2,000.00. She did not have any paperwork for the additional 1 year warranty that FR offers.

I asked if there were any other warranties, and she said "no". I then mentioned something about another year on the FR warranty according to the MFR for around $150.00. She then said "Wait, yes there might be something, but it's not good at all as it doesn't cover windows, electronics, doors, and a whole bunch of other stuff." She then found and pulled out the application form for the FR 2nd year warranty and made a copy for me.

She then was going to direct me to another salesman to indicate that only a few others have gotten that warranty in the past and Forest River really did not cover much of anything with that warranty, and that is was not worth the money. In the end, she did give me the sheet for the FR 2nd year warranty, but placed in the pamphlet for the Route66 extended warranty promotion.

We ended up leaving without talking to the salesmen about the 2nd year warranty. Apparently, they are not too interested or upfront in sharing the info with customers.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Krusing Since 1975

Send a message via Yahoo to skydoctor
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydoctor View Post
In 2013 I purchased a 2014 37BH fifth wheel. After going thru the check list we saw everything working and signed the papers.We have been RV'ing for 40 years and broke a golden rule, try it out local first before the long trip.Within 3 days after purchase we decided to take a trip from Indiana to South Dakota. Along the way on the trip we had issues, microwave did not work, refrigerator would not hold temperature, two serving tables broke, trailer decals started to peel, support bracket on fiber glass wheel well came loose, water leak by docking station, and misc. cabinet and door problems.
How discouraged we were with the new camper. When we got back and took it to a dealer, they said they would take care of it but, only to sit at dealers for several months and to only replace my microwave without any other action of repair. I let the dealer know how I felt and ask for the FR DM for Cedar Cheek – Silverback. He readily gave me the number. I talked to The DM and explained the problem with the dealer. After having a conversation with him he gave me a number to call. Please understand, I made no threats only that I was very unhappy with my purchase and needed to be taken care of. I called the young lady in Topeka (Denise) and set up an appointment (warranty) to have items repaired. The appointment was set up 6 months in advance (you must be patient) and I took my RV in on the date. It was no big deal because it was 6 months in the future because it was going in winter storage. I had purchased the extended warranty for an additional year.
It took 2 months to resolve my issues at the factory but, the trailer is like new. Not only did they repair the items that I requested but, they went thru the entire RV to insure that no other problems exist. I was totally amazed at what they did. I read all the negative issues that we all have and give but, I thing if you have the time and patients, FR Cedar Creek – Silverback will take care of you.
I am sure some people will say bull, I expect that but, I got great service from FR Cedar Creek – Silverback. Denise said that I should give her name out and phone number. Remember this is for Cedar Creek & Silverback warranty only.Her name is Denise (she will be at the Goshen Rally representing Cedar Creek and Silverback) for repairs. Her telephone number is 260.593.3018 x2425.
Correction phone number to contact for Cedar Creek and Silverback ONLY

Thank you Larry!
This was a wonderful testimonial and we are glad that you are satisfied with the repairs. Also I must personally thank you for noting being patient, everything can be fixed on an RV but it does sometimes take time. J One correction, my phone number is #260-593-4000 X-20211, that is the best number to get to me.
Thank you again and Happy Camping!!
Denise
skydoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post

- New fridge panel. Dealer ordered this at time of delivery due to one panel being cracked.
- New driver side plastic fender. On the second outting, fender ripped off bolts holding it to the body.
- Missing air mattress. Dealer ended up taking one out another camper but we had been waiting for 6 weeks.

Just a little frustrated with warranty claims from FR. I hope they improve but don't hold my breath.
If you do a little reading here, these are small items to be upset about. There are threads of cracked 5 wheel frames, delaminations, axles and mountings that are broken. Some stories are really hard to read and never really get fixed.

You are lucky that your items are kind of minor. They won't cause you to get wet, cold, stranded, or unable to use your camper. I know it's frustrating though.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #8

Southern Pride it seems like these are relativly minor problems, I too have had a few but addressed them myself, I could have had the dealer do it but I could easily do it in a fraction of the time.

I understand the frustration but these problems are small enough that they can and will get fixed, it is just a slow process.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Teddy Bear's issues have been moved to http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oes-83349.html

Hopefully we can get him some help.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #10
OffGrid

Our experience was more with the dealership than with FR. Our dealership told us the time delay about the ladder that came with the new purchase of D2861 motorhome - they kept telling us they placed the order. 6 months after we have purchased the rig (2014) we still didn't see it coming nor did they call to let us know the status. Finally, fed up and frustrated, we call FR directly, well, guess what, they shipped the damn ladder. My husband was actually in a shouting match with the Sales Manager @ Akron Camping World. The Sales Manager told him that there wasn't any ladder in the RV we bought...it was mostly nutty to deal with a crazy person who is in the position and should know his products. Well, Wade didn't.

Another problem we ran into was the time sitting in the Camping World for months...it seemed like they either lack of the right repair technicians or excuses to delay repairs. We went in with a list of warranty repair items, after taking the brand new motorhome there 3 times, they finally repaird the ones on the list.

Fast forward, our initial purchase warranty is about to expire, I am looking for advice to what we need to do...we love our RV and the trips taken so far. I have to agree that the crafmanship isn't the greatest. For example, the latch under the master bed was broken once and fixed, when we tried to pull the drawer out again, it snapped and broke again.

Has anyone purchased the extended warranty from the dealership or FR direct? What are the pros/cons?
Many thanks
Tweiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweiland View Post

Has anyone purchased the extended warranty from the dealership or FR direct? What are the pros/cons?
Many thanks
The 2nd year FR factory warranty is not available for motorhomes, only on towables.
So your only option is 3rd party warranties.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #12
OffGrid

Bikendan,
Thanks - do you have any suggestions of any insurer? Are they worth the dollar?
Tweiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #13
4 MONTHS & Still waiting

http://www.agwsinc.com/products/auto...tial-plan.aspx
Check this link out , this is a good plan
Teddy Bear 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
TWeiland,

I would purchase the second year for $150. Best deal out there.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #15

I have had good service from Cornerstone, they paid to replace a blower motor that the bearing was starting to get loud, you can use any service center and it can be cancelled at anytime and is transferable for 50.00. When I took it in, all it was a call and approved in 15 mins or so. The newer the unit the cheaper it is.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
4 MONTHS & Still waiting

The second year from Forest River. ........ They been giving me the run around since I have bought my unit. If I pay $1000 more for a warranty outside of Forest River. I'll be saving money in the long run.
Teddy Bear 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
TWeiland,

I would purchase the second year for $150. Best deal out there.

Brian
TWEILAND has a motorhome, so it's not available.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #18

Wait a minute, SouthernPride. You were missing an air mattress? For a fold out sofa maybe? We bought a Hemisphere ironically in Texas driving down from Kansas City.
But we didn't get any kind of mattress for our fold out sofa which we kind of wondered
about. We did have to have our sky light replaced which got cracked somehow or is was that way when we picked it up. But we took it to a local Camping World and they honored the warranty and replaced it. So now I wonder if we got shafted on the mattress. This outfit in Waco was OK but they were a little lax on some things. I had to call them and have them send me a power cord, as the manual said I should've had one.
jas451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas451 View Post
Wait a minute, SouthernPride. You were missing an air mattress? For a fold out sofa maybe? We bought a Hemisphere ironically in Texas driving down from Kansas City.
But we didn't get any kind of mattress for our fold out sofa which we kind of wondered
about. We did have to have our sky light replaced which got cracked somehow or is was that way when we picked it up. But we took it to a local Camping World and they honored the warranty and replaced it. So now I wonder if we got shafted on the mattress. This outfit in Waco was OK but they were a little lax on some things. I had to call them and have them send me a power cord, as the manual said I should've had one.
Purchased a 272RLIS Hemi Lite back in April and it came with an Air Mattress. Ours was stored under the couch.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #20

We took delivery on our unit in 2013. Didn't notice the air mattress was missing for several months. A call to FR and our mattress was delivered to our front door in about two weeks time from making the phone call. Another time I ordered a part, took a few pictures of the defective part, e-mailed the pictures to FR and a week later I had the part. Dealers in my area would take a couple of months to take a look at our unit than order parts no telling how long to repair. We did not purchase from our local dealer, we would be pushed to the back of the storage lot and wait. Glad I can do most myself, it's not rocket science.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, warranty