Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
Marshmallow Expert
 
MSgt Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 88
Fresh water drain wonky?

I have had trouble draining my fresh water tank, so I decided to investigate and found what you see in the picture. Iím no engineer, but water typically flows downhill. I guess if the tank was full enough the weight of the water would push it over the hump, but mine only has a few gallons and isnít going anywhere. The tank is located inside on the floor under the bed, not in the undercarriage, BTW.

Was mine put together by a rookie, made on a Monday by an employee with a hangover, or is there a genuine reason it was made this way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA561C9A-AC8E-4B4D-BC2E-756A0353C9BF.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	211047  
__________________

__________________
Rick & Stephanie
2019 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD Sport
2018 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL


Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
MSgt Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 566
We sure the one circled is the drain? Have a drain, supply, and pump feed line. sure which is which?
__________________

gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
hack522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 320
What is the line to the left for? I see the inlet fill line but why is there three lines?
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,342
Wait... what?!

I have no clue why it is plumbed that way.

Also looks like your pump suction line is kinked 1/2 shut too!

You sure you have them identified properly? It wouldn't matter about the rise in the plumbing if that one goes to the pump
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
Marshmallow Expert
 
MSgt Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 88
100% sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
We sure the one circled is the drain? Have a drain, supply, and pump feed line. sure which is which?
The line circled is definitely the drain, I had my wife jiggle it inside while I looked underneath and watched the drain valve move up and down. The hose closest to the front of the pic is the feed line to the pump, and the line above the circled drain hose is the vent.
__________________
Rick & Stephanie
2019 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD Sport
2018 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL


Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
MSgt Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Rick View Post
I have had trouble draining my fresh water tank, so I decided to investigate and found what you see in the picture. Iím no engineer, but water typically flows downhill. I guess if the tank was full enough the weight of the water would push it over the hump, but mine only has a few gallons and isnít going anywhere. The tank is located inside on the floor under the bed, not in the undercarriage, BTW.

Was mine put together by a rookie, made on a Monday by an employee with a hangover, or is there a genuine reason it was made this way?
I certainly can't see any logical reason.

Also can't see any reason why it couldn't be straightened in order to more fully drain tank.

It will take a Psychic to figure out what was going through the mind of the installer. I could see the right angles if the hose(s) were horizontal and the installer was trying to get around a structural component but this?


One note, if the tank was full and you opened the drain this whatever it is would siphon the water out of the tank only stopping when water got to the level of the inlet and air broke the siphon effect. But WHY???
__________________
Sami. my Shih-Tsu "Co-Pilot" R.I.P
Politically Incorrect since 1943
"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Wait... what?!

I have no clue why it is plumbed that way.

Also looks like your pump suction line is kinked 1/2 shut too!

You sure you have them identified properly? It wouldn't matter about the rise in the plumbing if that one goes to the pump
No big deal as long as it will flow 3-3.5 gallons per minute. That's about max for a pump but it does indicate that whoever plumbed this was "challenged".
__________________
Sami. my Shih-Tsu "Co-Pilot" R.I.P
Politically Incorrect since 1943
"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
No big deal as long as it will flow 3-3.5 gallons per minute. That's about max for a pump but it does indicate that whoever plumbed this was "challenged".
Agreed... but I've see a good pump suck a 1/2 kinked line completely shut.
May as well fix that while you're fixing.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
clr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sherman Illinois
Posts: 941
Well since water with not of its own accord flow uphill, you will have to replumb the drain line here. But you will have to remove all of the complicated plumbing that the factory installer put in place to accomplish this. Just run the line straight out and then down a rather simple fix. But you have to wonder what this person was smoking when they did this.
__________________
Chuck & Sandra
Engineer/Teacher
2010 F350 CC 6.4
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
But you have to wonder what this person was smoking when they did this.
Maybe his foot was in the way and he just plumbed around it.
__________________
Sami. my Shih-Tsu "Co-Pilot" R.I.P
Politically Incorrect since 1943
"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 566
If thats the drain, I think it is impossible to drain. Other than pumping it into the grey or black tank via pump and faucet.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
If thats the drain, I think it is impossible to drain. Other than pumping it into the grey or black tank via pump and faucet.
It would not be impossible if the tank were full. If you start the drain when the tank is full, it should fill the top of the drain line and then create a siphon and drain the tank down until the drain connection becomes uncovered; it will then suck air and the siphon will be lost. In other words, it would drain the tank similarly to what many people's vent lines do when they are not routed correctly.

Any subsequent attempt to drain with the tank level below the top of the drain line would "probably" not work, depending on the amount of air/water remaining in the drain line.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #13
Marshmallow Expert
 
MSgt Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Maybe his foot was in the way and he just plumbed around it.
Haha, I do believe you have come up with the only plausible reason!

The kink in the feed tube actually looks worse in the picture, so no worries on that.

I just fixed the shattered roof vents and installed MaxxAir covers last weekend and was disappointed that I had nothing else to fix. Now I can re plumb the drain this weekend. Yay!!!

I better stock up on on repairman fluid (beer)
__________________
Rick & Stephanie
2019 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD Sport
2018 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL


Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
MSgt Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 566
I conceed.... if draining a full tank (which I can not remember ever attempting.)
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
I conceed.... if draining a full tank (which I can not remember ever attempting.)
I do it every spring when I chlorinate my tank. Don't you?
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 566
Would have to really think about my chlorinating procedure with that drain. Quite a bit left in the bottom of that tank even in best case scenerio.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
Would have to really think about my chlorinating procedure with that drain. Quite a bit left in the bottom of that tank even in best case scenerio.
Again... not if you started the siphoning/draining when the tank was full.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Georgia
Posts: 566
ok
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,846
Reuse one of the 90-degree elbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Well since water with not of its own accord flow uphill, you will have to replumb the drain line here. But you will have to remove all of the complicated plumbing that the factory installer put in place to accomplish this. Just run the line straight out and then down a rather simple fix. But you have to wonder what this person was smoking when they did this.
Yup. Just re-use one of the 90-degree elbows, right where it goes through the floor.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #20
RV There Yet?
 
IsleDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Winona, MN
Posts: 693
I think this installer is a whole lot smarter than we are giving them credit for. they are teaching us a valuable lesson in physics using Pythagorean's Cup.

__________________

__________________
2018 17RP
2009 Crew Cab King Ranch F150 "Goose"
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drain, fresh water, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.


×