Old 09-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Also there is no standing pilot such as your oven to make it clear big difference
You clearly do not have an understanding of how these fridges work . most now days are electronic ignition . it ignites the burner . which if you read my post is like a pilot only larger flame . yes that's flame, real fire in there . the older units used a thermocouple like a oven pilot now they use a flame sensor . yes that's flame sensor to tell the unit the flame is on .
the electric side has an electric heating element to heat the boiler section of the fridge .

Old 09-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #52

Quote:
There is no burner there is a one inch coil only, never heard of a rusting problem, with norcole.

http://manuals.chudov.com/RV/Norcold...ing-Manual.pdf
here's link for you go to page 27 and learn about the burner . then stop telling people what you think you know which is wrong

Old 09-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
This is another one of those WAY over thought threads. I realize everybody has their own phobias about stuff and will do crazy things because of them. I think this is one of them.

We can't turn off our fridge in the southwest while traveling as the cool will not last all day in the heat. And I've never seen any rules at gas stations about RV propane being off. But then I don't travel much back east where they seem to have a rule for EVERYTHING. I've also never read anything about insurance not covering accidents due to your propane being on. That one made me snort out loud

Since the advent of the modern refrigerators w/o the pilot light, I don't personally know anybody that turns off the propane at gas stations. Even when I had one I never did.

Our RV group was discussing this a while back due to a similar thread and most of us had never even heard of turning off the fridge on travel day.

So, if the propane being on bothers you... turn it off. Otherwise do as most of us do and don't worry about it and pick another phobia to focus on
People used to spark up a Camel and fill there tank, seldom did anyone blow up.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
You got a better chance of being hit by lightning then your Rv catching on fire because the fridge is running.

What's to stop it catching on fire while your camping?

If it was such a no no then it wouldn't be possible to do so.

I'm more scared of miss Amy then I am of my fridge catching on fire.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
Does Miss Amy know of this?
Old 09-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisite2016 View Post
To answer Dan..yes that was the assumption from the state police. Nothing was proven. However to say it is nearly impossible is like saying I will take that chance. Your fridge cold during travel if left closed. Everyone has that choice.
A guy posted a couple weeks ago about his batteries catching fire. Maybe the trailer you saw suffered from that???

If it were really that dangerous:
a. There'd be stickers all over it saying not to (I've got 3 or 4 just on my range hood!)
b. There'd be RV's torching the side of the road all over the place (I've never seen one or heard of one).
c. This would not be such a heated debate

QED

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #56
Mod free 5er

Quote:
There is no burner there is a one inch coil only, never heard of a rusting problem, with norcole.
Norcold frig in my Flagstaff has a burner. I do think yours does also.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #57

Witch Doctor has been drinking his social brew. I think he was referring to a standing pilot.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
No Burner . you must go look at the nor-colds or dometics both duel power either electric or gas . the propane side has a burner . much greater flame then a standing pilot . and yes the burners on the nor-cold rust up .
Just what do you think heats the boiler when on propane ? Answer the burner .
It is not a burner it is a coil, It is about 1" long with a very little flame, I'm not going to say this again. You can call that a burner if you want but it is just a coil top right sorry picture upside down. NO RIBBON BURNER PERIOD>
Attached Files
File Type: pdf coil.pdf (282.6 KB, 18 views)
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
http://manuals.chudov.com/RV/Norcold...ing-Manual.pdf
here's link for you go to page 27 and learn about the burner . then stop telling people what you think you know which is wrong
Page 27 shows a coil not a ribbon burner, there are only two types of burners either ribbon or inshot, that is a coil. Also sir you can say what you want and call it what you want, but when you order the part it called a coil. The flame is smaller then the old standing pilot the small flame only heats the coil. Your oven has a bigger pilot flame then that refer. And Yes i know the difference between electronic ignition and standing pilots. And I still have never heard of any rusting problems on this forum or any other. Also there is no reason to be rude.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:15 PM   #60

Quote:
It is not a burner it is a coil, It is about 1" long with a very little flame, I'm not going to say this again. You can call that a burner if you want but it is just a coil top right sorry picture upside down. NO RIBBON BURNER PERIOD>
Just what does it say the item circled with the number 75 in it? Maybe the flame that is heating the burner.

Have you ever peered into the back of your fridge while on gas? Look hard and you will see a flame now if you want to define a burner as some long ribbon type thing then no there is no ribbon burner but there is a pilot type flame heating that coil... #75

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, travel