Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Site Team

Getting ready and bad news came in

My trailer is being serviced and prep for the next trip. I got the bad news about my patio awning poor condition being beyond repair. I hardly ever use it so I inquired about taping it to death. With summer approaching that really wasn't a good option.

Has anyone tried using an awning cover to help protect?
Search - awning cover - Camping World

Between the annual maintenance service, Perma Plate protection (waxing) and the replacement awning my tax refund is being invested in my little trailer. The good part is that it will be looking new-like again but without the saw dust.

:

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I have not used one but some have used a piece of gutter to make a cover. When you replace the awning have one ordered with the first foot or so with the metal armor. My parents had to replace theirs due to storm damage and UV breakdown. It was not much more and the first wrap or so is metal of some sort to keep the awning out of the sun and trees.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Thanks for your suggestion. I love the idea of the awning having the metal armor and had inquired about it. I am working with a tight budget that needed to include service department installing it. This was an unplanned replacement so the timing wasn't so well.

The good news is that I will have a nice pretty awning that I better start using.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Before I managed to snag a covered storage spot I looked at using the snap over awning covers. The biggest potential negative issues I found while researching them was water retention inside the tubing. I can see the cover potentially holding water and creating a mold and or mildew problem. A custom stripped awning is not something that would make the DW happy...

Some reviews said it was best to just use these while in storage...that was my plan.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #5

" I hardly ever use it" I think this is part of the problem why it deteriorated. These things hold water, mine is soaking wet whenever I deploy it. I will deploy it here at home now and then just to let it dry and air out and whenever camping it will always get deployed sometime during the outing. I have no experience with the covers so not sure how effective they are. ☺
Old 03-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Getting ready and bad news came in

Good point about deterioration due to not using it. Might had used it maybe 2-3 times in about 3-4 years. Also think I used a harsh cleaner. Of course the hot CA sun didn't help either. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2292.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	133255Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2290.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	133256 (under side of awning)

I'm out camping and the new awning is nice. I was concern about the color I selected but it was as nice as I was told. Looks really good with the colors of the trailer. Wished my rear window awning matched but not going to replace.