Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Smile Good Reviews Please

Just bought a Salem Cruise Lite 262BH and coming from a 1990 wilderness it's like a new huge home on wheels .
and yes i start reading all the reviews and OUCH did i buy the wrong brand ??? i know how to work on them but hope i don't have to i mean ya it's brand new so im sure there may be a few bugs to work out and that's fine . my Yukon i had for over 20 years and replace about everything so i learned a lot with that camper .
so can i get some good reviews to make me feel better about my BIG purchase some of you who have owned a Salem brand trouble free i mean as big issues .
my yukon was like a rock ! hoping this one will last as long ?

Dave
Switta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Haulin' Camp

We have a Salem, and I have no complaints. We had some minor issues at the beginning, but all of the bugs have been worked out. Angry people seem to take the time to write reviews. You'll never hear about all of the people who are satisfied with a product. Enjoy!
2 Dogs

KewlKamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #3

Switta,

We too just bought a 2016 262BHXL. We have only used it once for an overnight but love the layout and the space. We have noticed a ton of metal spiral shavings all over the floor even after constantly sweeping. We also noticed what looks like these spiral shavings trapped under the linoleum floor. I am worried they will tear through in no time. Overall though we are loving it. Hoping that there are no blunders as the Alaskan summer goes on!
nursemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #4

We had a 2009 Salem LA 292fkds, bought it used in 2011 and traded it in 2014. We loved it, no major issues. Only reason we traded it was because we wanted a TH. The Salem was a great camper, my only complaint was that it was a little short in the outside storage department.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We've been in our Hemi 282RK for a little over a year now. We're seasonal in a campground, and it's my home away from home as my work takes me to the opposite end of the state of Ohio. In 2014, I was in it an average 4 days a week 2 1/2 - 3 weeks a month from April through November. I've had 2 problems. One was the remote wasn't programmed when I got the trailer (minor annoyance as I can certainly push a button), and two a problem with the black tank.
Both my dealer (Avalon RV in Medina, OH) and FR took care of #2 (pun intended ) immediately and had me back up and running in less than a day. While at it, the tech called Lippert and got the remote working.
I've had nothing but positive experiences with both Avalon and FR.

Trying to keep the proper perspective, I didn't buy a $350K home on wheels so my expectations of comparing to my home have to be completely different.

Perhaps I am one of the few fortunate ones, but I did not find my new TT a mess, full of construction debris, or things that didn';t work. Avalon let me have as much time as I wanted to do the pdi, said if I wanted 2 days it's OK with them. (I spent 6 hours). I told them what I ecxpected and they had all systems up and running on all sources (shore, propane, bttery), fresh tank filled, ran the pump, heaters, refrig, ran all the water faucets, toilet, etc, and then showed me how to empty the tanks and flush the black tank. We took videos, pictures, and notes. the few minor annoyances such as cabinet doors that didn't close properly, a piecce of trim that wasn't on good enough, were fixed while we were doing the paperwork.

While I don't argue with those who have had problems, I just didn't find that to be the case with my experience. I don't think FR makes "bad" product. I do believe using a good reputable, well staffed dealer will go a long way.

"Caviat Empter"
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

thanks for the replies ! still waiting for them to prep it and give me a call to come in and and go over everything .
it's a local dealer who has been in business here for a very long time they were the only ones that were not pushy on wanting me to put money down as soon as i walked in the door . some dealers are worse then a car dealer ! LOL . they took there time to make sure it was exactly what i was looking for and showed me several models in the 90+ degree heat . im really looking forward to the extra room .
im more excited about this then when i bought my new truck in December

Dave
Old 06-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #7

We just bought the 261BHXL. We have only camped in it one weekend but we loved it! Our only issue was that a couple of lights weren't working but they should be taken care of before our next trip.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #8

We have a 2016 262 BHXL used it 4 weekends already and have had no issues. Feel it's a great value for the price. Seems more complaints from the units with more bells and whistles. We are very happy with our purchase.
Buffalo2VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switta View Post
Just bought a Salem Cruise Lite 262BH and coming from a 1990 wilderness it's like a new huge home on wheels .
and yes i start reading all the reviews and OUCH did i buy the wrong brand ??? i know how to work on them but hope i don't have to i mean ya it's brand new so im sure there may be a few bugs to work out and that's fine . my Yukon i had for over 20 years and replace about everything so i learned a lot with that camper .
so can i get some good reviews to make me feel better about my BIG purchase some of you who have owned a Salem brand trouble free i mean as big issues .

Dave
You wont find many positive reviews on forums (in general) the happy people are all out enjoying their unit. Usually the ones on forums are having a problem they need help with. Dont read too far into it, there are probably way more happy than unhappy poeple. That is the thing you have to remember about forums!

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
You wont find many positive reviews on forums (in general) the happy people are all out enjoying their unit. Usually the ones on forums are having a problem they need help with. Dont read too far into it, there are probably way more happy than unhappy poeple. That is the thing you have to remember about forums!
SO TRUE!
Most people join a RV forum seeking help with problems or info.
Rarely do people join because their RV is great.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #11

Recommend without reservation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
I've seen a lot of negative posts, but since buying our Salem Cruise Lite 262BHXL last summer, we've been very pleased. Each time I discovered a minor item to be corrected, I laughed inwardly, corrected it and moved on. I believe all the kinks are now worked out and we go out to enjoy our toy.

The layout is perfect for our family of four (2 boys). we are still working out ways to overcome the outside storage limits but we knew that when we bought it. There were spiral metal shavings discovered with each sweeping for the first three trips but I think I got 'em all by now. We have probably spent 17-18 nights in it by now and are leaving with it for a week at the beach tomorrow morning. Would I recommend this unit to another family? Without reservation.
Kbryant099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #12

mine has been great now also after getting all the little issues taken care of .
there is a lot of room under the pantry and wardrobe cabinets and under the right of the sink .
i cut the panels under the pantry and used magnetic catches , you cant even tell they open till you push on them .
it created a bit more inside storage .
i have also had the thought of getting another outside access door and cutting it in between the front door and the fresh water fill and then framing in a box under the counter top for a bit more outside storage .

Dave
Old 07-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #13

Good Reviews Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switta View Post

Dave

We have a Salem Cruiselite 181BHXL, bought new in 2012 and did a pdi with the dealer(about 3hrs) They took care of all the minor issues and made sure we understood everything as we live 3.5 hrs from the dealer. So far we haven't gotten any major issues and been very happy with our trailer.

As for the forums, I too had felt like you did at first. But I have learned that you have take it with a grain of salt. And it's to your advantage to learn from the more experienced RVers here rather than be a grumpy camper, remember why you bought a trailer in the first place, "memories and camp outs".

We take advantage of the forums to educate us, not create the mistakes that a few who have and learn from it. Not saying I didn't make any, but I am not repeating it lol.

We learn how to improve our units and get more enjoyment out of it as you have discovered by making extra room for packing stuff away.

Sent from my miniature all thumbs computer (iPhone4) using Forest River Forums
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 PM   #14

We are also very happy with our 262BHXL. Like the previous comments, we found lots of metal shavings but after the second trip, they are gone. The storage is great for us, my Thirty One totes sit in the bottom bunk when we are travelling but hidden away. Our second weekend away had torrential rain for two days and we were happy to discover that there were no leaks and the trailer didn't get muggy inside.
Like someone else said, we knew we weren't getting top end but for our first TT, we love it!
Musicismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #15
Done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
SO TRUE!
Rarely do people join because their RV is great.
I must be a weirdo...

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #16

We have a 2015 Salem 27RKSS got a year ago in July only problem I had is the water pump kept cycling every hour when first got it my dealer fixed it. We camp in it at least once a month since we have had it it it a great camper with a nice living space
tim mccarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #17

salem fifth wheel

Just purchased and towed our 286rl from Ohio, to S.D. then back to N,C. virtually trouble free, one broken lamp globe and one window shade cord broken, both parts were shipped to my home from Jeff Couch, selling dealer, other than that it has been perfect, we love it!!!!!
tommie.graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #18

We bought a 2015 salem rkss last year around this time and other than operator error we have had no problems, nada, zilch, nothing. Happy camping
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #19
Happy Camper

We bought our 262BHXL recently brand new. After a couple of minor issues were corrected by the dealer, we have taken 3 trips and everything has been perfect. The layout is great if you have kids or grandkids. I think our camper has every option that was available. We are loving it.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote