Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
Attachment 101925Attachment 101926
Breakfast is cooked on a gas griddle and most dinners are on the Webber Q

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Holy massive cooking rig, Batman. That is for sure the next level. LOL
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #22

OK, these things have stoves inside??? Really??

I guess.....if DW wants to bake a cake or something.

Cooking while camping is done outside. Frying on a griddle (griddle same as Big Rig's but on a two burner stand up LP cooker), on one sorta like this, but mine is home made:
https://jet.com/product/detail/52c75...0eUaArnx8P8HAQ

Have a 4 part charcoal/LP/grill/smoker/fryer for most other stuff. At home I have about 9 diff cookers.........some homemade and on wheels.......just depends on how much room I have and where I'm going and who all wants to eat and what I hanker for, etc.......as to which I take.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackor View Post
I have a Camp Chef 2 burner that connects to my trailer quick disconnect. I've got a small 3 foot folding table from Costco to use for prep. Both fit nicely in the garage.

@Big Rig: That's a great griddle. Do you have info on the brand/model and where you picked it up?

The brand is Blackstone and I purchased it from Cabellas. It comes on a stand but I got tired of setting it up all the time and just put it on the sliding tray.

Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #24

We cook outside on the firepit, bought a nice triangle grill from Shipshewana when we were at the Goshen Rally, we cook all our dinners on it, then we have a great fire starter for the night fire.
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #25

Cooking Inside

If you cooked fish it is.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #26

We always use the grill for all the meat. Can't think of a time I ever cooked meat (other than for breakfast) inside. We used the grill that attached to the TT for a few years, but prefer one that we can set up farther away from the side of the TT. Have rarely used the oven. Use the inside stove for any hot side dishes. Prefer an electric griddle for many items (pancakes, grilled cheese, etc.).

Cooking on the fire itself is fun for the 'snack' hotdog or smoked sausage later in the evening, but we rarely use it for 'dinner'.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #27

I love to cook and cook the same camping as I do at home. Home made bread in an electric convection oven sitting on an outside table or the gas stove/oven inside. We also do a lot of dutch oven cooking outside using a 14, 12, and 10 oven. I love my Volcano Grill for grilling, or to hold a 14 dutch oven. Desserts, main dishes and sides all cooked in dutch ovens are fun, healthy and delicious. As needed I also use a electric griddle and crock pot. The crock pot comes in handy when we are gone for the day.
lindalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #28

Like above... We cook just like we do at home, with a few exceptions. We have used our oven and stove a bunch! We have also toted our crock pot on a few trips, our electric skillet goes everywhere we go! Last fathers day My wife bought me a nice propane camp stove to keep in the camper, we use it on steaks, chops, or anything you would grill....

Heck, a couple weeks ago when we camped I cooked 36 wings in the oven.... Tasted delicious!

99% of the time we don't change our weekly menu for a camping trip! We camp by the saying of, if we were going to eat it at home we can eat it in the camper!

Unless were cooking for a group or as a group... Then the gloves are off and we cook outside!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister6741 View Post
Which do you do more? Until now I've been used to keeping a campfire going and using it for all of our cooking needs. I never even took a grill with us - I have taken just the metal grill part itself that goes over the fire but not the whole unit. We were really roughing it, sleeping in tents and then an older pop up. Now that I have this lovely new trailer I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of actually cooking inside! Seems weird to me.

Also, how do you like the bumper grill? I've heard they aren't all that, and then I've heard that for the average burger and hot dog cooks they are great. What say you?
I have never used stove since I bought RV has an outdoor kitchen made a cover over stove use as extra counter space.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #30

I'm probably the only one here who prefers dining out, more than cooking. I retired from the kitchen after so many years of cooking. Of course if I had a spouse who cooked or barbecued for me that might be different.......
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #31

I had a camp trailer for years.. sold it and bought a Harley so we tent camped from 2007 to 2015. I am a hunter so we already had all the outdoor cooking stuff.. dutch ovens, portable propane grills, cast iron skillets...
We bought the FR3 last June and outfitted it with a new Charbroil propane grill. We had a Coleman Grillin Griddle that I had from years ago and we put that one in there for breakfasts....
If we are boondocked out some place, we'll cook steaks dogs or chicken on the grill, and cook breakfast on the griddle.... but if we are in a campground close to town, we like to get out and see what the local stuff looks like and maybe eat a meal or two from the area... like the coast, or whatever... maybe hit a brewery or a winery someplace... most times we don't take food to even cook... we'll just take snacks and drinks... if it's just the wife and I, I'll pop in a frozen jimmy dean sausage sandwich and make coffee....
We have pretty crappy weather in Oregon most of the time... (summers excluded) we have around 8 months of rain and wind so cooking outside becomes a pain real quick...
Local restaurants sometimes have interesting history of the area you can enjoy too...
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #32

We precook and freeze a lot of our meals that can last more than a week. Cooking out is fun, but not having to cook is not a bad thing. We carry a Weber for grilling.

Our kids bought us an electric pressure cooker that we are eager to try out. It works as a steamer, slow cooker, and pressure cooker in one. The kids have one and love it. We can set this up outdoors on a table. There are a lot of great one-pot recipes.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #33

Twojump36: I agree. I spent a month last Fall in Oregon. The evenings were chilly and lot's of rain. I enjoyed trying the local seafood and clam chowder. I too like to try the local cuisine when traveling instead of what I usually prepare. I find that I end up wasting food because Of being too tired to cook or barbecue after a long day of fun or driving.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #34

We cook outside. We have only cooked inside when we were testing to make sure the stove and oven worked.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #35

Cook outside 98.9% of the time. Even do my crockpot outside. If we are forced to inside we do sandwiches or leftovers. Stovetop is good but oven is very small. I also have electric griddle and just bought a Foreman grill and am going to try that out this season for panini inside.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:41 PM   #36
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Just added this to my arsenal of outside cooking devices.
Absolutely love it!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #37

I love my Grill..... and the DW who uses it.....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #38

We have a great indoor kitchen. Having said that we also have the outside kitchen and bumper grill. Really enjoy outside kitchen since it keeps us outside. Our bumper grill works great; although it's on the smallish side. It will do 6 hamburgers and 4 hotdogs at one time or 6 really nice steaks. It plugs into the gas system so I have nothing extra to carry. Course we carry a fire grate so we can cook over open flame too. Lol. What really helps is the little half bath we access from outside. We have the 346QBUD Salem hemisphere.

dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #39

OP about grilling, 100% outside, have several choices of grills but do love my lodge sportsman and hickory wood. Inside cooking is very limited, coffee, stove top sides like rice or boil and mix stuff. pizza and biscuits in the oven from time to time. A lot of Dutch ovens go with us
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #40

Cookin' inside or out?

FORD IDAHO - bout wet myself with the eggs on the grate
Tent camped (kid, scouts, family) for many moons, have everything from cast iron to electric griddle, convection microwave, Coleman Roadtrip gas grill, crock pot, electric skillet.... Just kinda let the DW menu, weather and if we're with family or camping buds drive what to use, fun having selection so whatever suits your fancy, do it..just enjoy and

Tags
camper