Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #41

Hi all! Having been a tenter for many years, then a popper-upper, and now on my 2nd hybrid, I love all the choices available to us for cooking. Not wanting to 'grease the walls' or harbor odors in the tent-ends of our Roo or the upholstery, I cook anything that spatters or has what could become a bad odor (heat and humidity) outside. I do use the stovetop on occasion, and the oven for goodies like biscuits, cookies, and brownies.

We carry an outdoors camping table which we set up under the awning. There, I can use the crockpot or the electric skillet, plugging into the outside electric outlet We always use our Coleman propane stove, either over on the picnic table, or on the camping table. We love charcoal-grilling, and have a charcoal grill, which we use a lot. We haven't used the propane grill that came with the unit at all.

One thing we Had to change out was the horrible smoke alarm. It would blare to beat all--with no smoke (!). Especially when using the oven, and I swear I did not burn the food . Hubby replaced it with one that has an alarm shut-off, and the world is good!

Can't wait to get out on our first trip of the season! Happy camping/RVing all!

-Pam
Gene and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #42

Dutch Oven

We have started cooking with a dutch oven and love it. Stews and cobblers Takes very few briquettes. We also have a mini Weber for grilling and a small propane Coleman stove/grill for making breakfast outside. Rarely use the indoor kitchen.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #43

Many years ago, in our first camper, a C class we had stopped at a crowded Rv park on our way to Ontario for our son to attend hockey camp. We met great people and everyone wanted to tour everyone's new "rigs!" Parked right next to us was a beautifully outfitted C class similar to ours but with higher end appointments. It had light blue carpet, everywhere. Popular at the time. Well, they apologized as soon as we entered because they had cooked bacon...a couple of days ago.... and the place reeked. There will never, ever be bacon cooked in my new RV...or anything else with a lingering smell. Word to the wise!!!
Celkalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #44

When out and about if for a long trip - @6 weeks- we do a bit of every type cooking including making enuf for leftovers (using crock pot on the picnic table or the two burner stove I picked up in a great thrift shop in Ridgeway Co) or frozen dinners I prepped before departure or using the gas stove inside our class C...or table top BBQ or firepit BBQ ( WMT sells a three pack wire-mesh grill top for $3-4 if one wants something easily disposed of). We prefer eating like we do at home and the little freezer holds a lot. Just takes time to food prep at home: Beef stew, smoked fish for tacos or wraps, homemade soups,
smoked chicken, sliced beef for au jus on buns. Quick meals when heading to destination are fairly easy: tuna helper using cod and fresh broccoli or Zatarin beans and rice mixed in with a can of Stagg chili or a sausage link. We love cooking on the road and like next week we will be enjoying a groupon in Phoenix at a Mexican restaurant. Enjoy the taste of life😊🍷
Hiker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:26 PM   #45

We cook inside a bit ~~ even use a crock pot. For out side we have a grill, we have a camp stove, and at times an electric skillet. Depends on which one of us is cooking what...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister6741 View Post
Which do you do more? Until now I've been used to keeping a campfire going and using it for all of our cooking needs. I never even took a grill with us - I have taken just the metal grill part itself that goes over the fire but not the whole unit. We were really roughing it, sleeping in tents and then an older pop up. Now that I have this lovely new trailer I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of actually cooking inside! Seems weird to me.

Also, how do you like the bumper grill? I've heard they aren't all that, and then I've heard that for the average burger and hot dog cooks they are great. What say you?
This is a great discussion point that I'm always preaching about at RV dealerships, RV shows and anyone who will listen. Most RV's nowadays lack the outdoor kitchen that we believe (the wife and I) should be as automatic as the "forced-to-buy-outdoor entertainment centers!" We have seen some really nice RV's that, if you buy it, you get a nice TV and radio for under the awning outdoors! Are you kidding me? Why do we have to pay for THAT? There's at least 2 more TV's inside!! I've yet to have a salesperson disagree with the point and question.........
Where's the OUTDOOR KITCHEN??
My wife and I are fans of cooking outside, watching other campsites enjoying the same! It's cool to see families around the campfire and grills and making use of their outdoor amenities. But, I appreciate it when folks are NOT cranking up the outdoor stereos and TV's.
Cook outside and have family fun, enjoy the camping. If you're fortunate to have the outdoor kitchen, as we do, it enhances the pleasure of what we believe camping/rv'ing is all about. Watch TV Inside, please. Cook and party all you want outside....better yet, come and cook at our site and bring the beverage of your choice....be glad to share the kitchen and camp stories with you
RingoRoy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #47

Seasonal site, starting our third year. We have never used the stove/oven inside our camper. Have a full sized Weber and the microwave to re-heat things. At the start of the season we cook extra burgers, brats, and chops to put in the freezer for rainy days or late arrivals. Nothing wrong with ordering a pizza in a pinch. We are not big breakfast people, just coffee.

In reading through this, everyone uses their camper differently.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #48

[QUOTE=RingoRoy15;1132358]This is a great discussion point that I'm always preaching about at RV dealerships, RV shows and anyone who will listen. Most RV's nowadays lack the outdoor kitchen that we believe (the wife and I) should be as automatic as the "forced-to-buy-outdoor entertainment centers!" We have seen some really nice RV's that, if you buy it, you get a nice TV and radio for under the awning outdoors! Are you kidding me? Why do we have to pay for THAT? There's at least 2 more TV's inside!! I've yet to have a salesperson disagree with the point and question.........
My wife and I are fans of cooking outside, watching other campsites enjoying the same! It's cool to see families around the campfire and grills and making use of their outdoor amenities. But, I appreciate it when folks are NOT cranking up the outdoor stereos and TV's.
Cook outside and have family fun, enjoy the camping. If you're fortunate to have the outdoor kitchen, as we do, it enhances the pleasure of what we believe camping/rv'ing is all about. Watch TV Inside, please. Cook and party all you want outside....better yet, come and cook at our site and bring the beverage of your choice....be glad to share the kitchen and camp stories with you[/QUOTE
Last thing we want is a kitchen outside. Grills, campfires, and camp stoves are for cooking outside.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #49

[QUOTE=CaptnJohn;1132419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingoRoy15 View Post
This is a great discussion point that I'm always preaching about at RV dealerships, RV shows and anyone who will listen. Most RV's nowadays lack the outdoor kitchen that we believe (the wife and I) should be as automatic as the "forced-to-buy-outdoor entertainment centers!" We have seen some really nice RV's that, if you buy it, you get a nice TV and radio for under the awning outdoors! Are you kidding me? Why do we have to pay for THAT? There's at least 2 more TV's inside!! I've yet to have a salesperson disagree with the point and question.........

Cook outside and have family fun, enjoy the camping. If you're fortunate to have the outdoor kitchen, as we do, it enhances the pleasure of what we believe camping/rv'ing is all about. Watch TV Inside, please. Cook and party all you want outside....better yet, come and cook at our site and bring the beverage of your choice....be glad to share the kitchen and camp stories with you[/QUOTE

Last thing we want is a kitchen outside. Grills, campfires, and camp stoves are for cooking outside.

X2. Outside kitchens add lot more weight to the TT. A lot more then just my grill. I don't need an outdoor fridge or sink that is redundant. Plus most outdoor kitchens the door is head hazard. Just my opinion. Everyone has their preferences.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #50

I couldn't possibly "cook like I do at home". Geez Louise, I'd have to take......let's see...

4 fish cookers, various sizes
3 smokers, one permanently in concrete
2 LP/Charcoal combo grills
2 small propane grills
1 small charcoal grill

and.......um..........have to go outside and count again..........
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #51

One of my pet peeves is when you are crammed together in tight spaces and your neighbors are having a huge fire going and it's smoking you out. I have to shut all my windows as I'm coughing on their fumes.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #52

"X2. Outside kitchens add lot more weight to the TT. A lot more then just my grill. I don't need an outdoor fridge or sink that is redundant. Plus most outdoor kitchens the door is head hazard. Just my opinion. Everyone has their preferences."

to each his own I guess, we haven't owned our tt long enough to use the outdoor kitchen but can't wait. We love to sit outdoors after a long day and think the outdoor fridge will be great for pop, adult beverages and snacks, without trekking dirt and sand into the trailer every few minutes. We use our tt for dog shows and the dogs like to race around at this time also so not going in and out of the trailer keeps them outside. (we also go through a lot of pop so putting pop in the outdoor fridge leaves room in the inside fridge for food) As for cooking, anything meat goes on the coleman roadtrip grill and my sister fixes the side dishes inside. We're not big on breakfast or lunch so a sandwich, salad, or snacks (sometimes heated in the microwave) suffice.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:38 PM   #53

Do we cook in our MH, yes we do. Am I worried about smells , not really,we don't cook fish or cabbage or other high smell items, but on the other hand have gone into other people's units who do not and will not cook in theirs and they have dogs,cat litter boxes, wet shoes etc,etc, though ( I also have a dog). I bought MH to use it , just my 2 cents.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #54

Worse than even a fishy smell in my motorhome was when my dogs got skunked outside the door late one evening and I was dry camping. ��
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:33 PM   #55

We cook on our grill just about every time. DW will always pre-plan meals an make them ahead of time. (burgers, marinated chicken, steaks..you name it). It makes things so much simpler, when all you have to do is take it out of the freezer the day you want to cook it. You will find out what works best for you.
thegreatoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #56

At the top of my list was no outdoor kitchen! We eat out a bit, use the grill, and cook inside. Also, we keep a small fridge beside the tv in the passthru storage for drinks and a few snacks.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #57

The wife and I boondock a lot with our T21QBHW. We cook just about everything outdoors even though our a frame has a 3 burner stove with oven. No heat build up inside, no odor inside.we use the little RVQ grill that came with the unit and a cast iron griddle . The outdoor kitchen sounds like the ultimate luxury to me !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	110338  
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:56 AM   #58

We have the 346Qbud Salem Hemisphere. We cook on our grill every time out, using the oven only during cooler weather, the microwave gets used a lot and so do the burners. We find the outside kitchen a joy. I'm using the inside kitchen less and less. We too prepare food ahead of time and grocery shop along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #59

As I prefer my food prepared without a fly on it or me while preparing and cooking I use the grill. Smoke from the grill keeps those critters away. A selling point for me was no outdoor kitchen to take up space and 1 unused item to winterize.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #60

Not having the outside kitchen was a deal breaker. We use ours extensively. I do most all the cooking while camping, along with clean up with the sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Camping---"162 Nights"
2016--Moved in camper 11/2015 while
getting ready to sell sticks-N-bricks
PIGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper