Old 03-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Grilling outside or camper kitchen?

Which do you do more? Until now I've been used to keeping a campfire going and using it for all of our cooking needs. I never even took a grill with us - I have taken just the metal grill part itself that goes over the fire but not the whole unit. We were really roughing it, sleeping in tents and then an older pop up. Now that I have this lovely new trailer I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of actually cooking inside! Seems weird to me.

Also, how do you like the bumper grill? I've heard they aren't all that, and then I've heard that for the average burger and hot dog cooks they are great. What say you?

Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

We pack a Traeger Mini - best grill we have ever used - it will cook anything

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Everything we eat that needs cooking get cooked thus.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #4

We have a Weber grill and don't use the one that came with the camper. We cook outside as much as we can either with the Weber grill or a Coleman stove.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #5

I made my choice based on a couple of things:

#1 The number of mouths that need to be fed. In my case is the just the wife and I with occasional trips that include two grand kids.

#2 The things I like to cook. Having said that, I carry a oversized tackle-box type propane grill for steaks and things that need to be seared at high heat. For most casual cooking / low and slow, I have a Webber Jumbo Joe charcoal grill that closes up nicely. Plus, I have a propane burner with a big pot for seafood boils. These things travel well in the bed of the truck.

Think it thru before spending big bucks on something may not be right for you.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister6741 View Post
Which do you do more? Until now I've been used to keeping a campfire going and using it for all of our cooking needs. I never even took a grill with us - I have taken just the metal grill part itself that goes over the fire but not the whole unit. We were really roughing it, sleeping in tents and then an older pop up. Now that I have this lovely new trailer I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of actually cooking inside! Seems weird to me.

Also, how do you like the bumper grill? I've heard they aren't all that, and then I've heard that for the average burger and hot dog cooks they are great. What say you?
Love grilling outside at every opportunity. The Weber Q is a great, compact little grill that cleans and stores easily.....keeps a lot of cooking odors outdoors
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #7

Grilling outside

We found that grilling outside is what camping is all about.Save cooking inside for when the weather does not allow it. One thing we found about cooking inside is that even though we have an exhaust hood fan above the stove You still smell what you had for dinner when it's bedtime,sometimes even the next day.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #8

Thanks for your replies!

Looks like outside cooking on a packed grill is more popular than inside cooking, or cooking on the bumper grill. To be honest I've barely looked at the bumper grill. Seems like I was so excited about the aspect of an outdoor kitchen that I wasn't concerned with quality - I was just happy to see the mini fridge and sink!

I like What Wobbles said. I'll definitely think it through. We are pretty simple eaters. I imagine we will be doing alot of burgers, dogs, and sides. We can fancy it up if there are others joining us.

Thanks for your input. I'm sure that you are going to see alot of newbie question threads from me in the coming days. I'm trying to read through the archives for technical answers. Some things just require that I ask a question, and I hope that's ok.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #9

Ford's post reminded me that I also carry an electric skillet that can be a timesaver for breakfast plus it is great if you want to fry anything. There is even a small croc-pot that we use when we get real lazy and want soup or stew.

Just remember to size you choices so as not to require another axel on your rig.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #10

. One thing we found about cooking inside is that even though we have an exhaust hood fan above the stove You still smell what you had for dinner when it's bedtime,sometimes even the next day.[/QUOTE]

Is that really a bad thing?

wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper