Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #1

Grilling outside or camper kitchen?

Which do you do more? Until now I've been used to keeping a campfire going and using it for all of our cooking needs. I never even took a grill with us - I have taken just the metal grill part itself that goes over the fire but not the whole unit. We were really roughing it, sleeping in tents and then an older pop up. Now that I have this lovely new trailer I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of actually cooking inside! Seems weird to me.

Also, how do you like the bumper grill? I've heard they aren't all that, and then I've heard that for the average burger and hot dog cooks they are great. What say you?
Sister6741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #2

We pack a Traeger Mini - best grill we have ever used - it will cook anything
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Everything we eat that needs cooking get cooked thus.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #4

We have a Weber grill and don't use the one that came with the camper. We cook outside as much as we can either with the Weber grill or a Coleman stove.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #5

I made my choice based on a couple of things:

#1 The number of mouths that need to be fed. In my case is the just the wife and I with occasional trips that include two grand kids.

#2 The things I like to cook. Having said that, I carry a oversized tackle-box type propane grill for steaks and things that need to be seared at high heat. For most casual cooking / low and slow, I have a Webber Jumbo Joe charcoal grill that closes up nicely. Plus, I have a propane burner with a big pot for seafood boils. These things travel well in the bed of the truck.

Think it thru before spending big bucks on something may not be right for you.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister6741 View Post
Which do you do more? Until now I've been used to keeping a campfire going and using it for all of our cooking needs. I never even took a grill with us - I have taken just the metal grill part itself that goes over the fire but not the whole unit. We were really roughing it, sleeping in tents and then an older pop up. Now that I have this lovely new trailer I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of actually cooking inside! Seems weird to me.

Also, how do you like the bumper grill? I've heard they aren't all that, and then I've heard that for the average burger and hot dog cooks they are great. What say you?
Love grilling outside at every opportunity. The Weber Q is a great, compact little grill that cleans and stores easily.....keeps a lot of cooking odors outdoors
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #7

Grilling outside

We found that grilling outside is what camping is all about.Save cooking inside for when the weather does not allow it. One thing we found about cooking inside is that even though we have an exhaust hood fan above the stove You still smell what you had for dinner when it's bedtime,sometimes even the next day.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

Thanks for your replies!

Looks like outside cooking on a packed grill is more popular than inside cooking, or cooking on the bumper grill. To be honest I've barely looked at the bumper grill. Seems like I was so excited about the aspect of an outdoor kitchen that I wasn't concerned with quality - I was just happy to see the mini fridge and sink!

I like What Wobbles said. I'll definitely think it through. We are pretty simple eaters. I imagine we will be doing alot of burgers, dogs, and sides. We can fancy it up if there are others joining us.

Thanks for your input. I'm sure that you are going to see alot of newbie question threads from me in the coming days. I'm trying to read through the archives for technical answers. Some things just require that I ask a question, and I hope that's ok.
Sister6741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

Ford's post reminded me that I also carry an electric skillet that can be a timesaver for breakfast plus it is great if you want to fry anything. There is even a small croc-pot that we use when we get real lazy and want soup or stew.

Just remember to size you choices so as not to require another axel on your rig.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #10

. One thing we found about cooking inside is that even though we have an exhaust hood fan above the stove You still smell what you had for dinner when it's bedtime,sometimes even the next day.[/QUOTE]

Is that really a bad thing?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper 2715 View Post
We found that grilling outside is what camping is all about.Save cooking inside for when the weather does not allow it. One thing we found about cooking inside is that even though we have an exhaust hood fan above the stove You still smell what you had for dinner when it's bedtime,sometimes even the next day.
x2

I have used both methods. I like outdoors better for grilling but I brought a TT with a stove so I could cook indoors if I want to. In time you will figure out what will work best for you.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
. One thing we found about cooking inside is that even though we have an exhaust hood fan above the stove You still smell what you had for dinner when it's bedtime,sometimes even the next day.
Is that really a bad thing?[/QUOTE]

I had wondered about that. Thanks for taking away the mystery. Doubt we'll be frying any fish inside the camper.

Wanna65stang....I've had a 68 and my parents had all from 65 up through 71. My childhood memories are remember through the backseat window of a Mustang. A 67 Fastback is my dream ride....
Old 03-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
Canadian Member

I cook the meat on the Weber Q outside and DW uses the stovetop and oven inside for everything else that needs to be cooked. Never have a problem with odors or humidity inside. Our TT doesn't have an outside kitchen and it's never been a priority for us. We eat outside unless the bugs/flies are bad.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #14

We tent camped for years and have over time transitioned to some inside cooking, depending on the weather. If I'm grilling steaks outside, often DW will saute mushrooms inside. Rain and cold? we'll do clam sauce inside or pop a frozen baked ziti in the oven.
Outside we cook on wood, charcoal, propane. All depends how we feel that day and what we're having: bbq chicken - wood or charcoal. Steak - hot propane.
Have the bumper grill and used it a couple of times. Did OK (our old RV had the grill mounted to a rail which started to separate from the wall while I was cooking. That was it for that one).
We like to spread out with cooking and eating areas away from the RV. All probably a holdover from tenting days.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I cook the meat on the Weber Q outside and DW uses the stovetop and oven inside for everything else that needs to be cooked. Never have a problem with odors or humidity inside.

Same here. We rarely have fires, but if we do- I will setup my adjustable grill on it and will cook over it. There's nothing quite like the taste of food cooked on a real fire.

But, we aren't camping.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:28 PM   #16

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457990808.851367.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	101925Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457990844.053682.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	101926
Breakfast is cooked on a gas griddle and most dinners are on the Webber Q

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457990718.148753.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	101924  
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Ford's post reminded me that I also carry an electric skillet that can be a timesaver for breakfast plus it is great if you want to fry anything. There is even a small croc-pot that we use when we get real lazy and want soup or stew.

Just remember to size you choices so as not to require another axel on your rig.
I carry and use the skillet because I could not get the scrambled eggs to stay on top of the grill grate.....
Old 03-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #18
Webfoot

I have a Camp Chef 2 burner that connects to my trailer quick disconnect. I've got a small 3 foot folding table from Costco to use for prep. Both fit nicely in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
Breakfast is cooked on a gas griddle ...
@Big Rig: That's a great griddle. Do you have info on the brand/model and where you picked it up?
Old 03-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #19

Our 302FK came with a gas grill that immediately got stored in the garage. We use a baby weber, fire pit, or butane single burner for most lunches and dinners. Rainy days or sometimes breakfast the kitchen gets used. Even though our new hemisphere has a large kitchen we still like to be outdoors as much as possible.
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackor View Post
I have a Camp Chef 2 burner that connects to my trailer quick disconnect. I've got a small 3 foot folding table from Costco to use for prep. Both fit nicely in the garage.

@Big Rig: That's a great griddle. Do you have info on the brand/model and where you picked it up?

I also have the camp chef and I've got both the BBQ box and the griddle for it. BBQ box works ok, but I can't seem to get an even heat on the griddle. That's why DW's started to bring an electric griddle instead for things like pancakes or grilled cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
camper