Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #1

Heater (Furnace)

Woke up at 4:30 this morning freezing! Furnace would not kick on! Went outside to open second propane tank. Still nothing. Pulled furnace fuse to check it and when I put it back in, furnace kicked on! Anyone know what might have happened? 27REI and yes I’m a newbie!
Jtmavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 AM   #2

Just a guess but I'm assuming it had a Fault sometime in the middle of the night and usually will try to start 3 times. After 3 it goes in fault mode. Pulling the fuse may have reset the system making it operational again. The fault may still be there, so keep an eye on it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtmavs View Post
Woke up at 4:30 this morning freezing! Furnace would not kick on! Went outside to open second propane tank. Still nothing. Pulled furnace fuse to check it and when I put it back in, furnace kicked on! Anyone know what might have happened? 27REI and yes I’m a newbie!
Since you did two thing at the same time it's hard to tell. My money is on the gas not having time to get to the furnace before you R & R'ed the fuse. Anytime you run out of gas, you need to light the stove to top purge the air out of the gas line.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Since you did two thing at the same time it's hard to tell. My money is on the gas not having time to get to the furnace before you R & R'ed the fuse. Anytime you run out of gas, you need to light the stove to top purge the air out of the gas line.
Didn't say he ran out of gas, just that he opened the second tank. Curious if the first one was empty or not.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Didn't say he ran out of gas, just that he opened the second tank. Curious if the first one was empty or not.
ME TOO.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:

Once you opened up the second cylinder, Did you completely turn off the thermostat and turn it back on? The reason for this, as has been suggested above, you may have been in what is called lockout mode, if the furnace tried 3 times to ignite, without propane.

To reset the lockout mode (if you run out of propane), you usually just completely turn off the thermostat and turn it back on. Pulling the fuse would have accomplished the same. The following below explains the 3-try ignition/lockout sequence:

The module board also performs the lockout function in cases where the spark fails to light the burner. When lockout occurs, the spark stops, the voltage from the module board to the gas valve is discontinued, and the valve closes. The unit will remain in lockout and the blower will continue to run until the thermostat is turned off. Turning the thermostat off disengages
the lockout function of the module board. After the blower has stopped, the ignition sequence can be started again. The module will try three times for ignition before lockout.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

You stated above you are a newbie. May I also suggest this thread which explains several things new RV owners may not be aware of. It also has a link that explains the propane automatic changeover, if you have such (which is most likely).

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

Hope it helps

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #8

The blower wouldn’t run either.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
The blower wouldn’t run either.
Once it's in Lockout mode, nothing is going to run till it's reset.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #10

Thanks everyone! I think I need to buy a tank transfer valve!
Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I think I need to buy a tank transfer valve!

You don't already have this?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1649595

Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #12
Site Team

Glancing at the Salem website: it shows an option for 30 lb propane cylinders with the automatic changeover regulator. I would assume you do have the automatic changeover, but could be wrong.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...albrochure.pdf

Options· Skylight over tub · 30-lb LP bottles w/ cover and auto change-over · 15,000 BTU ducted air w/ quick cool· Radial tires (Mandatory option)· Spare tire and carrie

Tags
heater