Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #41

My biggest problem was a poor dealer PDI, mostly my fault being new. We had a problem with the furnace, no heat most of the first season. I ending fixing it myself. 2nd problem was a leaking water pump fixed that too. I also had to rebuild the master bed frame. Things are working good now and we are really happy overall.
2016 nights camped so far 120
Craigban157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #42

I feel your budget deal... we wanted to spend 5K or less on our 1st camper... we spent 20K because of exactly what you said. Someones stinky, abused, water damaged and trashed up unit they wanted 10K+ for. The one we found 2 YO had an OCD owner.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigban157 View Post
My biggest problem was a poor dealer PDI, mostly my fault being new. We had a problem with the furnace, no heat most of the first season. I ending fixing it myself. 2nd problem was a leaking water pump fixed that too. I also had to rebuild the master bed frame. Things are working good now and we are really happy overall.
I'll definitely add those things to my list to check out. I'm sure I'm going to have to modify the bed frame from what I've read.. and put in some struts to lift it.
Roadliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I feel your budget deal... we wanted to spend 5K or less on our 1st camper... we spent 20K because of exactly what you said. Someones stinky, abused, water damaged and trashed up unit they wanted 10K+ for. The one we found 2 YO had an OCD owner.
It's amazing how many there are out there that look like they just weren't maintained properly. ruins a good investment fast.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadliner View Post
It's amazing how many there are out there that look like they just weren't maintained properly. ruins a good investment fast.
It's the reason we went brand new too!

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #46

So how long now until you get to bring yours home? Just got back with our 273QBXL last night. I'm pretty impressed with it. I went in expecting the worst and came out very happy. I don't know what it looked like when it came from the factory but our dealer must have really cleaned it up. It didn't have any of the sawdust, rough cuts or imperfections like some people have described. Now we haven't taken her out so I'm sure there will be some issues. I hope you have as great of an experience as I did picking your unit up!

2016 Ram 3500 Diesel DRW Limited
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL
Jasdow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdow77 View Post
So how long now until you get to bring yours home? Just got back with our 273QBXL last night. I'm pretty impressed with it. I went in expecting the worst and came out very happy. I don't know what it looked like when it came from the factory but our dealer must have really cleaned it up. It didn't have any of the sawdust, rough cuts or imperfections like some people have described. Now we haven't taken her out so I'm sure there will be some issues. I hope you have as great of an experience as I did picking your unit up!
We have a week left. I sure hope its a smooth pickup and minimal issues after the first trip that weekend. They are installing air vent covers and the sway control system for me. I'm trying to decide what accessories I need to buy before I go now. Gotta get stuff ordered. Guess I need to go do a price check on things they have there, and what they are giving me to start, so I can decide where is the best place to purchase.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #48

Quote:
We have a week left. I sure hope its a smooth pickup and minimal issues after the first trip that weekend. They are installing air vent covers and the sway control system for me. I'm trying to decide what accessories I need to buy before I go now. Gotta get stuff ordered. Guess I need to go do a price check on things they have there, and what they are giving me to start, so I can decide where is the best place to purchase.
I found that even with the discount they gave me amazon was still the cheapest price, and if you have prime 2 days shipping for free is worth it.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
I found that even with the discount they gave me amazon was still the cheapest price, and if you have prime 2 days shipping for free is worth it.
HAHA.. yeah.. I knew they would be overpriced, but thought maybe the year of 20% discount was something to offset the overpricing. GEEZE I had no idea it was going to be SO overpriced. I kind of even regret buying the vent covers from them, but at least I don't have to worry about installing them correctly I guess.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #50

Quote:
HAHA.. yeah.. I knew they would be overpriced, but thought maybe the year of 20% discount was something to offset the overpricing. GEEZE I had no idea it was going to be SO overpriced. I kind of even regret buying the vent covers from them, but at least I don't have to worry about installing them correctly I guess.
I know, my husband ended up having knee surgery last year after our first ever trip in our TT. We wanted to add front stabilizers since ours only came with rear so we paid the dealer to install them. He would have done them if he could have and we should have just waited till this year, besides the price they used sheet metal screws and from just sitting all winter all but two broke.

If you can do it yourself your better off.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
I know, my husband ended up having knee surgery last year after our first ever trip in our TT. We wanted to add front stabilizers since ours only came with rear so we paid the dealer to install them. He would have done them if he could have and we should have just waited till this year, besides the price they used sheet metal screws and from just sitting all winter all but two broke.

If you can do it yourself your better off.
Definitely... I think if I hadn't had a site booked for 2 days after getting it, and already had to get them to move my date of pickup up because of that... i would have just done it myself. Pretty sure I'll just do the rest on my own. I'm not a mechanic or anything but I'm fairly handy. And I think after the vent covers nothing else will be a seal concern.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #52

Congratulations on your new camper! I feel your excitement--I just took delivery myself 10 days ago of my first camper, a 2016 261bhxl. I've spent the the last ten days packing it and plan on our maiden voyage this weekend to a state park 3 hours away. I haven't discovered any problems yet, but I'll be sure and report back if I come across anything. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspot01 View Post
Congratulations on your new camper! I feel your excitement--I just took delivery myself 10 days ago of my first camper, a 2016 261bhxl. I've spent the the last ten days packing it and plan on our maiden voyage this weekend to a state park 3 hours away. I haven't discovered any problems yet, but I'll be sure and report back if I come across anything. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Nice! Congrats to you too ... glad to see how good that color scheme looks behind a silver truck lol. I have 2 days to pack her up, but I'm sure I will forget something because of it!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:38 PM   #54

Yep, we bought a lot of basics through Amazon. Prime is awesome. We did buy a few little items here and there, mainly Walmart. Our local dealer is way overpriced. $4200 overpriced on the trailer! That's why we traveled to get ours. There a several good threads on what people think you should have to get started. Check them out if you haven't already!

2016 Ram 3500 Diesel DRW Limited
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 273QBXL
Jasdow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdow77 View Post
Yep, we bought a lot of basics through Amazon. Prime is awesome. We did buy a few little items here and there, mainly Walmart. Our local dealer is way overpriced. $4200 overpriced on the trailer! That's why we traveled to get ours. There a several good threads on what people think you should have to get started. Check them out if you haven't already!
I think we got an OK price on the trailer. I've seen it for more elsewhere. We paid 16,9 for it with an extended 5 year warranty. I hate that it only comes with a power cable. Hopefully it's of decent quality. Other than that, we got the vent covers added. I have to purchase sewer hose and stands, black tank sprayer, 50 to 30 adapter, 50 surge protector (all the sites we have booked so far are 50 amp hookup), chocks, water hose, filter, pressure controller, level, and tank chemicals. One of the tank drops says it eats up regular paper, so I figure I shouldn't need to buy special paper. Which is good because we buy paper products in very large bulk numbers. lol, like I just bought 1200 rolls of paper towels that should last me a very very long time. I figured I can cut a 2x8 into 1 foot sections for leveling a lot cheaper than buying the plastic blocks.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Thanks! I've heard staying lose for the first trip is a must. We're heading about an hour away for ours the same weekend we pick it up.
Picked ours up last December and 1st trip was 730 miles from home. I thought that was close enough since it was winter and cool in SE NC so we went to FL.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Picked ours up last December and 1st trip was 730 miles from home. I thought that was close enough since it was winter and cool in SE NC so we went to FL.
lol, I can't imagine camping in December here. We recently moved up from Arkansas... had a mild winter.. and I still froze
Old 05-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #58

Quote:
lol, I can't imagine camping in December here. We recently moved up from Arkansas... had a mild winter.. and I still froze
We moved down from Ohio to the southern coast of NC. "NO MO SNO"! It is not 'cold' here, it is Yankee Cool but FL is warmer. Made reservations to return this winter before we left.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
We moved down from Ohio to the southern coast of NC. "NO MO SNO"! It is not 'cold' here, it is Yankee Cool but FL is warmer. Made reservations to return this winter before we left.
must be nice lol
Old 05-12-2016, 01:22 AM   #60
Site Team

Congrats on your new Cruise Lite trailer! If you enjoy it half as much as I have my trailer then you will be pretty happy with it. I had a problem with the electric tongue jack the first day I took delivery but that was an dealer issue with the unit they elected to install. The dealer upgraded the jack and I have not had a problem with it since.

As you get out and camp in it you will end up determining your camping style. I brought a lot of stuff thinking I would need it but ended up returning half of it unused for a refund. I try to keep the stuff in my trailer down to a minimum when possible. I camp solo so I don't really have a need for some items most people will need and want which is where my camping style comes into play.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer