Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #1

Hemisphere 356qbq

Has any one else had the outside wall seperate from inside wall ? I can stick my fingers 3 knuckles deep between interior and exterior wall on the wall with 3 slides ! I'm not satisfied at all with the quality workmanship of forest river ! I bought this camper brand new in feb . Used it 4 times and have had to return it to dealer every time i get back with other problems i now have a list of 13 items that have to be repaired. But I'm not sure i even want to pay on something that wall is falling off

Salem hemi 356qbq 5er towing with a 2500 hd duramax diesel
jdavis12373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1406324878.114845.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	804.8 KB
ID:	59001Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1406324915.815337.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	782.7 KB
ID:	59002Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1406324954.970987.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	758.5 KB
ID:	59003

Old 07-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #3

I have the twin the Heritage Glen 356qbq, have not experienced that. Sorry to hear about the problems. A trip back to the mfg might be a better option rather the dealer. I'd start by calling customer service. I've owned mine for over a year and put over 4k miles on it, had some minor convenience issues but I'd be all over that.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

Yeah kitchen sink tank valve dont hold , the closet door is pulling screws out of the ceiling , the hose holder on outdoor kitchen slide is broke , pinched a wire and blew a fuse on the other slide , stitching coming out of headboard , gray water smell under main sink . That's just what I can think of off top of my head

Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #5

Wow, sad to hear. I recently had the same wire pinched and blowing a fuse on the left rear bedroom slide, I bent the metal rod a little that mounts the plastic band and wires so that it clears the actuator. No problems since. They put that in a bad spot. I hope they fix it right for you, it's a great camper.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #6

Well im gonna give them the opportunity to fix it to my specs or replace it . It ridiculous to think a 40000 dollar camper and the main out side wall is coming loose with 4 uses . The last rv i had was a 1992 allegro we used it for 4 years and didnt even have to change a cabinet lock or hinge and it was 25 years old this is our first new rv , first 5th wheel , and first forest river and I'm very disappointed but I'm not gonna bash them till they dont get it right .

Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Is there an obvious bow in the wall when looking at it from the outside? Like when you pull your slides in, gap at top / gap at bottom and snug in middle, thus representing what you see on the inside?

Give them a chance before you bash too much. If you take the proper approach, you will get results, even if it means a trip back to the factory and a whole new side wall (Very possible). And don't expect perfection. That's the first mistake everybody makes when they buy one. I don't care if you paid $100k for it, it will have issues. Our 2012 Tiffin Allegro had as many or more issues than the fifth wheel we have now. We got it all fixed though, after taking the proper approach. Just can't put a dollar value on what will, should, or should not have issues. They all suck to some degree in my opinion. One man spends $15k on a trailer, and he's mad and expects perfection, and another guy spends $250k on a MH, and he's mad all the same.

Believe me, I know where you're coming from, but I know how to get them fixed too. We have a LOT of experience fixing.

Please hang in there. There are tons of people on here that will do anything they can to assist, as long as things aren't coming across as a heated discussion.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #8

I'm not fixing anything its brand new under warranty . I also cant afford a trip to the factory . Im in sc the factory is way out in Indiana im on my last bit of vaction rt now . And who wants a new camper that has had a whole side replaced ? They need to buy it back or give me an even trade out . I'm not trying to be combative just venting

Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Plain Old Member

It happens, all manufacturers included. I understand the vent. I've done it too. Got to every now and then. You don't have to bring it to the factory. If it comes to that, they will come get it, and return it. I know the thought of one having a new sidewall doesn't sound good, but you'd be surprised how simple of a process it is. I got to watch one a couple of years ago. Even then, I'd have a hard time with it. You should see my list. I've already had our front cap fixed once, changed once, and fixing to be fixed again due to cracking. Had a soaked bedroom slide floor changed due to factory missing some sealant. Several plumbing leaks. I could go on, but not necessary. Probably 30+ issues, most of which I've fixed myself to save the trip to the dealer. Warranty or not, I have to pay for the fuel to get it there, so I opt to do it myself if at all possible. The cap and slide floor were the only things that really required the dealer trip. We've had a lot of issues in our 7 months of ownership. But, the rig is almost 100% now. All this was after 2 previous motorhomes, both of which had to go back to the factory for repairs.

I hope you have some luck getting the repairs done. I'm 99% sure they won't buy it back. Might work with you on a trade though. I've seen both sidewalls and a roof changed on a fairly new Tiffin. They would not buy it back as long as it can be fixed like new.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #10

I understand I've fixed several things myself and have carried it back 3 times to dealer they fix the stuff on the list and the next trip more troubles . It's terrible that here in America we are supposed to make the best things in the world but we have lost our pride in workmanship . What bothers me is if its given this much trouble in 4 trips i have along time before it's paid off im not sure it will last even til pay off . I'm just not used to buying something brand new and it having this many issues . If I had known this i would have kept buying used rvs . I bought this one cause i was tired of buying every ones wore out junk and rebuilding it . I guess i still bought someone's junk I'll just have to rebuild it too I'll just have a payment to boot

Old 07-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

The QC has definitely taken a dive, but, look at the sheer quantity of units the market is spitting out now. You cannot build the same unit twice as fast and expect the same quality. The market is so fast now, I'm hesitant to buy anything until it slows down again. Or, as my wife and I have discussed a lot over the last few years, just build our own.

In our case, we sold our house and wrote a check for our rig to full time. So you can imagine my thoughts when we started having issues. This is the first rig we've had that was paid for, and it makes a big difference in your gut feeling when things go wrong. At least with the finance, you're out some money, but you're not out the whole $50k plus with a problem sitting in your lap.

I think most brands are in a close race in quality. It's the dealer, service, and help from the manufacturer that will make or break you.

Is your dealer taking care of things so far?
Have you contacted the factory service directly to see what their thoughts are?
Don't let your dealer play middle man if they're a problem. Go directly to the source, in a polite manner.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #12

My dealer has been great . I talked to some customer service guy but wasn't to thrilled with him . But that was before the wall started turning loose . He just wanted to find a closer dealer cause its a 150 mi round trip and that's the part he took out of the whole conversation . I told him it was that far and I had lost three to six hours Each trip not to mention the fuel . I run my own business and I get 65 an hour and my time is valuable to me but he kinda blew me off but I get off this trip sunday and I'm taking it to the dealer friday so I'm hoping they will take care of it . They said they would make it rt so I'm crossing my fingers

Old 07-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis12373 View Post
I'm not fixing anything its brand new under warranty . I also cant afford a trip to the factory . Im in sc the factory is way out in Indiana im on my last bit of vaction rt now . And who wants a new camper that has had a whole side replaced ? They need to buy it back or give me an even trade out . I'm not trying to be combative just venting

Hang in there as others stated, between your Dealer and more importantly the Factory, will eventually get it right for you. Unfortunately, as others have gone through similar problems and more & posted their results here, they won't buy back your rig or trade it on another but will do whatever it takes to make the repairs.

Keep us posted on your results and hope for a quick solution!

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #14

Well I'm not gonna be satified til they trade it or buy it back i had rather even trade for another manufacturer . I will involve a lawyer if need be

Old 07-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Well I'm not gonna be satified til they trade it or buy it back i had rather even trade for another manufacturer . I will involve a lawyer if need be

It seems you have already made up your mind on the direction you are taking. I doubt you will have the luck you are looking for, though. Your issues can be fixed. Have you been to the dealer on this slide issue to see what the real issue is?
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:22 AM   #16

Not yet im still camping til sun

Old 07-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Not yet im still camping til sun

At least you're still camping in it! Could be worse. Like others have said, take a deep breath, and give the dealer and factory a chance to address the issues. Your 25 yr old Allegro could have been the same headache for the original owners.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

Keep in mind, if you so much as throw the "lawyer" term out there to Forest River, you're on your own, or at least they'll help as little as possible. In that case, proceed with your plan B and move to another brand. As big a company as they are, believe me, they've dealt with that threat before, and know how to work it.

You could trade for another brand, and you might find yourself on that brands forum with the same or worse scenario. Trust me. If you buy another brand, and it's great, you'll swear it's better, all the while a guy with the same thing has got a lemon. It's a crap shoot. Just like you said your Allegro was great. Mine wasn't. Just the gamble you take.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #19

I understand that and agree my point is why should have to just settle we all have made them a big company thats what sucks

Old 07-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #20
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I heartly disagree with the "it happens" philosophy. It shouldn't happen -- period. Minor drips, leaking faucet, misaligned cabinet doors, sure - but it still shouldn't happen. But what jdavis is talking about sounds like more than a minor drip -- on a brand new trailer no less. Having your front cap fall off on a trip? That's serious. Sure they fixed it, but what did they do prevent it happening again? Try buying a $40k car and have the inner door panel come loose every time you open the door. Is that acceptable? No, the car manufacturer wouldn't put out a vehicle with that poor quality. If it did get by, it would get fixed pronto! If it happened frequently enough, the manufacturer would be out of business fast.
RVers spend a significant amount of $$ as a group, and we're told everyone has issues with new trailers and we should just deal with it . Why? Why are we so complacent?

BigJohnD, with all due respect (and I'm not looking to start a fight here), why shouldn't we expect perfection? It is a customer driven consumer world we live in. In any industry (except the RV industry is seems) the customer's satisfaction and expectations come first because that is what keeps companies in business. I believe the manufacturer's will come up to the level of our expectations, high or low. If we accept poor quality, or expect we'll have quality issues, then that's exactly what we'll get.
By the way, I have had issues with my Hemishpere, the dealer did take care of them immediately to my satisfaction, BUT I still shouldn't have had those issues.

I am the North America Quality Assurance Director for a major chemical company and I deal with customer complaints from MAJOR manufacturing entities. They demand immediate responses and containment programs for items such as typos on labels, sending the wrong kind of drum (plastic vs, steel) even though the product in it is the correct product. My job is to correct the problems and prevent recurrences. So I know it can be done.
Sorry for the length, and again, I'm not trying to start a rant.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote