Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #1

Hemisphere Common Failure Points

Hello everyone!

We will be picking up our new 2018 300BH on Saturday. This will be our 2nd RV, but the first we will have bought new.

I've searched and read through some of the various PDI checklists, but just wanted to see if there were any common points of failure / poor workmanship particularly to be on the lookout for Saturday and during the first few trips camping. DW and I are both teachers so we have about 25 nights booked prior to labor day, so it should get a good workout for sure! Just crossing our fingers and hoping nothing too major that can't be fixed quickly, or held off until after the season is over...

Thanks!
MDCampingDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #2

Ask if it has the easy lube axels, if not get them to install bearing buddies prior to it pulling off of the lot.

The LED awning lights on mine just did last past the first year, now replaced.
The entry lock locked itself and I had to drill the lock to get in, RVNation sent me a new entry lock.
Blown fuse on the remote modem , required removing the wall inside the storage area to replace it. (This pretty much shutdown everything )

Overall , minor problems with small cost to correct.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

Thanks for the heads up about the bearings...I didn't even think to ask about the axles I just assumed everyone used ez-lube axles by this point...

The fuse, I'm assuming is related to the remote control for the slides/etc ... was it just your typical DC blade style or a specialty? Sounds like something to have a back up just in case...I hate the idea of having to manually retract 3 slides, an awning, and all the stab jacks if it blows!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #4

I too assumed that they would use easy lube axels , not so.
The fuses on the modem are the large automotive blade fuses on mine , there are five if memory serves me well and the one that blew was 30 amp.
Our 5er is a 327RL but from what I have seen they are all constructed about the same.

Overall we are pleased with our purchase , it has been in 13 states and we winter over in Florida and in Texas . The furnace could stand to be a little larger in the BTU range but using the fireplace to warm up the living area in the mornings made it quite nice.
Good luck with your purchase and happy camping.
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

Check that your slide sits evenly (front to back) inside the wall opening. On my new Hemisphere you could almost slide your hand in next to the front seal and on the back side it was so tight it pulled the rubber gasket out of the window when going in and out. I took it back to the dealer three times and they adjusted it, but I was never satisfied. I went to the FROG rally in Goshen and FR discovered the camber on the frame was out. Where it should have had positive camber (arch), on the slide side it had negative camber (sag).

They took it back to the Lippert shop, straightened it, reinforced it, and it has been fine ever since. While working on it, they discovered the fresh water tank brackets were about to give way and they reinforced those as well.
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote