Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Hemisphere TT Frame Construction...

We are investigating several RV's for our next purchase.

The "baby" of the Hemisphere TT line is the 232IS and we like it; a lot.

But, I need more information about the way it is constructed.

Specifically what I need is information about the frame itself and what is and/or is not recommended for use.

We like to go off the beaten path which means dirt/gravel roads in National Forests and other such locations. And Mexico beckons and the roads can be marginal at times.

While we really do not want anything over 25' the 26' length of the 232IS is within reason; the other unit we are considering is 25' 10" so the length is really not an issue for us.

The manufacturer of the other trailer provides significant documentation that specifically states that their unit can handle the stress of off road use. They even post/brag about the independent certification process that they subject their frames to for inspection and will discuss this willingly.

I am finding it very difficult to get information about Forest River products and they sure do make it difficult for a customer to contact the factory.

We come from the Airstream world where the factory greets their customers with open arms. We have been spoiled and find it hard to believe that a company hides itself from its customers as Forest River appears to do.

I have found a few email addresses on this forum for people in the Salem division of Forest River and have requested information re; frame construction and use and/or to be directed to the appropriate individual who can provide that info.

And, I have looked on this forum and found numerous folks unhappy with problems on their 5th wheel frames but I have not found much on TT frames other than people talking about them twisting when leveling in campgrounds and this, frankly, amazes me. I cannot imagine a vehicle frame being so flexible that it flexes to the point of causing problems just due to leveling in a campground.

So, anyone with specific information related to the Hemisphere line and especially info on the 232IS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim, the new guy....
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Greetings Jim,
Welcome to the forum.
We have a Hemi 282 RK TT new-- about 33' tongue to bumper, and while we don't go "off roading", we have absolutely no complaints or qualms about the construction of the frame or superstructure. (Yes we did have a problem with the black tank slipping out of it's cradle and, from other posts, some have had the same problem with their grey or fresh tanks too. Make sure your dealer knows you are aware of these potential issues.)

Getting back to the frame issue, I agree with you, I find it unlikely the frame twisting just by putting it up on leveling blocks.
I agree, FR does not give the owner a wealth of knowledge, especially in the Salem line, you can't seem to find a good phone # anywhere and particularily on the Salem or FR web site. Perhaps ask your delaer who their contact person is. I did that and my delaer was very helpful.

I found 2 phone # contacts for Forest River Industries in Elkhart, IN:

574-389-1801
574-296-7700

I'm not sure who this will get you to but ask to speak with the Quality Assurance Director / Manager or the Sales Manager.

Hope this helps in your decision.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame