Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #1

Hemisphere vs Salem - worthy upgrade?

we got our Salem 27rkss camper last fall and are very happy with it. Looking down the road the one thing I would like to have is fiberglass exterior to make keeping the camper clean a little easier. It was just not in the budget this time around, hoping in a few years to revisit it. I do like the idea of the aluminum construction on the Hemisphere. Is the Hemisphere a worthy upgrade from the standard Salem? I realize this is a judgement call, but looking for opinions from current owners.

Thanks !
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have the Hemishpere version of your unit and the floor plan works really great for us (although a little more room in the bedroom to move around in is the only complaint) I wish they would put a small slide in the bedroom.

I believe the Hemi is a good upgrade, and it's not just the fiberglass exterior. True it is easier to clean, but the aluminum framing and lighter weight are also benefits.
I don't know if your std Salem has these features, but the Hemi's come with enclosed underbelly to keep and protect your components, the heat duct goes through this also, but while Forest River touts it's a heated underbelly, it really isn't. Hemisphere's also have a radius interior ceiling which makes it look and feel a little more spacious (again I'm not sure about your unit). We looked at the std Salem version of our 282RK and decided for the extra $$ we'd get a structurally better unit, a little nicer furnishings, and better resale or trade in value. the bedroom is also laid out with a dresser and wardrobe at the foot of the bed against the bathroom wall (the Hemi is a foot longer than the std), and a hinged bedroom door. We had the option of an outdoor kitchen which we declined in favor of more storage.

I think you did well with your unit, and I don't think you could go wrong with the Hemisphere either. MHO.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #3

thanks! your opinions echo my thoughts on the units, it's good to have confirmation that I was on the right track. the Salem also has the vaulted interior ceiling and the enclosed underbelly, both great features which helped sell us on the TT in the 1st place. but storage in the br is limited and the extra 1' of cabinet space would be welcome.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem, upgrade