Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #1

Hi Salem Owners - Advice for Buying a New 2007 Salem

Hi! I am new here and thinking of buying a Salem LE 23BH. I love the layout and features (particularly the large fresh water tank!) and love the Northwest Package - which I hear is a great addition for us that live in the colder climates!

Just curious how you have found your Salem to be and if there are any questions I should be asking my dealer (or deals I should be making ahead of time) if I decide to factory order the Salem.

I am going to use the trailer quite frequently (about 60 days per year - half of which will be frequent weekend trips), and I am a tad nervous that this particular trailer may be too 'entry level' for my needs and may not withstand the test of time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Paula
pokee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 AM   #2

I'm a Salem owner but won't be of much help, as mine is already 5 years old, bought it second hand and is a 27' 5th wheel. Ask what all northwest package contains (mine says that next to the outside door but not sure what I got). Check if you get pneumatic bed lifts, and where the circuit board is for the slide out (if the trailer has one. Mine was somewhere inside the exterior wall, not accessable). But for the value and all the time we spend in it each year (7 to 9 weeks) we are pleased.

congrads on your new "mobile" home.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee99 View Post
Hi! I am new here and thinking of buying a Salem LE 23BH. I love the layout and features (particularly the large fresh water tank!) and love the Northwest Package - which I hear is a great addition for us that live in the colder climates!

Just curious how you have found your Salem to be and if there are any questions I should be asking my dealer (or deals I should be making ahead of time) if I decide to factory order the Salem.

I am going to use the trailer quite frequently (about 60 days per year - half of which will be frequent weekend trips), and I am a tad nervous that this particular trailer may be too 'entry level' for my needs and may not withstand the test of time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Paula
Hi Paula, and welcome to the group. Our's is a 2005 401_2b (current model is 402-2b). This is our 4th Travel trailer and we love it. Although I must admit my in-laws have a 27' LE and aren't as pleased with the down-gradee features LE has. Most 'entry level" trailers, whether marked LE or other, are manufactured a little less solidly - thinner roof decking, that sort of thing, but still fine. The inside materials though - cushion material and thickness or uphostery quality for instance - might be noticeable and a little disappointing. It's usually good advice to get as much quality as you can afford.

I think the most important thing is a thorough pre-delivery inspection. While ours was still on the lot, we brought an experienced camper with us and, armed with flashlights and pad and paper, we wrote down everything we saw as wrong or weak or in need of improvement. We had the dealer hook it to power and water and tried everything from taps to toilet. When we worked out our deal, we went over the list and gave it to him to work on. He photocopied the list and we checked it all over with him present when delivered. That saved us a LOT of problems.

Good luck! Glynn
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rdturn
I am a 2 time Salem owner and couldnt be happier. Both units have served their use. I have already been out a total of 50 days this year in the new one and still have about 2 more weeks of trips to take. I wouldnt worry about durability unless you really plan on keeping it for years. I will either sell or trade mine in 3 - 4 years. Good luck.
rdturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
So far...We are very satisfied with our SALEM PT.
Nothing 'entry level' about it.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
RAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
So far...We are very satisfied with our SALEM PT.
Nothing 'entry level' about it.
How do you have a days camped thing? You don't camp in your hotel on wheels!
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

You are right...I fixed it.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #8
RAC

heheheh I like it!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Oh yea...back to the topic...

As far as travel trailers go...I've only owned 3 different brands...all purchased brand new.

1. Palomino MXL RL (tent trailer)
2. Keystone OUTBACK 25RSS (26' - 2 slides)
3. Forest River Salem 392 FLFB (40' Park Model)

Pretty much, small, medium, large.
All had their good points...but overall, the Salem has a much better fit and finish than the others. I really liked the OUTBACK, but, even brand new...it was plagued with many problems from the start. Once problems were all fixed ...it was great.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
RAC

and you will notice that Jolly has a fix for everything, and if he hasn't fixed it, he's improved it.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
The Jolly Mon

yea...I love to "mod" things. It's just that sometimes...I think I'm more 'handy' than I really am.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
RAC

Can't wait for you to come south so I can get you to Jollytize my TT
Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #13

has any one had warranty issues, Forest River told me that the factory unit warrnaty does not cover second owner
strester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #14

Again, you guys have given me advice, pre-delivery inspection (welshman599 and ndjollymon) without you even directly giving it. Love this forum
We did a walkthrough of our trailer, but i didn't write down all the points to fix, silly me, but my excuse is I had 3 kids with me : )
They said they were doing a pdi so I will go over every conceivable device with them, no kids at that meeting.

Take care and thanks again!
partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
The Jolly Mon

Glad to help. Just find anything not working, damaged, or not to your liking. Good luck, and enjoy that new unit! CONGRATS!

Tags
salem