Old 02-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #11

We hit a orange cone with generator exhaust pipe. It flipped up and crushed the metal skirt on our TH on our 1st trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 02-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #12
(Dry Huunday)

As previously mentioned, the lanes are wide enough though it may not look it. Slow down keep it to the right and you will be fine!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
We hit a orange cone with generator exhaust pipe. It flipped up and crushed the metal skirt on our TH on our 1st trip.

That should have never happened............ I have been told in by VDOT safety in Virginia if you hit a cone in a work zone it is the same fine and penalty as if you hit a construction worker.............. there is no reason to hit a cone....... You must keep control of your vehicle, there is plenty of room in the lanes between the cones. Keep it in the lane............ Practice, learn, and do......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #14

Several years ago while driving my Class C across the Mackinac Bridge on a very windy day, I felt a funny vibration for about 15 seconds. Turns out I scrapped the exhaust pipe on the high curb. Boy, was the end of that pipe bright and shiny!

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That should have never happened............ I have been told in by VDOT safety in Virginia if you hit a cone in a work zone it is the same fine and penalty as if you hit a construction worker.............. there is no reason to hit a cone....... You must keep control of your vehicle, there is plenty of room in the lanes between the cones. Keep it in the lane............ Practice, learn, and do......

There was one cone 2 feet into my lane. The exhaust pipe sticks out 10 inches past the edge of the TH. The other side of the TH had a 6inch drop. I've been towing trailers for over 29 years. Maybe there should be fines for the DOT worker doing a bad job. I've never seen a cone guy measuring where they put the cones! Maybe they need to be trained and keep the cones where they belong, there are codes on how wide the road needs to be. 😱😵😜

Old 02-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #16

Quote:
There was one cone 2 feet into my lane. The exhaust pipe sticks out 10 inches past the edge of the TH. The other side of the TH had a 6inch drop. I've been towing trailers for over 29 years. Maybe there should be fines for the DOT worker doing a bad job. I've never seen a cone guy measuring where they put the cones! Maybe they need to be trained and keep the cones where they belong, there are codes on how wide the road needs to be. 😱😵😜

Yes you are right there is a regulation on lane width and cones and the VDOT workers are well trained on how to set them. but they do get bumped and spun around on occasion. The bigger problem is keeping traffic where it belongs.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Several years ago while driving my Class C across the Mackinac Bridge on a very windy day, I felt a funny vibration for about 15 seconds. Turns out I scrapped the exhaust pipe on the high curb. Boy, was the end of that pipe bright and shiny!

Expensive curb feeler... Remember those..

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Yes you are right there is a regulation on lane width and cones and the VDOT workers are well trained on how to set them. but they do get bumped and spun around on occasion. The bigger problem is keeping traffic where it belongs.......

In my state we have 3-5 workers watching 1 guy work. But when there throwing cones off a back of a flat bed truck 3-5 of the workers are in the cab texting there girl friends and drinking coffee.
Now we sub contract the road work out to save money and I still don't see anyone measuring where the cones go. It must be different in Virginia !

Old 02-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #19
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
In my state we have 3-5 workers watching 1 guy work. But when there throwing cones off a back of a flat bed truck 3-5 of the workers are in the cab texting there girl friends and drinking coffee.
Now we sub contract the road work out to save money and I still don't see anyone measuring where the cones go. It must be different in Virginia !

You must live in PA and see PennDOT out there....

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #20

NJ but drive through PA a lot.