Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
In my state we have 3-5 workers watching 1 guy work. But when there throwing cones off a back of a flat bed truck 3-5 of the workers are in the cab texting there girl friends and drinking coffee.
Now we sub contract the road work out to save money and I still don't see anyone measuring where the cones go. It must be different in Virginia !

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
They do measure where the cones go .............. It is not a physical measurement but based usually on the white dashed line. & It may look like 3-5 guys watching one guy work but stay out there with them it really is not that way at all... Yea Virginia started sub contracting out some of the work and found it costs 3-5 times more for a contractor to do the same job.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #22
Site Team

The OP asked a valid question and deserves respectable answers. Several of the responses are not productive and inconsiderate. They have been temporarily unapproved. The forum is here to provide assistance to FR owners some of whom are new to towing large trailers. If you can provide helpful information please do so and do it respectfully, if not, please refrain from posting.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
I am used to pull 7 feet trailer. Now I have 8 feet wide Cruise Lite 195BH.
Some of the interstate when there is a road construction, the lanes becomes a very narrow 2 lanes.
I remember even with 7 feet wide trailer, I already keep looking at the mirror fearing that it would scrape those concrete road divider, or fearing that it would scrape other vehicle passing by casing accident
I'm particularly concerned when a semi pass my by on a narrow road.
Now that I'm pulling 8 feet wide I'm more concerned with narrow highway under construction.
What do you all do with 8 feet wide trailers in narrrow road like that?
Even with sway control, there would at least be a little bit of tail wagging when a semi pass by.
We all have a learning curve and the comfort of driving an RV only comes from experience. The more you drive and use your unit the more comfortable you will get.

We live on a small Island serviced by..... a small ferry. With my mirrors in towing mode I have less then 2 inches on each side when boarding and exiting the ferry. I have yet to bump the mirrors, keep my focus on the center 4-5 truck lengths ahead of me.

When I drive in narrow places with our rig, like boarding a ferry, or driving the Mex 1 down the Baja in Mexico (it is very narrow lanes in places with lots of semi trailers passing and coming at us), I don't worry to much about looking in the side mirrors, the trailer will follow where the truck goes (unless you take some sharp corners). Rather concentrate on keeping your tow vehicle where it is supposed to be..... like I said the trailer will follow.

A friend of mine did some practice driving with his truck and trailer in a Walmart / Costco parking lot (after hours) to see how close he was to the lines. He stopped and had a look to see where he was at. He said it gave him great confidence.

Don't feel bad about your worries, it just gives you more anxiety. We all have at one time or another been worried abut this.

Go out there and practice a bit and have fun

Good luck
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #24

An 8' camper never bother me much as I towed 8 1/2' wide boat trailers. Once another truck and I clipped mirrors so now if real tight I hit the switch and bring my mirrors in.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #25
Happy Keystone Owner

highway road construction, narrow

Plenty of room. Just stay far to the right.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #26

An old trucker's trick I was taught about 55 years ago when I first started driving flatbeds, hauling steel and concrete. The idea was to pick a point as far ahead as you could see in the middle of the road and focus mainly on that. Don't stare fixedly to the elimination of anything else. Just look far ahead at the middle of the road.
Do not focus on what is close up, except where the road curves but look as far out as you can. If you look at the middle of the road a long way off, you just automatically keep to the center as you drive. Further, your peripheral vision takes in any risk close up. Just relax and look out as far as you can up the road.
Do not stare fixedly but keep scanning. Like pilots, set up a scan pattern of looking down the road, in the cab at your gauges, checking your mirrors and back down the road -- all relaxed and part of a pattern, keeping your eyes moving, gathering information and adjusting to conditions you see. Makes planning your stops safer because you are scanning far ahead. Fewer panic stops and much more relaxed day. Far fewer surprises and you just feel safer as you move down the road.
Much safer way to drive than trying to focus up close and be constantly adjusting to stay in the middle. That makes driving a lot more stressful and difficult when you are focusing close up and constantly adjusting. Look far out and it will keep you in the center automatically.
Been doing that ever since and been through a fair amount of construction without mishaps. Our motor home is a full 8'2" wide, not counting the mirrors which project out a bit more. I tow a full deck, tilt bed flat bed trailer which is 8'4" and carries our 3/4 ton truck behind the motor home. Went through San Antonio when they redid all the roads, up and down, narrow lanes and sudden exits. Won't say I enjoyed it but made it just fine. My vision trick got me through unscathed and it was how truckers were taught to drive many years ago. Also went through Dallas and Houston when a great deal of road construction was going on and made it just fine. Been in New England on roads so narrow that they are not fit for much other than maybe a donkey cart and got through. Held my breath a few times but it worked out.
Try it with a smaller vehicle and see if it doesn't work very well. Once comfortable, move up to the bigger rig.
Further, I was taught that slowing much below the speed most traffic was moving was a dangerous practice. Better to look out far ahead and keep the speed up to the rest of the traffic.
2003 Monaco Executive 45', 8'2" wide, Cummins ISX engine
2013 Chevy 3/4 ton 2500 HD Silverado/Duramax
18' full steel deck hydraulic tilt bed trailer (8'4"wide steel deck), with overall length of 24' including tongue and "rounddown"
27' Outback toy hauler
2012 Nissan Armada
MacII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:04 AM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Now that is a travel worthy combo...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:28 AM   #28

I don't like driving in construction zones to begin with, but I learned to pick a spot in the road as MACII said above. When I enter the zone I look at both sides to see the clearance and then pick my spot ahead of me. The worst part is the lane changes and rough road when they have to change a pattern. I don't think anyone enjoy's it but you will get use to it. If two semis can pass I know I can make it through. DOT has to make sure they give the required space for each lane. I think it more of a mental thing driving next to the concrete wall then anything else. I would much rather hit a cone then that wall.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I don't like driving in construction zones to begin with, but I learned to pick a spot in the road as MACII said above. When I enter the zone I look at both sides to see the clearance and then pick my spot ahead of me. The worst part is the lane changes and rough road when they have to change a pattern. I don't think anyone enjoy's it but you will get use to it. If two semis can pass I know I can make it through. DOT has to make sure they give the required space for each lane. I think it more of a mental thing driving next to the concrete wall then anything else. I would much rather hit a cone then that wall.
X3 as MACII said above. That's how I was taught to drive a car by my Dad many many moons ago. Construction zones are not fun and as always watch closely and expect the unexpected.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

It is a mental thing. When on a highway you will ride just as close and sometimes closer to the cars next to you in the other lanes. You'll approach and pass on coming traffic at 50mph on narrower surface streets without a thought.. Just need to take a deep breath and work through it. As with many things, you'll get better at it with time and practice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #31

You need to understand highway rules, if there is no markings (narrow road ahead) then it has to be 10 ft wide, so you have 2 feet to work with.
Yes you will need to slow down and yes some truck drivers coming the other way don't but this is just driving today and YOU need to keep you eyes open and work with it the best you can.
My coach is 8 ft wide also and yes there a some white knuckle trips in constructions zones but that's driving.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
You need to understand highway rules, if there is no markings (narrow road ahead) then it has to be 10 ft wide, so you have 2 feet to work with.
Yes you will need to slow down and yes some truck drivers coming the other way don't but this is just driving today and YOU need to keep you eyes open and work with it the best you can.
My coach is 8 ft wide also and yes there a some white knuckle trips in constructions zones but that's driving.
Yes ~~~ driving today is different than in the 60s and 70s and even 80s. As a GENERALALITY all drivers are not as courteous as they were. I can remember nearly every time a semi was passed by a 'civilian with trailer' the driver would flash his lights when you cleared and could pull back in the lane as one example.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #33

We drive slow and I stare in the side mirrors like it's my job while hubby's driving. It doesn't really seem to bother him though.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #34
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Yes ~~~ driving today is different than in the 60s and 70s and even 80s. As a GENERALALITY all drivers are not as courteous as they were. I can remember nearly every time a semi was passed by a 'civilian with trailer' the driver would flash his lights when you cleared and could pull back in the lane as one example.
X2
Tommy Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #35

My 2 cents...
It's good to 'get up on the wheel' but you need to stay loose enough otherwise you will get tired out very soon if you are in the'white knucle' mode for very long. The idea of practicing at a parking lot as said you can mark off the distance of the side of your trailer in relation to where you are sitting then look out into the distance. I've done something similar when driving along the flat and straight highway when no other vehicles around I'd move over until I ran over the little bumps in the road then back to where I needed to be and check in the mirror relationship to the line. It was just another reference point for 'seat of pants' driving. Just keep practicing 'driving the center' and watching where the side of your trailer is in relation to the line even when on wide, straight, highways you will be prepared for when it gets tight. After just a little while you should just know where you need it to be instinctively and 'committed to muscle memory' so you can relax but be alert to react quickly. Hopefully you will have some wide empty spaces to practice on.

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummings
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #36

highway road construction, narrow

I do the opposite and it works for me. I hardly even look at my mirrors in construction zones, just a glance now and then. I just concentrate on staying in the center of the lane. I found out early in my towing experiences that when I was constantly checking my mirrors I would drift out of the center of the lane.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I do the opposite and it works for me. I hardly even look at my mirrors in construction zones, just a glance now and then. I just concentrate on staying in the center of the lane. I found out early in my towing experiences that when I was constantly checking my mirrors I would drift out of the center of the lane.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
X2
Old 02-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That should have never happened............ I have been told in by VDOT safety in Virginia if you hit a cone in a work zone it is the same fine and penalty as if you hit a construction worker.............. there is no reason to hit a cone....... You must keep control of your vehicle, there is plenty of room in the lanes between the cones. Keep it in the lane............ Practice, learn, and do......
HMMMM... so you have never seen a cone out of place?
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #39

Right about the mirrors lbrjet, I meant during practice to help get a feel where you need to be.
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
Agreed. Look forward keep looking forward and hold the center. Looking at the mirrors will only pull you off center. The camper trailer has never been a problem nor has our boat trailer that is 9 feet wide at the wheels as the boat itself has an 8 foot beam.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote