Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #31

You need to understand highway rules, if there is no markings (narrow road ahead) then it has to be 10 ft wide, so you have 2 feet to work with.
Yes you will need to slow down and yes some truck drivers coming the other way don't but this is just driving today and YOU need to keep you eyes open and work with it the best you can.
My coach is 8 ft wide also and yes there a some white knuckle trips in constructions zones but that's driving.

silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
You need to understand highway rules, if there is no markings (narrow road ahead) then it has to be 10 ft wide, so you have 2 feet to work with.
Yes you will need to slow down and yes some truck drivers coming the other way don't but this is just driving today and YOU need to keep you eyes open and work with it the best you can.
My coach is 8 ft wide also and yes there a some white knuckle trips in constructions zones but that's driving.
Yes ~~~ driving today is different than in the 60s and 70s and even 80s. As a GENERALALITY all drivers are not as courteous as they were. I can remember nearly every time a semi was passed by a 'civilian with trailer' the driver would flash his lights when you cleared and could pull back in the lane as one example.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #33

We drive slow and I stare in the side mirrors like it's my job while hubby's driving. It doesn't really seem to bother him though.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #34
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Yes ~~~ driving today is different than in the 60s and 70s and even 80s. As a GENERALALITY all drivers are not as courteous as they were. I can remember nearly every time a semi was passed by a 'civilian with trailer' the driver would flash his lights when you cleared and could pull back in the lane as one example.
X2
Tommy Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #35

My 2 cents...
It's good to 'get up on the wheel' but you need to stay loose enough otherwise you will get tired out very soon if you are in the'white knucle' mode for very long. The idea of practicing at a parking lot as said you can mark off the distance of the side of your trailer in relation to where you are sitting then look out into the distance. I've done something similar when driving along the flat and straight highway when no other vehicles around I'd move over until I ran over the little bumps in the road then back to where I needed to be and check in the mirror relationship to the line. It was just another reference point for 'seat of pants' driving. Just keep practicing 'driving the center' and watching where the side of your trailer is in relation to the line even when on wide, straight, highways you will be prepared for when it gets tight. After just a little while you should just know where you need it to be instinctively and 'committed to muscle memory' so you can relax but be alert to react quickly. Hopefully you will have some wide empty spaces to practice on.

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummings
Old 02-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #36

highway road construction, narrow

I do the opposite and it works for me. I hardly even look at my mirrors in construction zones, just a glance now and then. I just concentrate on staying in the center of the lane. I found out early in my towing experiences that when I was constantly checking my mirrors I would drift out of the center of the lane.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I do the opposite and it works for me. I hardly even look at my mirrors in construction zones, just a glance now and then. I just concentrate on staying in the center of the lane. I found out early in my towing experiences that when I was constantly checking my mirrors I would drift out of the center of the lane.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
X2
Old 02-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
That should have never happened............ I have been told in by VDOT safety in Virginia if you hit a cone in a work zone it is the same fine and penalty as if you hit a construction worker.............. there is no reason to hit a cone....... You must keep control of your vehicle, there is plenty of room in the lanes between the cones. Keep it in the lane............ Practice, learn, and do......
HMMMM... so you have never seen a cone out of place?
Old 02-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #39

Right about the mirrors lbrjet, I meant during practice to help get a feel where you need to be.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
Agreed. Look forward keep looking forward and hold the center. Looking at the mirrors will only pull you off center. The camper trailer has never been a problem nor has our boat trailer that is 9 feet wide at the wheels as the boat itself has an 8 foot beam.

Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote